Car Rental Sosua

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
"OK Motors", next to Coastal gas station right outside (1KM) of Sosua (across from Ocean Village) is a good place. I've only had good experiences from them.

Frank

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Freddy's across from the Claro tower in El Batey. Nice guy, honest, speaks English.

Dec 21, 2008
We used to use: Cars Rent Dominican Republic. Always outstanding service and very reasonable prices...in low season you can negotiate a rate as well. Speak with David or his sister Dario. They will meet you at the airport to deliver the car to you as well as make arrangements at the end of your stay for returning the vehicle wherever you want. Our friends come down twice a year and always rent from them.

RR007

Mar 11, 2013
Ok-motors.com is good, they will meet you at the airport and return you back.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Depends where you rent it from really.

A local taxista will rent an older small suv for about 1,000/day. An actual car rental location can be 1,300-1,500 for a smallish suv. Shop around, there can be some big fluctuations.

If eco is your thing, avoid the "caragato" (Mitsu Montero) at all costs, that thing sucks down gas like an Arab warlord

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Depends where you rent it from really.

A local taxista will rent an older small suv for about 1,000/day. An actual car rental location can be 1,300-1,500 for a smallish suv. Shop around, there can be some big fluctuations.

If eco is your thing, avoid the "caragato" (Mitsu Montero) at all costs, that thing sucks down gas like an Arab warlord

It does, but it drives like an Arab warlord too :)

And you get right of way like nobody's business :)

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Do folks usually get the provided insurance when renting or do you just waive it and use your credit card's protection? Do you usually have a choice? I would think you could drive without liability coverage, since I see cars on the road that don't look like they should even be on the road. But, the rules might be different for gringos.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Be careful! In my investigation, I found that if you read the fine print, most credit card car insurance is NOT valid in the DR.
My CC supplemental car insurance is not valid in the DR, Ireland, and Isreal.

Ireland and Isreal are most likely on the list due to increased probability of damage from terrorist bombing.
DR is probably on the list because of driving conditions like this: (from DR1 news summary yesterday)

Dominican Republic has the most traffic fatalities in the world
A report by the World Health Organization (WHO) has said that dicey roads, wild drivers and a car culture where traffic rules are seldom obeyed all led to the Dominican Republic to earn the title as the most deadly country in the world to get behind the wheel of a vehicle.

The Dominican Republic has a fatality rate for drivers at 41.7 per hundred thousand people. Doing the math, this means that one in every 2,398 Dominicans will die every year in an automotive accident, or over an entire life span, Dominicans have a one in 480 chance of having their lives taken by a vehicle accident.

Dominican Republic Tops List Of World's Deadliest Countries For Drivers | Fox News Latino.

May 29, 2006
For not much more you can hire a driver with his own car. A gringo driving a rental is recipe for all kinds of trouble. And a good driver can also act as a concierge.