Temporal Residence

Nicolas de Leon

Mar 9, 2013
Ok, this is my case
I want to apply for a temporal residence, and I'm getting all the documents needed for it,
Now, would it be better to submit the process in the consulate at my country or directly at DR in their migration offices?
If its better to do it while I'm at DR, will they require me to return to my country after the 30 day period of the tourist card? or can I stay for the 4-6 months period waiting for the process without being deported and just paying the fee?

I can see you all guys have a lot of information in here, I've been looking for answers all over the web but everyone seems to be confused...

I would really appreciate your help!

The only way you can do the Temp Residency is by applying for it IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY AT A DR Consulate/Embassy!! They changed the law in the summer that you can no longer start the process from the DR.

Or you can just pay the overstay fee that they will charge you for when you leave the Country. I guess it depends if you want to be legal or not.

Last edited:

Nicolas de Leon

Mar 9, 2013
Oh... I never noticed any changes, that's why I wanted to ask before I throw myself doing it mmmmm any recommendations?

How long do you plan on staying in the DR? I know many people just pay the over stay fee when they leave since the fee isn't much.
We are doing it legal for the first year anyways b/c I plan on going back home a few times to visit family and own a place here and don't want any trouble. I'm probably wasting money but i want a Cedula and don't want to be stressed about being an illegal alien!!

Nicolas de Leon

Mar 9, 2013
well, I plan to be there at least 1 or 2 years... thats why I was planning to be and have all legal, in case I need a job

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
You must begin the process in your own country, pretty simple process so long as you follow the requirements. Your own country's consulate scans the documents to Santo Domingo and within a week or so you get a temporary visa in your passport. You have 60 days to complete the process in SD. So don't get it way before you plan on arriving. I got mine in October, returned to the DR end of October and mid November began the process in SD. I expect one month and I'll have my (first) temporary and cedula. I'm doing it this one time to see whether I will continue. It is cheaper to pay the overstay fee, but at the time there were rumors rampant about how long you could stay on a tourist card and only one time renewal. I live here 8 months a year and don't want to be looking over my shoulder. I do live herre so I want to be a resident.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your process.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I think it will take longer than 4-6 months to complete the temporary residency process. The clock starts ticking once you have had your medical tests and your attorney has filed all of your documents with the DR gov and they have told him that these were all accepted. You are probably looking at at least 8-12 months. I believe you will need an attorney involved in the process in order for things to be done in a timely manner.

LTSTeve

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are only going to be here between one and two years and residency can take up to a year and you need to work legally, you don't really have good options for that plan.