I am now officially Dominican

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
This post is meant to be informative and in no way represents legal advice.
I hope to provide information for those trying to obtain their Dominican citizenship by way of a Dominican parent.
This process was for me and my children. All of us US born.

You must choose in which city to have your birth certificate registered.
Once approved, you will also need someone to appear in person to declare your birth.
I sent all the documents via FedEx and a friend delivered them to a supervisor at the Junta Electoral in my late mother?s birth town. They (Junta) recommended a judicial translator and their courier took care of the rest.

The following documents were submitted early November and my birth certificate was issued on Dec 19th.
My children's application was approved separately after the Christmas holiday.
1. Obtained my mother?s Dominican birth certificate.*
2. Obtained US birth certificates and Apostille.*
3. Made two copies of each passport. I was never asked for the two 2X2 pictures.
4. Had the certificates translated by a certified judicial interpreter.* You do not need to translate the Apostille.
5. Fill out this form.* Formulario Nacionalidad de Hijos de Dominicanos
*Originals plus two copies.

Estimated Summary of fees in pesos:
$200 approx for my mother?s birth certificate.
$1000 translation
$1000 for Procuraduria
$400 to file record of birth (asentar)
$200 to deposit application
$500 for courier. He also hand delivered to Junta Electoral in Santo Domingo

After about a month-? my birth certificate was issued.
I made a trip to the DR, shortly after, and picked up a copy of my birth Certificate ?Acta Inextensa de Nacimiento para fines de consulta" and applied for my cedula. They asked me for proof of arrival into the country. My passport sufficed.
I was then given a copy of my cedula with instructions to pick up the actual card a month later.
The document says it is valid for 12 months.
On this day I deposited the paperwork for my husband to become a Dominican resident by way of our marriage.

Hope this helps and perhaps avoid a few steps, headaches or mistakes.

Ccarabella ? Officially Dominicana (Cibae?a) as of Dec 2012.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
@JDJones - No. This was to become a -citizen- by having a Dominican parent as per the Dominican constitution.
I am officially Dominican as I now have a newly issued -Dominican- birth certificate. A certificate of birth abroad to a Dominican parent. I can vote and run for public office.

:) :)