Traveling the Island on a Scooter

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This is a trip of the North Coast we did this past weekend on a Yamaha Zuma 125 that we bought new 22 months ago. We've put 19,000km on it traveling around the Dominican Republic.

[video=youtube_share;lJZq4D38Dus]http://youtu.be/lJZq4D38Dus[/video]

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
one of best things in life, man ;-) watch out for potholes though...sometimes they are so big that you can entirely fall in it...vide: first 30 km of road from Puerto Plata to Santiago and many more ;-))

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank, what were the routes you took?

We took highway 5 to the new "Atlantic Coastal toll road"--which starts next to samana airport--and goes through the outskirts of Las Terrenas. From there, the next day we took the same highway--which we picked up at the Esso gas station at the edge of town, and headed south-east to Samana. It's a brand new highway with fantastic, smooth, new asphalt.

Also in this video, is a trip we did the day before--which was from Sabaneta to Moca. So, you got highway 5, the new Atlantic Coastal toll road, and also the road from Sabaneta to Moca--all of the wonderfully scenic, visually stimulating--North Coast. However, there is lots more to see...we could have continued on to Las Galeras from Samana--in essence--heading down the Samana peninsula--which has some incredibly beautiful ocean views with amazing winding curves.

Frank

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
I have done sosua to mocca through the mountains on a scooter...pretty cool.........gotta do that samana route......looks fantastic !! Thanks !

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Hey Frank, how are you? a quick question, In your opinion what would be the most suitable motorcycle all around for the island?... I used to own a Yamaha DT125 back in the days, and I just got a house in the cabrera area, I'm gonna be doing plenty of motorcycle road trips around the Island... most of my family are in La Capital.... do you think a trail bike is suitable as an all arounder?... what would you recommend a 250cc 4 stroke?.... I know for a fact that a cruiser would be out of the question... I want to get something used, dependable and affordable.... what do you think?