COMPUTER GURU QUESTION.

E

ECH, M.D.

Last night, my computer screen changed dramatically. After a while I was able to figure it out. There was no "red" color in the screen!
My question: Is the monitor going bad? or is it the video "card"?
How can I check it out? Very, Very reluctant to take it to a "Dominican Tech" because the last time....some of my original internal parts were "exchanged" with others.
I have checked the display settings on the control panel and all is OK there.
THANX

J

Jerry

Your best bet is to try another monitor. I know it sounds like a pain. I guess depending on your options, will it be easier to take your base unit to a monitor or a monitor to your base unit. Another options is to intstall a cheap video card that someone might having laying around just to test, however you need to make sure that the old driver are taken out and the new drivers installed or you might not see anything. Also if your video card is part of your motherboard then you might have to worry about jumpers before installing a card in an open slot.

There might be another way, but I don't know about it.

Jerry

C

Carole

Not so bad as you might think. If you're running win 98 or 2000 or NT etc. just remove your videocard driver (control panel..system..videocard..update driver..if that doesn't work I would think it's probably your monitor but if you'd like to try changing you videocard first...
If you do have a card on the motherboard (only know of Compac that has that) Windows will automatically switch to the new one you install.

I'd try re-installing my drivers first.

Carole

J

Jim Hinsch

It is probably the monitor but verify this by plugging in a borrowed monitor. If th new monitor has the same problem, try swapping cables (if not permanenty connected to the monitor). If the problem still exists with a different monitor and cable, reseat your video card by pulling it out and putting it back in. If there is still a problem, replace the video card.

If the borrowed monitor doesn't have this problem, your monitor is either going bad or has gone bad. It is rarely economical to repair a low-cost monitor. Try just leaving it on for several hours. Sometimes the heat generated can help with bad internal connections. As a last resort, smack the monitor a few times on the sides and top. I got an extra annoying year out of a monitor exhibiting similar characteristics in this way.

R

RayJ

Of course if you have a seperate card for you monitor, then make sure that all power is off bfore doing the swap. And even to be safer touch any bare case/chasis inside the computer at every chance you get.

P

Pablo

It could very well be that your display monitor driver has become corrupted. Try to go to load a fresh version of the driver. If you do not have one available, go to the manufacturers web site and download it and then add it to your computer via the display monitor applet in control panel.