AMET Commander Wants More Con;trol Over Moto Conchos

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The commander of the traffic police (AMET) in Sos?a has asked the government to register the rest of the motorcycle taxi drivers.[/h]

[h=5]Thirty motoconchos are already equipped with a green vest with yellow striping and identity card. But there are more than 200 legal and illegal motoconchos active in Sos?a. Especially the motoconchos who come from surrounding villages to Sos?a for a piece of the pie are uncontrollable and often cause nuisance. The commander of the traffic police now wants all legal motoconchos as soon as possible equipped with a green vest with yellow striping and identity card. This makes it easier for the police to act against illegal motoconchos.[/h]

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
noise

They need to impose a noise pollution law on them and not concern on the vest,making them get there mufflers repaired!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I wonder who's primo makes those shirts?

I have lost count how many times I have seen ID cars, shirts, stickers and helmet numbers used to try and organise motoconchos. Every single time they have failed, normally after 2-3 months after the vests run out, sold 3 or 4 times or the cop commander get's changed etc.

Do I have a solution, nope. But I know from history and 15 years in the DR, it's not green vests.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I find it odd how some motoconcho drivers dutifully wear a helmet (often not strapped on) but passengers don't.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I find it odd how some motoconcho drivers dutifully wear a helmet (often not strapped on) but passengers don't.
There is no way that will ever be solved. Can you imagine sharing a helmet.
Wait a minute, there's a business poportunity here. Head condoms. ;) ;)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

Well you gotta start somewhere, so at least when they hit you, going down the wrong way on a one way street, drunk, at night (without their lights on), and fall, they may not have head injuries that they can sue you for.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
looks like AMET cop is getting plenty to eat. Is there a donut shop in Sosua? Some things will never change and controlling motos is one of em. I wince every time I see another truck load of new motos heading for Sosua.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Well you gotta start somewhere, so at least when they hit you, going down the wrong way on a one way street, drunk, at night (without their lights on), and fall, they may not have head injuries that they can sue you for.
How about this: pass a law that says-

• Any motorcyclist not wearing a proper helmet attached to the head and eye protection is ineligible for initiating liability suits
  • Any passenger not wearing a proper helmet attached to the head and eye protection is ineligible to initiate liability suits

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How about this: pass a law that says-

• Any motorcyclist not wearing a proper helmet attached to the head and eye protection is ineligible for initiating liability suits
  • Any passenger not wearing a proper helmet attached to the head and eye protection is ineligible to initiate liability suits

Wouldn't surprise me if it's already law.

The mere fact most have no insurance, license or road worthy moto should be enough, but it's not. Passing another law isn't going to help.

You need an iron fist to get through to the average person in the DR.
Crush their bikes in front of them if they are found to have no insurance etc.
Show the guy and his family on the TV screaming and crying as they loose the food off their table.
Do that a 100 times and you will start to see change, that I guarantee.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Show the guy and his family on the TV screaming and crying as they loose the food off their table.

Unfortunately, there is no politician in DR who has balls to do that.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You sound like Frank the Tank and badpiece.

Candelier? Trujillo?