Best place to live in dr.

usa2dr

Apr 14, 2013
What towns and cities have you been to, out of the places you have been whats the best place to live.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
That is a difficult question to answer. It depends a lot on what your interests are and what your language skills are. If you like the city and mountains than Santiago is very nice. If you want to be in the heart of the city and culture than Santo Domingo is the place. If you like the beach, water sports and European cuisine than Las Terrenas may be your choice. It also depends if you are single, married or have children. Also, are you retired or working? I guess you need to narrow your choice first.

LTSteve

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
There is someplace for everybody. Its a big island, take your time to discover it then decide. Happy hunting.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I loved Samana and Las Terrenas. But there were not enough affordable flights to the area for me to put it on my list of places to live. Although it is such a beautiful area. I hear the golf is good too, but I don't play so I don't know.

Although I prefer Bavaro area because it is a close drive to La Romana and Higuey, and has a variety of beautiful beaches. It is also very tourist oriented. People complain it has no culture. But if you like beaches and pretty malls and going out dancing it is a good place. You can drive to culture nearby. The population is very tourist oriented and its gets pretty quiet in the off season. Prices can seem high sometimes compared to nearby Higuey, but its the tourism aspect. Also they are working so hard to pull the area together (sidewalks ect) The best part is - 24 hour electricity.

I'm a city girl, and I don't think you could pay me to live in SD, but I like being able to drive there quickly enough. I like to leave just as fast as I got there. Too dirty (unless your in a rich neighbourhood, even then...) Too sketchy. But some people fall in love with it. It is the oldest city in the Caribbean, so there is that....

As for Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete.... I found it to be dirty, rundown, and sketchy. It seemed to attract a different type of people as far as tourists go. The mountains are gorgeous however, and the sunsets are the best I have seen on the island.

I am curious how other people feel about some of the inland places I haven't been to yet. I hope I don't get hanged for calling PP sketchy and ugly. I probably will though

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It really all depends on what you want. In my mind anywhere you live has to be within a reasonable distance of an international airport and top class medical facilities. Those are a no brainer and do cut the place down quite a lot. If you have kids then you have to think of schools. Next decision is whether you speak Spanish or not and do you need other expats for company and conversation. If yes, again that will narrow your choices. Beach or mountains? Do you have transport? What do you need in terms of entertainment? Do you want an international supermarket or are you happy with Dominican food? Do you like going out to eat in a variety of restaurants?

You need to answer all of these questions first before you can make your mind up. I live in the mountains, no expats, no mosquitos, no humidity, no restaurants, no international supermarkets. I adore it as it suits me now. I have done the tourist beach area, and the town barrio area and this is where I will stay. The pleasure of the view, growing my own fruit and veg, total lack of crime (no bars on any doors or windows and not a padlock in sight) makes it paradise. I forgo the lack of culture and entertainment for evenings playing dominoes with the neighbours. It is all I need, but it would not be for everyone.

matilda

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I lived for two years in Santo Domingo and it was too big for me. I lived five years in Sosua now and it is sometimes too small for me. But I still think Sosua is the ideal choice for what I want, despite the unpopular opinion many have I like it. I live outside of the town center. I just like it because of the mix of Dominican and expat lifestyle and being between both Puerto Plata and Cabarete. Plus it is on the water.

Punta Cana is definitely nicer. It is defintely the spot attracting the tourists now. It is good for a vacation, but I don't think I'd want to live there.

I don't like Santiago, but only because it is not on the water and that is important to me. But if you are OK with that then it can be good. If it was on the water I'd probably be living in Santiago. A lot of expats live there. I visit Dominican relatives there frequently. Like Santo Domingo it has a little of everything, but it is not as crowded (though Santiago definitely has crowds).

Some people have told me La Romana is nice, but I haven't really spent any time there. I've only driven through a few times. Juan Dolio is just empty, but if you want a really quiet ocean front community that might be a good one. It's not that far to drive to either La Romana or Santo Domingo from there, at least not for me. Some people don't like to drive much though.

I only visited Samana once so I can't comment on it. Those are the bigger cities. But there are plenty of nice small towns around too. Some value can be found in small towns just outside of a city. You can cut your costs and still get into the city whenever you need or want something. But I'm going to guess that the more rural you are the more difficult time you will have with service (electricity, etc.). That is only a guess, maybe some folks who really live in the rural areas will chime in.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Rural area: 24/7 electric. Goes off once a week for 5 mins, and once a month for an hour or so (sorry!)
Water: comes every 2 weeks to fill cistern but new aqueduct should be open soon so comes more often. If runs out then can buy at RD$500 a truck load.
Phone: appalling. Claro has some service in some areas, Orange too but no other phones work.
Internet: aerial on roof. Very good fast and reliable but no idea where it comes from. Independent supplier RD$500 a month.

Matilda

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I like santiago to live but i just want to know what other people like and the places they have been .

Have you not traveled in country? Why would it matter what others think?
There have been many threads on this subject. To me, you're just asking a generic version that has been addressed many times.
Albeit, for me, it would be in the campo with a small town close by to get freek on!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Please be "Less Specific"?????????
If THAT is possible!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
By-the-way, how much does an apartment cost in the DR??????

How about ........ Kansas? Can someone post the >>>> Somewhere over the rainbow?

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
it really all depends on what you want. In my mind anywhere you live has to be within a reasonable distance of an international airport and top class medical facilities. Those are a no brainer and do cut the place down quite a lot. If you have kids then you have to think of schools. Next decision is whether you speak spanish or not and do you need other expats for company and conversation. If yes, again that will narrow your choices. Beach or mountains? Do you have transport? What do you need in terms of entertainment? Do you want an international supermarket or are you happy with dominican food? Do you like going out to eat in a variety of restaurants?

You need to answer all of these questions first before you can make your mind up. I live in the mountains, no expats, no mosquitos, no humidity, no restaurants, no international supermarkets. I adore it as it suits me now. I have done the tourist beach area, and the town barrio area and this is where i will stay. The pleasure of the view, growing my own fruit and veg, total lack of crime (no bars on any doors or windows and not a padlock in sight) makes it paradise. I forgo the lack of culture and entertainment for evenings playing dominoes with the neighbours. It is all i need, but it would not be for everyone.

Matilda

nuf said!!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I love the southern coast, if I didn't already own a home where we do I would like one at Playa Palenque in San Cristobal province.

After spending the weekend with Matilda and her husband up in the mountains, Mr. AE is making a lot of noise about moving there. It's everything she says it is.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Not really, I already got myself a sweet little spot on the island for a pretty good price!!. ... Quiet place, Nice neighbors, cheap great food, mountains, lagoon, I walk 100 meters to the beach, pretty close to everything I cared for and just far enough not to get carried away!!...
Capital 2 1/2 hours away.
Cabarete and Sosua.... 45 minutes
Las Terrenas..... 1:115 minutes.

No major discos, No Pedro Clisante ( which is pretty entertaining just to look at the scenery), Very quiet but I got used to it.
fish my own food... when I settle for good gonna start a garden....:knockedou

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
My choice:; Metro Country Club, Juan Dolio
No power, water issues, security A1, 40 minutes to Santo Domingo 15 minutes to Las Americas Intl. Airport- direct flights everywhere.
Decent beach, sleepy during the week and active on weekends... 10 minutes to San Pedro de Macoris.
Nice alternative lifestyle with both big city access and sleepy week lifestyle. School decent and improving.
Negative- need better medical facilities.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I have lived in different places around Barahona, 5 months in Santo Domingo, and am now living in San Francisco de Macoris. I do love San Francisco because I live just outside the heart of the city. I live in a newly built community which is comfortable and we are so close to the heart of everything. Yet not in the middle of a city such as Santo Domingo. I despised DESPISED Santo Domingo. It was totally not for me. I liked the movies, the bowling, etc.. but I have almost everything here in San Fran.. But honestly if I were to choose where to live.. I really love and enjoy the campo.. Which campo was my favorite? Enriquillio. It was gorgeous, right on the water, and the people were awesome. Never felt threatened, never uncomfortable.. Never had my house broken into, etc. I really love Enriquillio. This is NOT to be confused with anyplace near Lago de Enriquillo totally different and not close to one another.

So there you have my input. I will always be a Barahonero at heart.... so Enriquillo is where it is. My husband is from San Fran so here we are.. I do love it here too... but we all miss Enriquillio.

Jen