Sep 27, 2006
but why?
people are fine....

2i6f4lk.jpg

:devious:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I still don't get much this 4% thing. There is no point in increasing the budget if it's going to be spent using the same failed structure. They should have created a plan to reform the education paradigm, and then see how much they need to achieve it, not the other way around. But of course, it was a good method of propaganda and it stuck...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
4% is still bogus. I know, the DR is not the US of A but on average 44% of the local tax and 10% of federal expenditures are on school children. On average 10k per student. But why build schools when more malls are needed?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Back in the 80's you went to school from 8:00 to 12:00 a.m. or from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m., there were no Pruebas nacionales (National tests) and still students were more competent. The level of literacy that a college student has today can't even be compared to the one of an 8th grader a couple of decades ago.

They really think that by making the school day longer they will be able to improve education but, unless they have something groundbreaking in mind, the students are only going to end up getting more hours of the same stuff.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
the problem of school education is the same in all corrupt countries. Reminds me a conversation I had a few years ago in a wedding of a cousin of my wife, he was Portuguese and she was from Angola, she was daughter of a general. we are talking about the portuguese colonization of Angola,and in one moment i said that not everything was bad when Portugueses were in Angola, at least they had good houses, nice infrastructure and more importantly had a good education system and now there are a lot of kids quitting the school and more illiterate people.
General replied "education? schools to those savages?The more silly and stupid are better".:mad:
He was talking of his own people, ie they believe that ignorance is a blessing, and so the samr President can govern for over 30 years without being contested:bandit:,keeping the people ignorant he can dominate them for several years.
JT

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
they believe that ignorance is a blessing, and so the samr President can govern for over 30 years without being contested:bandit:,keeping the people ignorant he can dominate them for several years.
JT

For all I know, it's the same everywhere. The only difference is that in developed countries they do a better job at making us useful ignorants. In developing countries they just let them be plain ignorants. Lack of education is a sure formula for poor and ignorant countries, but the kind of education we've been taught in developed nations is nothing more than a sure formula to create useful employees, who are good for nothing else, and terribly afraid of losing our otherwise meaningless jobs, so we do whatever it takes to keep it. All of this time thinking we are happy and succesful because we own a house in the suburbs and a nice car, and our children go to college to perpetuate the cycle. Nothing new under the sun. It's still better than no education, but it's still the formula for eventual disaster. Education needs to change its paradigms. No more lectures, for god's sake. No more useless theory, no more classrooms, education must be a life experience, not a pass through a pen sharpener. Look at the way the anciente greek did it, and see all they accomplished. But, that would create leaders. That would create thinking beings that cannot be easily dominated by the few who run the show.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have 4 kids in "School" here in SD.
From Univ. to "High School" to "Grade School".
Have been going all their lives to top private school.
All that said, what they learn here at home, and from a private tutor 1 hour,5 days a week, from the family,and through travel is what COUNTS!
Sure, blame the government, the education system (Oxymoron Here?) but never forget, it's always the parents role to be sure that their kids get "Educated"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
As far as the "4% for Education" goes, never happened yet, and it hase been the "LAW" here for many years!
Maybe they can learn just by riding the "METRO"?????????????????

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I still don't get much this 4% thing. There is no point in increasing the budget if it's going to be spent using the same failed structure. They should have created a plan to reform the education paradigm, and then see how much they need to achieve it, not the other way around. But of course, it was a good method of propaganda and it stuck...

You have to start somewhere, you cannot get stuck saying there's no point investing on the same structure without providing any solution at all...ni lavan ni prestan la batea...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You have to start somewhere, you cannot get stuck saying there's no point investing on the same structure without providing any solution at all...ni lavan ni prestan la batea...

I think I explained where I thought they should start at...make a plan. You can't assign budget without a plan to spend it...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think I explained where I thought they should start at...make a plan. You can't assign budget without a plan to spend it...

How do you know there isn't a plan. There are a number of well developed and properly conceived plans but the problem lies with the capability of those in charge of implementing the plans, and those that will have to carry out the ground work. The capabilities just aren't there yet.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
How do you know there isn't a plan. There are a number of well developed and properly conceived plans but the problem lies with the capability of those in charge of implementing the plans, and those that will have to carry out the ground work. The capabilities just aren't there yet.

Well, they haven't explained the plan. If they had a plan, it would be all over the media. It would be good publicity, wouldn't it? We all know it was a campaign promise, and that it was under pressure from certain sectors. There is no way a plan could have been devised in 3 months. Not a serious plan, anyway.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Extreme, I can not agree with your theory.
To invest in a broken educational system does not improve that system.
"Good Money After Bad" comes to my mind.
Or, "Throwing Money Down A Rat Hole", also comes to mind.
The government is already doing just THAT!
It's called the "Metro"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
....there is no plan. Everything is smoke and mirrors. There is going to be no real improvement in the advancement of the entire dominican society without education.

They need to at least teach them math so they can work in the malls...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, they haven't explained the plan. If they had a plan, it would be all over the media. It would be good publicity, wouldn't it? We all know it was a campaign promise, and that it was under pressure from certain sectors. There is no way a plan could have been devised in 3 months. Not a serious plan, anyway.

4% is a dollars figure which has nothing to do with an education plan. The educational plan is well known to the educators in the DR. wHETHER THE PLAN IS A GOOD ONE OR NOT REMAINS TO BE SCENCE. a GREAT PLAN WITHOUT PROPER EXICUTION ENDS UP BEING NO PLAN AT ALL.

Dec 26, 2011
4% is a dollars figure which has nothing to do with an education plan. The educational plan is well known to the educators in the DR. wHETHER THE PLAN IS A GOOD ONE OR NOT REMAINS TO BE SCENCE. a GREAT PLAN WITHOUT PROPER EXICUTION ENDS UP BEING NO PLAN AT ALL.

Are you ok, Bob?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are you ok, Bob?

Fat fingers on a phone. Now that I'm back on a computer I should be all right. As someone who spent 30 years developing plans, reviewing plans, having plan A, B, and C, and seeing good well though-out plans turn to mush by poor execution I'm very experienced with what constitutes a good plan, and what doesn't. The Dominican education ministry has some reasonable plans dealing with improved teacher education, improved delivery of better teaching material, and an adult literacy program. They are publicized within the education community. Throwing more money in to these plans will NOT achieve anything substantial, based on past results, but you never know.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
For all I know, it's the same everywhere. The only difference is that in developed countries they do a better job at making us useful ignorants. In developing countries they just let them be plain ignorants. Lack of education is a sure formula for poor and ignorant countries, but the kind of education we've been taught in developed nations is nothing more than a sure formula to create useful employees, who are good for nothing else, and terribly afraid of losing our otherwise meaningless jobs, so we do whatever it takes to keep it. All of this time thinking we are happy and succesful because we own a house in the suburbs and a nice car, and our children go to college to perpetuate the cycle. Nothing new under the sun. It's still better than no education, but it's still the formula for eventual disaster. Education needs to change its paradigms. No more lectures, for god's sake. No more useless theory, no more classrooms, education must be a life experience, not a pass through a pen sharpener. Look at the way the anciente greek did it, and see all they accomplished. But, that would create leaders. That would create thinking beings that cannot be easily dominated by the few who run the show.

I can't agree more with your statement, that's why I like to be lion and not a sheep that follows always the others, everyone should have freedom of speech, should have a critical thought,do not believe everything that the media tries to shove in our eyes and we always should seek second opinions and ultimately decide what actions we take to make a better world;)
Have a nice day
JT

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Fat fingers on a phone. Now that I'm back on a computer I should be all right. As someone who spent 30 years developing plans, reviewing plans, having plan A, B, and C, and seeing good well though-out plans turn to mush by poor execution I'm very experienced with what constitutes a good plan, and what doesn't. The Dominican education ministry has some reasonable plans dealing with improved teacher education, improved delivery of better teaching material, and an adult literacy program. They are publicized within the education community. Throwing more money in to these plans will NOT achieve anything substantial, based on past results, but you never know.

I was discussing this with some family members and they said,sure 4% to be allotted for education.
But in actuality it's only 2%,the other 2% the ladrones will take.