Camera Shop/Repair

Jan 17, 2009
Sorry, I should've clarified that I'm looking for a place in Santiago.

About the repair, I need them to clean the sensor, the mirror and quite likely the inside of the viewfinder. They are all in pretty bad shape. I can still use my camera but the speckles on the viewfinder drive me nuts and cleaning each photo of sensor dust too.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you don't find anywhere in Santiago, Kemil's Camera in Santo Domingo is your best bet. Plaza Castilla, Ave. Lincoln between 27 and Lope de Vega.

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks, Chirimoya. I hope to get this done when I go to Santiago, but if not, I would certainly bring it over to Santo Domingo.

Feb 7, 2007
Talking about this, anyone who can repair video cameras? My video camera has a mechanical problem inserting tape... (it's MiniDV type). Thank you.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
you can clean the sensor yourself... the mirror too if you're careful (it's a front surface mirror). cleaning the viewfinder is tricky, dust and dirt will come and go. have a go at it with some dust off... careful to "clear" the nozzle first, and keep the can vertical, especially if it's a new can. it's easy to clean the outside of the viewfinder... q tip with some lens cleaning fluid is the tool.

a repair service will charge a lot for this work. to do a comprehensive cleaning of the viewfinder would require disassembly of the camera... not something you want to get into and WAY more expensive than any advantage you might gain... especially as it doesn't affect the photos, only your view. Unless the viewfinder system is so dirty that the exposure system or focusing system is not working, it's best to give the outside a quick wipe and that's it.

For sensor cleaning read this:
Cleaning sensors by Thom Hogan

best gadget for sensor cleaning:
sensor swab... (pick the right one for your camera model)

Cleaning Digital Sensors, Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions

I know people get nervous about this, but trust me, it's not rocket science. just take your time until you get the hang of it. might take several attempts the first go-round, but it's a good thing to know how to do.

Jan 17, 2009
I don't get nervous about it CaptGlenn, have done it before, but when dust and particles are stuck and I don't have cleaning supplies with me, I'd rather pay to get it done than buy a lot of stuff on Amazon that may or may not work to clean this crap out of my sensor and mirror. Thanks anyway.