Zemi Restaurant, Cabarete

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I just got back from eating at the new restaurant "ZEMI." What a fabulous experience that was!The owners of Gorditos, Joe & Deidre, have opened up ZEMI"s next door to Gorditos...within the Ocean Dream Plaza.

To say it was good would be a gross understatement. It was excellent! Let me start by saying that the service was fantastic; our server Miss California (Bay Area) knows how to wait tables. Wow, what a breath of fresh air this was. First, because she's beautiful, secondly, because she's attentive, third, because she's easy on the eye. Ok, two of the three variables are the same thing, but who's counting. Can't say that about every waitress here in the DR. Yes, they usually meet some of the criteria, but Miss California meets all three and more. I'll take her to go!

Last week we stopped by Gorditos, and for the hell of it, I went next door to Zemi's and ordered a shrimp appetizer. I eat a lot. I'm warming up for an eating contest this summer in Oslo, Norway. The shrimp appetizer was fantastic (see picture), and came with a home-made mango chutney sauce with a little bit of spice to it. Man, you talk about ecstasy...this was it! Tonight we went back. And am i happy we did.

We started out with a Gazpacho soup. It was delicious and fresh, and it was probably the best Gazpacho soup I've ever had (See the picture). It had fresh vegetables--including fresh avocado Man, i'm a sucker for fresh avocado. We also ordered another appetizer: Arugula with warm Goat cheese & Watermelon. What a refreshing take on goat cheese this was. The goat cheese is warm and sits on a bed of fresh arugula lettuce with a thick slice of fresh watermelon. Everything is fresh here. Wait until i get to the home-made Passion fruit cheesecake (Sadly, the picture did not come out).

After the appetizers, i asked Miss California what she recommended for an entree, and without hesitating, she suggested the steak (see pictures). The steak came out cooked to perfection with freshly chopped onions & fresh parsley nicely sprinkled on top of the steak. This was delicious and the fresh onions and parsley really added to the flavor of the steak.

Afterwards we ordered the home-made Passion fruit cheesecake. Man, this is worth driving from Santo Domingo for! I'm not kidding. This was the best cheesecake I've ever had. Hands down the freshest! The passion fruit really makes the cheesecake orgasmic. As a bonus, Joe brought us out a slice of "Flowerless" Chocolate cake. This too was delicious and for those of you whom are chocolate lovers--and who in their right mind isn't-- this is the way to go. But the cheesecake was my favorite. I don't know why....something about passion fruit and citrus when combined with dessert really turns me on. Makes my hormones start racing like mad!

1. Shrimps with homemade mango spicy chutney sauce:
DSC00305_zps6cac726c.jpg

2. Goat Cheese & Arugula:
DSC00316_zps018378c7.jpg

3. Fresh Gazpacho soup:
DSC00319_zps0c1493d6.jpg

4. Steak with onions & fresh parsley, rice & Black beans, & platanos:
DSC00321_zps617b8cae.jpg

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I was just at Zemi's restaurant in Ocean Dream Plaza this evening, Check out this Fresh Dorado dish...it's Amazing!:

20130420_174958_zps67e313a0.jpg

20130420_174947_zps0746bb36.jpg

20130420_174944_zpsd46c1d21.jpg

Frank

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Where's a photo of the waitress...........
Miss California................
You showed the main courses but not the desert..............

B in Santiago

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Frank,

I'm glad you enjoyed your meals, always good to see an enjoyable restaurant with good quality added to the roster. I agree with pollo that the gazpacho looks like a free-style interpretation.

How was the balance in taste between the onions (they look raw?) and the steak (looks like pork btw).

Can you share how much they set you back for the meals, inlcuding drinks?

Thanks,

MD

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank,

I'm glad you enjoyed your meals, always good to see an enjoyable restaurant with good quality added to the roster. I agree with pollo that the gazpacho looks like a free-style interpretation.

How was the balance in taste between the onions (they look raw?) and the steak (looks like pork btw).

Can you share how much they set you back for the meals, inlcuding drinks?

Thanks,

MD

Off the top of my head, i cannot recall the exact prices, but i do remember the prices being both affordable and on par with the surrounding establishments--like the Sushi restaurant next door which also serves non-fish related steak entree dishes.

The steak was a Churasco steak, and the fresh onions and parsley was delicious on top of the steak. i cannot recall if the onions were lightly sauteed or not, but man, it sure was good!!!!!

Frank

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
With all these fine restaurants I've been reading about in Cabarete.........
Sounds like a good place to live..........
I can't seem to find one like that in Santiago..........:cry:
BUT......I still love Santiago...:laugh::laugh:

B in Santiago

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Off the top of my head, i cannot recall the exact prices, but i do remember the prices being both affordable and on par with the surrounding establishments--like the Sushi restaurant next door which also serves non-fish related steak entree dishes.

The steak was a Churasco steak, and the fresh onions and parsley was delicious on top of the steak. i cannot recall if the onions were lightly sauteed or not, but man, it sure was good!!!!!

Frank

Ok, from the pics I see they try to do something a little different;

1. A different take on the Gazpacho
2. A different take on the Churassco con chimi-chumi

Interesting cuisine!

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
With all these fine restaurants I've been reading about in Cabarete.........
Sounds like a good place to live..........
I can't seem to find one like that in Santiago..........:cry:
BUT......I still love Santiago...:laugh::laugh:

B in Santiago

Santiago : Pez Dorado, Marisco Caribe?o (Marisco Centro), Viveres........ Fabio?s is not bad too. ??????