Is there an alternative to CableVision???

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
After nearly 20 years of being their client & receiving good (& fairly constant) reception, I have just spent three months with limited service & POOR after sales service to boot. I am now looking around for a company that supplies a far better service & one that includes 'The Golf Channel' & FSC (which shows a decent sport called Rugby Union!!)

I am prepared to consider the Up Front cost of installing a satellite dish/system if there is such a company in the Puerto Plata region. If I can "share" that service with some of my neighbours ......... so much the better.

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions for a legit & effective satellite installation & coverage of multi international channels?? ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Bushbaby. Please investigate Tricom Cable service. I am fairly sure that they will provide service to your "barrio"

Cordially,

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have just 'phoned them & regret to advise they do NOT have TV service in the Puerto Plata area. I have spoken to several people this morning & ALL want to change from MusaVision/CableVision. The WHOLE of Puerto Plata service is presently down as we all need new (or recalibrated) 'boxes' ........ Their offices were inundated with about 200 very unhappy clients when I called at 10.00 this morning. ~ Grahame

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Tried SKY and was the most difficult contract to get out of, ever. Minimum contract was 18 months.
They kept trying to knick me with additional charges when I did cancel, just awful.
It's based in Mexico, and they were really difficult, was my experience anyway.
I see Claro dishes all over the campo BB, maybe their service is worth a look.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Tried SKY and was the most difficult contract to get out of, ever. Minimum contract was 18 months.
They kept trying to knick me with additional charges when I did cancel, just awful.
It's based in Mexico, and they were really difficult, was my experience anyway.
I see Claro dishes all over the campo BB, maybe their service is worth a look.

I had a contract with Sky once. I quit after one month, as the service was horrendous. They got the middle of a Bagel from me towards the contract.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have Sky too and the "Fun" package is adequate for my viewing needs.... only time the signal is affected is in torrential rain but experienced that too when had original satellite TV via Dish network.

I still have a couple of 6ft satellite dishes on my roof which are now redundant if anyone is interested in them.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes the Sky contract is 18 months and I have had them for around 6 years with no issues, including a few moves. All programmes are in English or Spanish - well most anyway. Claro is mostly Spanish and nothing like the range of Channels.

Matilda

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Grahame my friend. Let's talk about American Direct TV. We installed it at Mary Rose in November and it is just fantastic. We get most of the American channels and we even installed a second dish to get 50+ Spanish channels. My friend Jesse is a dealer in the US and can install the service for you very quickly. He is here in the DR often and if you want to give it a try, I will let him know so he can get the boxes here. He does a very professional installation. All I need to know is how many TV's you want to hook up. We have 17 hooked up at Mary Rose on the two dishes. And the best part, the picture is CRISTAL CLEAR all the time, (except when we are getting pouring rain) but that is a problem with all satellite services

You will need at least one satellite dish but if you want the Spanish channels as well, you better get two. Talk to Whirley and make a deal for her dishes. The reason we don't get all the channels is because of our location here in the DR. We get about 70% of the transponders on the satelitte. The others are too far away or pointed to a specific area of the US for us to tune them in.

Anyway, after 3 months with DTV, we are more than satisfied with the service and would do it again if we had another location that would warrent it.

Let me know if you have any futher questions sir and I would be pleased to answer them for you.

Take care,

Rick

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have SKY Satellite. I have had very good results. There are many sports and English channels. The most expensive package runs around $50usd a month. I am in LT so I would think it would be available any where on the north coast. Check it out.

LTSTeve

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Grahame,
What kind of Internet speed do you have? People all over the USA are "cutting the [cable] cord" and loving it. We did it here too. Cable del Norte comes free to our condo, but we haven't turned it on in months.

BUT, you have to have decent Internet speed......after that it's nearly free and a la carte. Roku is a great way to make it easy and amazing number of channels.