Advice needed - stay in Riu Resort in July

Nightliner

Apr 25, 2011
Hi there,

I need a bit of advice for my upcoming stay in PC.

- Taxi vs. prearranged private transfer: Generally, prices for either option seem to be around 80 US$ roundtrip (PUJ-Riu-PUJ). Will I be better off taking a taxi at PUJ paying in Pesos (wont take any US currency with me)?
- Talking pesos: As I want to avoid taking dollar bills with me solely for tipping purposes (I am from Europe) - whats the best way to get a steady supply of small peso bills (20s/50s) for tipping purposes? As far as I know, theres no bank branch at or near the Riu resorts, and the only (?) ATM at "caribbean street" wont probably dispense small bills?
- Local shopping: Staying in one of the Riu Hotels, I wonder if on their premises (so-called "caribbean street") cigarettes are sold at a normal price (remember from my last stay in POP that the hotel shops there charged ~80 US$ per carton of Newports, while a local colmado would charge around 30-ish US$). If not: How far would the next colmado be? Any local advice will be helpful :)
- Local restaurants: As I might at some point get tired of the usual all-inclusive foodstuffs, are there any restaurants/food places nearby (walking distance ideally) that one of you could recommend?

Sorry for all those questions, many of which may sound rather stupid to the expat community here :)

Regards,

Nightliner

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
my first AI experience, and my first DR visit was to the RIU. But that was about 8 years ago, and I'm not sure if I'm going to have the info you need/want.

My stay that time was a package that included air/resort/and transfers. you can get a taxi... I forget the price to RIU, (it's pretty far north), but the rates are published somewhere on this site, (search function), and also at the airport. You can get a private transfer, (I've had good luck booking it through Cheap Caribbean .com)... but check them for price.

local cash ... the best way is always an ATM... and I'm pretty sure you can get change at the front desk of the hotel, (especially with a small tip to the desk clerk). I'm American, so hauling a pocketful of $1 US bills wasn't a problem for me, and worked well, but yours is a different case.

sorry, but I don't know the price of cigarettes, but you can count on a "tourist price". The caribbean street is just a row of shops / tourist souvenir joints. LOL AND... when they bring the local vendors in one or two nights a week, those are just like beach vendors, but with a little more polish... and the resort gets a cut of course, (the merchandise is not very high quality)

close by colmados etc. -- IIRC, I don't think there are any really close, as in walking close, (RIU is pretty far north and away from "town"), but definitely a cab or concho ride will get you to some local stores, plazas or restaurants.

Nightliner

Apr 25, 2011
sorry, but I don't know the price of cigarettes, but you can count on a "tourist price". The caribbean street is just a row of shops / tourist souvenir joints. LOL AND... when they bring the local vendors in one or two nights a week, those are just like beach vendors, but with a little more polish... and the resort gets a cut of course, (the merchandise is not very high quality)

close by colmados etc. -- IIRC, I don't think there are any really close, as in walking close, (RIU is pretty far north and away from "town"), but definitely a cab or concho ride will get you to some local stores, plazas or restaurants.

Thanks a lot Captn :) I think my best way is then to get a private pre-paid transfer and ask him to stop somewhere on the way (or get cigs by the carton right at PUJ). I remember the cig place in front of POP had "normal" prices, so I'm counting on that experience. Too scared for the conchos by the way - this will me my 3rd time to the DR, but I never felt like actually riding a motoconcho, a bit too adventourous for me.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Will do - however, a carton wont last for my entire vacation. Yes, I am a heavy smoker. :classic:

Just to let you know, I had brought many cigarettes through STI, they don't stop you even if you buy 5 cartons of cigarettes.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I had the chance to spend a day at the Riu a few months back. There are some colmado's between the Riu and El Corticeto. They are green and on the side of the road which eventually leads to the Cruce de Fruisa. You could always take a taxi to the colmados. But, to solve all your problems, I would just take a taxi into Fruisa. You can find cheap smokes there. After leaving RIu, the cab driver should head down a long road. You will start to see more stores. At the cruce de Fruisa there is a texaco on one side and the hill which leads into the barrio of fruisa on the other side of the road. From the road heading from RIU you should turn left at this T in the road (cruce) The texaco will then be on your left. If you follow that main road toward the ocean (north I believe) here are some little grocery stores ect. where you can get cheap smokes. There are also some banks. Coming from the Riu these stores will be on the left after you turn at the texaco.

If you are coming from the airport during the day, you should pass all of this going to the RIU. Only in reverse. Just ask the cab driver to stop at a grocery store (there are several that will be on the right coming from the airport) to get some cigarettes. There are also some banks on the right. Scotia Bank being one, there are a few others. You will know you are on the right road because you will see a car wash/car detailing business and pass big burger/ solo pollo ect.

I hope that helps!

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Also, being at the Riu. You are very close to Macao. If you did get bored, want some outside entertainment ect. You could always hire a taxi and head into Macao. I think such a taxi would cost about 35 dollars each way, maybe twenty if the guy is having a good day. Ask him for a price up front, and then just tell him when to come back for you. It would still be cheaper than taking a tour there, where they would tell you when to leave ect. The beach there is beautiful, and my personal favourite in all the DR. There are also some little restaurants on the beach where you can get fresh seafood and other fare. Also a boogy board school. There are tours of the area on buggys, but you end up with a lot of mud in your face and the beach is pretty doable on its own. Last time I was there, there was no chair rentals, so bring a blanket with you. The first time we went we just brought the blanket from the hotel room. It's not like we were going to sleep with it in this heat anyways.

Google macao beach if you haven't seen it before. It is very beautiful with a nice surf, and usually pretty quiet.

Nightliner

Apr 25, 2011
Hi there!

@Koreano: Thanks for that useful advice, however, i dont feel like taking chances at PUJ :)
@J.Baby: Thanks a lot for your useful advice. Much appreciated, as that sort of info is virtually unavailable anywhere.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The beach at Macao IS one of the most beautiful beaches ANYWHERE. when you come down that road past the police... or whatever it is... and you crest that hill... the view is like out of a movie or something.

There has been more and more "stuff" being added there... now I think you can sit on chairs at the little restaurant right by the surf school, and order beers or whatever. I THINK, (no promises) that you can now also rent a chair. I didn't know the surf school had boogie boards though. I know they do rent surfboards and have classes. If I was filthy rich, (and more stupid than I am), I'd somehow figure a way to buy a piece of ocean front property there. (just daydreaming... well.. evening dreaming. LOL)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
yep... wasn't sure... thought maybe police, or military... Just know it's a gov't building. but the point was the view of that perfect beach as you crest the hill. :)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Hi there!

@Koreano: Thanks for that useful advice, however, i dont feel like taking chances at PUJ :)
@J.Baby: Thanks a lot for your useful advice. Much appreciated, as that sort of info is virtually unavailable anywhere.

I guess it really doesn't matter as the cigarettes price in DR isn't too expensive. It's just hassle and sometimes they run out of cigarettes so if they do have your Newport buy it by carton and ask if they can give it to you cheaper. It may comedown to few pasos cheaper. When I send boy here to buy a carton it always come out cheaper per box. Of course it didn't work for me last time I tried this but you might be lucky.

Nightliner

Apr 25, 2011
I guess it really doesn't matter as the cigarettes price in DR isn't too expensive. It's just hassle and sometimes they run out of cigarettes so if they do have your Newport buy it by carton and ask if they can give it to you cheaper.

I think I'll pickup some when coming from the airport. If I run out, I'll just make a quick shopping trip to Fruisa. Anyone here knows the current going price for a pack of Newports/Marlboro Lights Menthol/similar? :) I remember something like 28 USD for a carton of Newports 2 yrs back.

preciosa79

Jun 7, 2013
Cigarettes

I think I'll pickup some when coming from the airport. If I run out, I'll just make a quick shopping trip to Fruisa. Anyone here knows the current going price for a pack of Newports/Marlboro Lights Menthol/similar? :) I remember something like 28 USD for a carton of Newports 2 yrs back.

Hey there!

Just walk out the RIU resort and take the bus from the corner there (at 35 pesos). At the "Bomba" (Gas Station) get out. There is a Car Wash right to your side, right beside that is a little colmado - cigarettes here a 115 peso.

IIf I don?t rent a car, I never care for prearrangements. Just take the cab but be aware that the prices in peso for taxis may differ as the use a strange (rather bad) exchange rate. In my experience, in PC it?s better to pay Taxis in Dollars (in the rest of the country, it isn?t).

Have a great stay!

Preciosa