Pulpo Cojo on fire?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm hearing reports that the Pulpo Cojo restaurant is on fire. I hope no one was hurt.

Captn Stu

Jul 1, 2012
Huge fire down there. Flames coming off the roof. Fire Department arrived about 15 minutes ago. No other news yet.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Pretty much gone!

536942_10151337141408621_1050162536_n.jpg

Mamajava

Oct 19, 2012
We live just down the beach and the whole building is gone. Military are keeping people a long ways from the fire at our side, which is good. We heard a big boom earlier, but didn't think much of it. Apparently a propane tank blew up in the kitchen. They have been clearing people out of the apartments next door as a precaution. We do truly hope that no one was hurt.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sh?t, that sounds terrible, if it was a gas tank and there were people in the kitchen and in the dining areas they wouldn't have had time to get out.

El Pulpo Cojo is past Los Corales, near the Carabela hotel

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Wow, that's terrible news. We just returned from a three week stay and we went to El Pulpo Cojo everyday. I hope none of the employees or patrons were injured.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated. I have a few emails out to friends that are still in Punta Cana and frequent that area to see if perhaps they have additional input.

Sad news for sure!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Damn... bad time of the year for that to happen. Really hope no one got injured. Hopefully they had insurance and will be able to rebuild.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I was hearing lot of police and fireman alarms from home and was wondering what was happening, thinking something big as lot of noise and long time. I entered dr1.com expecting some news, and got them.
Really sad news, and if not very lucky day, I assume there should be injured people if it is true that a gas tank exploded ...
Lets hope Im wrong ...

Mamajava

Oct 19, 2012
The condos next door (part if the Carabella resort) are on fire now as well. A fellow I know on the beach just told me the owner of the Pulpo is absolutely devastated and wanted to die in the fire. I can only imagine how he must be feeling. I was also told that they don't believe anyone was hurt seriously, so let's just pray it is true.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I read on FB that the fire trucks turned up 2hrs late and without water, no surprise.

Last edited:

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I was able to see all the trucks heading to the fire this afternoon, sirens blaring. I did see what looked like a water truck head that way well after the first few fire trucks went by. Maybe 1/2 an hour later?

The even pulled fire trucks from the airport! I was able to read the sides of them as they went by. They were about the 4th and/or 5th trucks I saw. Fire trucks continued to head that way even as late as 6 pm. I was wondering just how far away they were coming from. As I type I can hear another siren approaching... missed it, so don't know if it was coming or going.

Edited to add: I also saw ambulances heading that way off and on and now the sirens are heading the other way and they sound like ambulances and not the fire trucks.

Mamajava

Oct 19, 2012
We walked down that way on the beach just now and watched the firefighters fumbling with a pump and hose down at the edge of the ocean. Other people were using buckets to throw water at the fire on the condos. It was a exercise in futility. Now it's getting dark it's going to become even harder. I do hope that the firetrucks you heard, agw, were heading TO the fire. We are still hearing sirens ourselves and are hoping those trucks contain water. This is going to be a long night for some of them I'm sure.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's crap that the firetrucks showed up over 2hrs late and without water.
they've been there when we saw the smoke from the beach, so they've been quick, but when Cana constructions start to burn it runs too quick to do anything else than to run anyways.
no news about injured or dead people, that's good news.
part of the Carabela is also effected.

Mike

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Another fire truck is on it's way there now. Would be passing Plaza Palma Real as I type

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I first heard and saw the fire trucks at the IFA Villas Bavaro and Residential Costa Bavaro intersection at about 4 pm. If they had come on the other road and then down from Frusia before that I wouldn't have heard or seen them. I can just see that road from my house through the abandoned building and trees.

Mamajava

Oct 19, 2012
I agree Mike...the firetrucks were actually there quite fast considering. The fire was so big and intense they probably ran out of water quickly, and were trying so hard to set up a pump station at the ocean edge to fight the fire at the condos on Carabela property ? The people down there were working so hard to try to contain this fire. Most important is that no one is injured or has died. Keep praying that's true.