Need advice on water pump shut off issue

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I had a leak in the Pressure Switch (6 years old) though it was working, it leaked. I replaced it
with a new switch and now the water pump will not cut off. I have to use the circuit breaker to
control the pump. I built it up to 45 PSI (20 - 40) and noticed over a 60 minute period it lost all pressure.
Though no noticeable leak. Because I replaced the switch the holding tank drained down to the level of the switch, about half the tank. Is there more to this process then simply replacing the switch? I have adjusted the cut out nut but doesn't seem to matter. Thanks Phil

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
According to Mr. AE: "If you are using this for a cistern - check the 'check valve' at the end of the piping that goes to the cistern. "

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
dropshort yes there is and it is set properly. Thanks all for your advice, I'll purge and prime the pump and see if that fixes it. then I'll take Colon's advice.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
dropshort, you were right, purged and primed works great. Thank you. Phil By the way there are 2 adjustments. One to cut in and one to cut out. They are actually nuts compressing a spring that controls the on and off of the pump. Thanks again.