Best way to get to Samana from Las Terrenas if you are going Whale Watching?

Islandboy2012

Nov 15, 2012
Does the any tour package include transporation? Or are you better off getting a cab? Am planning on booking a Whale Watching excursion the first week of February on Kim Beddall's boat (provided availability) she came highly recommended. We are staying in Las Terranas and it appears to be a good hour or so drive over to Samana. Thanks in advance.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
You'll need to check with each tour company to see what they provide- Some provide transportation, others don't!
4 years ago, we did a one-day car rental here in Las Terrenas and made the easy (and beautiful) drive to Samana where we went on Kim's boat (which also stopped at Cayo Levantado) to see the whales-- It was a slow day for whales, but still a good time!
Susan

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Susan is right. It is an easy drive from LT to Samana. Renting a car will doubtlessly be less expensive than the taxi. Also, some of the hotels in LT arrange transport to Samana for whale watching. Check with the place you are planning to stay. You have arranged what I consider a perfect winter vacation in the DR; LT as a home base, and travel to Samana to whale watch with the expert, Kim Beddall. Enjoy!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

There are some tour companies, which I believe, will provide transportation for Kim Beddell's Whale watching tour. It is about a 50 minute ride to the town docks where the tour leaves. There is a tour company in town across from Paseo Plaza which has an ad for Kim's tour on the building. I did the same tour last year. A couple of suggestions. If you have binoculars bring them. Due to the size of the boat you will not be getting overly close to the Whales. Also if you get the least bit sea sick go up to the second deck. which is open air. The fresh air will give you some relief. You are out on the bay for a good 2-2.5 hours before you stop at Cayo Levantado so bring sun screen and perhaps a hat. If you decide to rent a car it is an easy drive to Samana and most of the road there has been repaved. You can go online and google Kim Beddall to get more info on her tour.

LTSteve