Sosua vs Cabarete

Marcela

Mar 3, 2013
Hi,
I'm new here,and just came back home,in Canada from DR.
I want to buy a house in DR,on the north coast,and I can't make a difference between Sosua and Cabarete.
Anyone who can help me?
Where is the best place to buy a house?Me and my husband,we are not surfers ,we don't spend our nights in clubs.
We are looking for a nice place,close to the beach,or close enough for the money we can pay,around 200k.
Thank you,
Marcela

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
Hi,
I'm new here,and just came back home,in Canada from DR.
I want to buy a house in DR,on the north coast,and I can't make a difference between Sosua and Cabarete.
Anyone who can help me?
Where is the best place to buy a house?Me and my husband,we are not surfers ,we don't spend our nights in clubs.
We are looking for a nice place,close to the beach,or close enough for the money we can pay,around 200k.
Thank you,
Marcela

Hi,

I'm Canadian also and spend winters in Cabarete. I rent a condo because it is much cheaper than
buying a house and is more secure. The number one problem with home ownership here is
security. Here home owners have bars on windows, dogs, and guns for protection from bandits.

Cabarete I find is more expensive than Sosua but really it's a matter of taste, try renting in each
area.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
First and most importantly decide if you want a house or a condo. It appears that you want a house, so you need to decide if you want to be in a secure gated community. If its a gated community, there are several - Residencia Hispanola, Casa Linda, Perla Marina, Sea Horse Ranch, etc..and these are located outside between town and some are more secure than others. Other than Hispanola, buying in any of these you don't really commit to either Sosua or Cab. I know there are several Canadians living at Casa Linda and Perla Marina.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
DO YOUR OWN INVESTIGATION. CABARETE IS MUCH SMALLER ,.....buying a house in either Sosua or cabarete , you had better Be sure you have researched the area as many poor,projects and security issues .Do not make a decision based on a realtor!!! i dislike condos ,however they do provide much better safety generally ..... You have been advised to rent first in an area you like to see ...and this is a wise persons choice . not heeding this advice ,and buying without testing the waters will leave you with a house that could take years to resell and that means you will have to secure it 24 seven or have it completely gutted except in the most highly secured ,price communities,And then? ..please learn by others failures ,and successes !

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Cabarete and Sosua are different and you could get the feel by renting a short time in each. Sosua is a larger town with several neighbourhoods off the main highway. Cabarete has one street - the main highway - that goes right through town. The beaches are also quite different. Cabarete is a kite and surf town and has young people there from many countries.

There is a very good reason for every "living/moving related" thread on this forum says the same thing: Rent for 6months.

And there is a also a good reason for more or less the same houses stays unsold for year after year- You see the picture?!

Good luck with your plans, i hope you can get a good bargain. ;)

I didn't listen to these smart people on Dr1 and bought without renting! I do not suggest doing this!

I think we lucked out but it's not something you want to hope for the best with! It takes a while to resell if you don't like the area.
Beachfront is obviously easier to sell down the road but comes with a cost of a lot of maintenance b.c the sea water really erodes stuff!
Safety is key! Many break ins occur, so make sure you do a lot of research and read Dr1 non stop and really listen to what is said before you decide if this Country is for you.
Paradise is not always what it seems...

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Harley (Hog?)

Many people wont discuss the issue of security on DR1 because they are afraid it will stick to thier locality and they wont be able to sell thier property.

There are issues here in many areas but calling 911 or is it 211 here wont help. You wont get at patrol car turning up to sort things out. They dont have petrol!!!

If you dont see something about an area it does not mean it is secure- it may mean everybody has clamed up!

We on the team wish you luck

Olly and the Team (Sosua division)