Samana/Interesting Write Up in NY Post Today

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I saw this short review in the home section of the NY Post and figured I would share it:

Dominican Republic’s Samana heats up with new condos and new flights - NYPOST.com

The DR is in
The Dominican Republic?s Samana is dipping into real estate

By MAX GROSS
Last Updated: 12:41 AM, April 4, 2013
Posted: 10:26 PM, April 3, 2013
Certain regions of the world call attention to themselves just by the way they?re shaped. If Italy gets noticed by flashing a little leg, then you could say Samana is a thumb of beach, mountains and forest sticking out of the northern part of the Dominican Republic, urging you to stop and take it for a ride.

And there are good new reasons to head down and check out Samana?s resorts, which, at least in one case, doubles as real estate.

Balcones del Atlantico has been in the works since 2008, an 80-acre project consisting of 174 villa-like condos (35 of which are part of the hotel pool) set along a half-mile of beachfront. It had its first move-ins in the summer of 2009 for vacationers wary of the more well-trod spots in the DR.

WHAT MAKES SAMANA RUN? Balcones del Atlantico is a 174- unit condo/hotel that?s got plans underway for another 160 units.

?Out of 174 units, we?ve sold 159,? says Maximo Bisono of the Bisono Group, which developed the project.

They range from $245,000 for a one-bedroom up to $1.8 million for a five-bedroom villa. (The units in the hotel pool go anywhere from $500 to $2,000 a night in high season, down to $300 to $800 per night in the off season.)

And these units are roomy inside and out ? a three-bedroom penthouse suite also includes a good 500 square feet or so of terrace, overlooking Balcones? manicured hedges and swimming pools (some with wooden footpaths constructed over them, evoking a Japanese garden). Inside, owners get a Viking kitchen, en-suite stone bathrooms and open living rooms.

And the region got more tempting for New Yorkers when JetBlue started Wednesday and Saturday flights to Samana late last year. (One-way flights start at $175 including tax, if purchased before April 24.) JetBlue also has plans to add more flights as demand increases.

?It?s been great for us,? says Bisono. ?Guys from the Northeast part of the States ? New York, Boston, Connecticut ? have been flying in from New York. It used to be, you had to go to [Santo Domingo] and take a two-hour ride to come. Now it?s incredible ? it?s a 20-minute drive coming in? from the airport.

This should make Bisono and others even more confident about expanding Balcones ? which is exactly what he?s doing.

?We have 160 more units to come,? says Bisono. ?The first phase [of 80 units] will be in the next eight to 10 months.?

Of course, at less than 4 years old, Balcones is a lot newer, and a lot more under-the-radar than the Dominican Republic?s other resorts like, say, the 7,000-acre Casa de Campo destination ? in La Romana on the DR?s southeast coast ? that underwent a $42 million renovation a few years back. But it has the hallmarks of a luxury resort: a restaurant on the beach called Porto serves up grilled steaks and fish; a small spa, also on the beach, offers massages; frozen drinks are served to sun bathers; hot tubs bubble away in select rooms; hotel staff travel around the resort via golf cart.

And while Las Terrenas, the coastal town nearby Balcones (about a $10 to $15 cab ride, depending on how good your negotiating skills are), is a crowded tourist town that skews more European than American and boasts several dozen restaurants, including fairly decent Italian on the beach (Le Tre Caravelle), fancier places with tasting menus (Mi Corazon) and so on, one gets the feeling that you don?t visit Samana because of the food scene.

Rather, one goes for the liberating/worrying feeling of being in a place where you hear little English being spoken; where one can relax without the frenetic activity many people come to expect on vacation. (Although there?s plenty of eco-tourism options nearby, if that?s your bag.) And for the solitude of sitting on a beach that isn?t crammed with umbrellas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He first dipped his toe in the water along the little beach... don't know the name....past Fisherman's village... in 2007/8.

Remember the project that was fenced/shielded from view?
That was him....

Totally presold to SD'ers..... before the toll road went in.

Not a dime real estate commission

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Very nice NY Post article. Sound like the writer must have stayed at Balcones del Atlantico. Balcones is the top of the line accomodations but it also comes with top of the line prices. All in all when an article appears in a NYC based newspaper or mag. you are going to get wide readership and that's a good thing for Las Terrenas, the Samana Peninsula and the DR.

LTSteve

Dec 26, 2011
Very nice NY Post article. Sound like the writer must have stayed at Balcones del Atlantico. Balcones is the top of the line accomodations but it also comes with top of the line prices. All in all when an article appears in a NYC based newspaper or mag. you are going to get wide readership and that's a good thing for Las Terrenas, the Samana Peninsula and the DR.

LTSteve

Get ready for the onslaught.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Get ready for the onslaught.

Too late Pollo. I'm not so sure about whether it's such a good thing Steve. How long can the beautiful beach remain beautiful after the hordes of tourists arrive? How many more condos and how many golf courses can LT environmentally sustain? It was obvious to me 10 years ago when I first visited LT that once the NYC based media types exploited that once small, quaint, fishing village, it would be forever changed. I was not wrong. I am just grateful that I had the experience of what it was before it transitioned to what it has, and will inevitably, become. And I'm not so sure that the Dominican population will benefit. I really don't mean to throw cold water on progress. But ...

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Too late Pollo. I'm not so sure about whether it's such a good thing Steve. How long can the beautiful beach remain beautiful after the hordes of tourists arrive? How many more condos and how many golf courses can LT environmentally sustain? It was obvious to me 10 years ago when I first visited LT that once the NYC based media types exploited that once small, quaint, fishing village, it would be forever changed. I was not wrong. I am just grateful that I had the experience of what it was before it transitioned to what it has, and will inevitably, become. And I'm not so sure that the Dominican population will benefit. I really don't mean to throw cold water on progress. But ...

I have an answer for that! Look at Cabarete, the "Wind Surfing Capital of the World". Of course, nowadays the beach has mostly kite boarders because the wind has been killed off with the soaring condos popping up and down the beach.

Watch Playa Grande...it may (hopefully not) go the same direction.

Las Terrenas will go the same way. It's called "progress" and what it does is take the beaches from the Dominicans, turn them over to the tourists/investors, mine money from both of them and ensure the money lands off shore from this country so those same Dominicans, who can no longer enjoy the beach their grandparents took them to, never benefit from the investment in their own country.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
From the street, Balcones del Atlantico looks to be one of the top developments I've seen on the island.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
From the street, Balcones del Atlantico looks to be one of the top developments I've seen on the island.

I can't figure out where this development--Balcones del Atlantico--exactly is located? I must have driven past it many, many times?

Frank

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bisono? You don't know the name Bisono? Yikes! Just think "one of the top 10 in the country" and you'll be there. Extremely powerful family up there with Corripio, Leon and a few others.

beach name I didn't know....

him? He toured me around, Maximo... has the same Jeep as I do.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I can't figure out where this development--Balcones del Atlantico--exactly is located? I must have driven past it many, many times?

Frank
It's on the outskirts of town toward the old LT airport, across the street from the beach...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I don't think you will see an immediate onslaught of US citizens from NYC coming to LT. This may happen over time. Yes there have been many condo projects built. There are also many condo projects that have not sold many apartments. The golf course project is dead in the water. There is no golf course in LT and the area does need one. During an average week on LT beaches it is very quiet and some additional tourists would certainly help the local economy. In LT the high season only lasts from Christmas to Easter and then tourists numbers drop off considerably. If more Americans come to the Samana Peninsula to check it out that would be ok with me. I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

LTSteve

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
It's on the outskirts of town toward the old LT airport, across the street from the beach...

Ok, is this where they've put in a bunch of small speed bumps...the really small ones steel ones? If so, how and the hell does this get defined as Samana? It's right outside of Las Terrenas---not more then 10 minutes.

Frank

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Ok, is this where they've put in a bunch of small speed bumps...the really small ones steel ones? If so, how and the hell does this get defined as Samana? It's right outside of Las Terrenas---not more then 10 minutes.

Frank
That's it, the speed bump area.

I guess all of Samana is considered Samana to outsiders. On a big map the peninsula looks small, but it's not.

I love Samana. One of my favorite places on the island.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Frankie G.... they have a 'beach club' type of place across the street.... the one that burned down.... thats the place.
Lots of stacked stone, etc

Bisono lives back in town... at the original development.... just 15 or so units.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Las Terrenas will go the same way. It's called "progress" and what it does is take the beaches from the Dominicans, turn them over to the tourists/investors, mine money from both of them and ensure the money lands off shore from this country so those same Dominicans, who can no longer enjoy the beach their grandparents took them to, never benefit from the investment in their own country.
its not Punta Cana...care to explain where exactly beach were taken from Dominicans in Cabarete or Las Terrenas ? In Cabarete i got bugged by dozens of dominican sellers on the beach, in Las Terrenas no one bugs me....and beaches are open for everyone

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Boy, William, you are really behind on your knowledge of Balcones del Atlantico and Maximo Bisono, which leads me to believe that most of your other knowledge about Las Terrenas is really outdated.

And I am with SteveLT. I would much rather see American families travel to Las Terrenas, (which is mostly what comes to stay at Balcones) than those smelly old gizzards that come looking for underage girls.