First trip to DR next week, first stop Santiago

Ron Maurice

Mar 4, 2013
What are some good places to stop by and have a good time. I get in around 2pm and will be headed to the hotel, then I'm out and about for the rest of the day. Want to have a good time that night as I will be headed to Las Terrenas the next morning. Will I be good to just walk around and taxi from place to place? Looking to make DR a regular stopping point a few times a year so want to make my first trip a good one.

Input

Ron Maurice

Mar 4, 2013
isn't passions a hooker spot...lol i'm gonna have my girl with me and she's not that open if so

Ron Maurice

Mar 4, 2013
Ha...so I've heard.
Last thing i need to do is set myself up by going somewhere where thats the sole purpose of going though...hence why I strayed away from taking her to Sosua, but from what I hear Las Terrenas is just as bad as far as cooter for sale goes

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
The whole country is a hooker spot!

"R"

That is not true. The Sosua, Boca Chica and parts of puerto plata are hooker spots. It is a big country and most of it is a beautiful latino tropical island with Dominicans everywhere. The island is a Dominican spot and less of a hooker spot. Just each place you go on the island is different. Certain places are hooker spots and some are not. Certain places are big cities and some are not, some are coutnrysides and some are not. Some are drug infested and full of crime and some are not. It is a big island and each place and type of people varies depending on where you go.

May 12, 2005
What are some good places to stop by and have a good time. I get in around 2pm and will be headed to the hotel, then I'm out and about for the rest of the day. Want to have a good time that night as I will be headed to Las Terrenas the next morning. Will I be good to just walk around and taxi from place to place? Looking to make DR a regular stopping point a few times a year so want to make my first trip a good one.

Input

Try going to Centro Leon during the day for some history and culture. Then at night anywhere around the Monumento. Ahi-Bar, Puerto Del sol, etc.

Ron Maurice

Mar 4, 2013
Is it going to be extremely hindered and outcasted because I don't speak Spanish or should it be good as long as I at least try to remember so and come off as the goofy American who's at least trying to communicate? I ask because I don't want to go to a bar/restaurant and not be able to get across what I want

May 12, 2005
Is it going to be extremely hindered and outcasted because I don't speak Spanish or should it be good as long as I at least try to remember so and come off as the goofy American who's at least trying to communicate? I ask because I don't want to go to a bar/restaurant and not be able to get across what I want

Do you speak any Spanish at all? Get yourself a Spanish dictionary and read it before you go and on the plane.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I spoke no Spanish when I did the move last year and I still have LONG way to go. But with in weeks I ordered beers and cigarettes from Colmador and large super supreme from Pizza Hut through phone. You'd be fine as long as you stay alert and willing to communicate. Plus the place that were mentioned are touristy area and some have English menus and some has staff that understand English. Just like in all foreign countries, double check your order. Especially, if your waiter seems to have no clue, "Yes, yes, I understand." could turns out to be "Ok, ok, I'll choose."