FYI, "extended tourist VISA" does not exist anymore

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
As I said in the title, that does not exist anymore.
I was at Inmigration office in SD yesterday.
Anyone overstaying, no need to ask for an extended visa in case you think of it or want to have that way.
You just will have to pay the "penalty" when leaving the country at the airport, nothing else.

In fact, I paid it at Immigration desk, and the paper they gave me, does not even say "penalty" or "overstay", or "ilegal" or anything like that. It just say "pay for stay".

Really light easygoing immigration policy!! After all of that, I really think that doing an overstay in this country you cannot even consider yourself to be called "ilegal" ... dont you think so?

Cheers.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
With strong self pride with Dominicans, calling someone illegal would cause big problem for DR. I was advised not to call someone thief or tell someone has stolen goods because that would cause big problem in the court, we had very clear video of him putting away the invorsor and went back later to throw that over the fence and a guy on motorcycle coming to picking it up. Imagine government calling people illegal, that would cause chain reaction of suing everybody.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
it is another of the curiosities of this country ...
in any country that would mean being ilegal without no doubt and no other word could be used
but in this one, having so cheap "penalties" and they even not using that word, I really dont consider anyone being overstayed to be ilegal in this country at all.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At least they are using the KISS principle for once (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Good to know and thanks for posting that information since this is one of those frequent topics on DR1.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But can they deny entry to those who chronically overstay their tourist card?

To me, that's the real question...(but I have a residence visa, waiting for the cedula...)

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
But can they deny entry to those who chronically overstay their tourist card?

To me, that's the real question...(but I have a residence visa, waiting for the cedula...)

I dont think they should deny it. Take into account that in "overstay fees" table, they give you the figures for even overstaying 7 years and more!!! then why they should deny anything ... more taken into account this is more money for them ....

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
As I said in the title, that does not exist anymore.
I was at Inmigration office in SD yesterday.
Anyone overstaying, no need to ask for an extended visa in case you think of it or want to have that way.
You just will have to pay the "penalty" when leaving the country at the airport, nothing else.

In fact, I paid it at Immigration desk, and the paper they gave me, does not even say "penalty" or "overstay", or "ilegal" or anything like that. It just say "pay for stay".

Really light easygoing immigration policy!! After all of that, I really think that doing an overstay in this country you cannot even consider yourself to be called "ilegal" ... dont you think so?

Cheers.

So I guess the score is zero reports of any real world change to the classic tourist card overstay rules, and one more "change? What change?" comment from immigration.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
I overstayed 2 months and paid 800 pesos to a very nice and polite customs lady.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
I overstayed 2 months and paid 800 pesos to a very nice and polite customs lady. that was 2 weeks ago.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
At least they are using the KISS principle for once (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Good to know and thanks for posting that information since this is one of those frequent topics on DR1.

It's not so easy or simple. Nothing in this country is simple.

True that you won't get into trouble with immigration if you stay past your visa.

But if you get into a car accident, if you accidentally run over someone, if you're robbed and have to interact with the legal system in some manner, it gets 'tricky' and not so 'simple'.

If you're in an accident, and the other side finds out that you've overstayed our visa, it doesn't matter that the accident wasn't your fault...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Friends asked me about this the other day and while it seems no one is having a big problem, just paying the fine...there is always that chance you will be that one person they want to make a example of. To me there is nothing worse then having to deal with bureaucratic bulls**t in a country that is not your own.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
I overstayed 87 days and very quickly and easily paid my 800 pesos to a pleasant lady. I got my receipt and proceeded. No harm. No foul.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ive overstayed 5 months, was at migration zona norte in santiago to ask questions. No problem for the overstay BUT u re only allowed to drive the first month, after officially u cant. The lady who was very helpful and nice told us that it was better if it was my swissdominican wife who drove.... even if she doesnt have a dr license, neither a swiss one by the way.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ive overstayed 5 months, was at migration zona norte in santiago to ask questions. No problem for the overstay BUT u re only allowed to drive the first month, after officially u cant. The lady who was very helpful and nice told us that it was better if it was my swissdominican wife who drove.... even if she doesnt have a dr license, neither a swiss one by the way.....

The advice for it is "better for a Dominican to drive with no license" than a visitor with one to drive after one month is priceless.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I thought it was always the gringo's fault, visa or not! :angry:

Here its very tribal, any expat in any trouble will be ganged up on, guilty or not.

It does help if your family is Dominican my wife has had my back more times than I like to admit, but its the smart way, all 5 feet and 100 lbs of her, let a Dominican look at me cross ways and the teeth come out, let a Dominica look any way at me and out come the claws too......

g'luck