US and Canadian Visa renewals

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A friend has multiple entry visas to both US and Canada. As they will expire in 2015, I was wondering if they could be renewed while in Canada. Anyone done this in the past? Also can the renewal be done before expiry.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
A multiple-entry visa lets you enter and leave Canada repeatedly while it is valid. It can be valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your passport expires, whichever is earlier. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa.

Extend your stay – Visit Canada

I might be wrong but no such thing as re-newing a visa, they need to do a new application each time for Canada.If the visa expires while in Canada they can extend it.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A multiple-entry visa lets you enter and leave Canada repeatedly while it is valid. It can be valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your passport expires, whichever is earlier. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa.

Extend your stay – Visit Canada

I might be wrong but no such thing as re-newing a visa, they need to do a new application each time for Canada.If the visa expires while in Canada they can extend it.
Thanks Anna but can a person "apply" from Canada. The purpose is to not have to stand in line at the Canadian Embassy or even worse the US one in Santo Domingo. If it can be done in Canada (both) it would be a lot simpler.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Good question Eddy I'll search it out
Thanks. I tried but couldn't find anything. Hopefully you will have more success. I could try calling the respective Embassies but you know what that's like :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes that is what I planned on doing this morning Eddy. I called 1-888-242-2100 and here is what they said

You can re apply while in Canada but the application will be sent to the Embassy of Canada in the applicants country, so no further ahead there.

I see by you post the thing is to avoid standing in line in SD? If that's what this is all about there is an easier way.

The man on the phone said they can fill out the application, pay the fee with a credit card all on online and when SD is ready they will call to bring in the passport.

So here it is Application For Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

The US might be a little different. I'll let you do the search :)

Visitor Visas - Business and Pleasure

BTW this is strictly me talking but I wouldn't take a chance on re applying too early there is always a chance of being denied. Never know with CIC. :)

Last edited: