Ripped at the Pump SHELL Station on the way to the Airport?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Yesterday I was on my way to PUJ and needed to top up my rental car, return it with a full tank. Stopped at the Shell Station, got $US20, which was about $RD800. I watched as the guy filled the tank, the pump gage went up all the way to RD$800. Turned the car back on and the needle was still at 3/4 full. I asked the guy, "Me dais gasolina"? He said yes sir I gave you the gasoline. Didn't have time to argue, flight was leaving in a few hours.

I know about the Gas scams, but this is the first time I actually saw the pump working, the gauge working, and I got ripped? I think I got ripped? Can these guys actually have the gauge move on the pump and its air?

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you cheated me out of my Gas, prepare to die." :hurt:

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
It's just a cheap float device..... sticks often especially after no use for 2-3 months...

this is true. they ARE more advanced with microprocessors but they still are the most inaccurate guages on a car. Mainly when close to full of close to bottom. Your microprocessor keeps the gauge from moving up and down rapidly when making turns etc. Keeps the needle steady. It records this info on the computer, it then uses an average to determine the best position and sometimes it is slow to respond when tank i emptied or filled rapidly.. it take the computer a while to clear data and reset. like anything it does not work perfect all the time jajajajaja its a dominican gas gauge jajajajaja The Car rental does not know anything about cars so you are screwed. You just confused the gauge. most times they work . but not 100%.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
the only good thing with the modern? fuel gauges is the fact that with the computers help they always register in your favor when they decide to go screwy. If it is not full it will show lower then what it really is. and the opposite it wil show less then you really have. that is built into all cars computers. So you probably had more fuel then you showed, so if they just go by say 3/4 tank visually and say you are 1/4 tank low and charge for 1/4 tank on paper, yes they ripped you off , but really they do not know how gauges work. it might have only been 1/2 liter or so (the error)..if they had gone to the pump and filled it up they would see that it did not take much to fill up

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
To have the full tank, you should have asked to fill until it's full (llenar), it would have shut off automatically, and you would have gotten a receipt...then the rental car company could just go... to greener pastures...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
From reading the responses I guess I didn't get ripped!? Meanwhile the rental car Company charged me extra for no full tank...
Was the gas gauge the type with little bars instead of a needle? I rented a vehicle last month with the bar type gauge. The attendent filled the tank till gas was pouring out but the gauge still would not register full. Finally about an half hour later the last bar lit up, full.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Maybe it is the rental car company that is doing the ripping here.
Similar thing happened to us returning to SDQ a while back. But we noticed at gas station, had the dude try to put more gas in, but it was FULL!! So when at rental office tried to explain, no joy of course. Had to take the rental agent with us back to the gas station and let them try to fill it again. It was overflowing, so he couldn't deny. But this took forever and just lucky we were early for flight. I wonder if they fixed it or just make extra $$ every time.....maybe you got the same car?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
When returning a car that needs to returned full, ask the guy to "fill" it up! Of course you can do this like 30 miles before you have to return it, to get your monies worth, the gauge wont move in 30 miles :)

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Did you see that he was filling the tank? Some years ago I had to stop at the Texaco pump near Las Terrenas at night, I said gasolina regular 3 mil pesos por favor, so the pump display was showing 00000 at the beginning, everything was looking fine until I took a look at my left mirror and guess what I saw? The guy was filling the 10 gallon canister sitting on the floor near my rear left wheel :) so I was watching him but I did not say anything... he filled the canister until it was 1000 pesos on the display, then he quickly moved the hose to my truck and started to fill the tank. Finally, after he finished, I said that I saw everything he did and I gave him 2 thousand pesos (that was the actual amount of gas he gave me) and a huge smile. He did not say anything :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
When returning a car that needs to returned full, ask the guy to "fill" it up! Of course you can do this like 30 miles before you have to return it, to get your monies worth, the gauge wont move in 30 miles :)

LOL, I do it all the time. I fill up the night before my departure day in the city. I drive to the airport the next day without having to worry about stopping to get gas.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
once got a rental that showed "full" on the gauge when I picked it up. drove around a short while, and when I went to top it off before heading on a road trip, the tank was nearly empty.... good thing I went to top off, or would have run out of gas in the middle of nowhere. needless to say, when returning the car, I only filled it up until the gauge said full... just as it was when I got it.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
I can most certainly say for sure that they are ripping people off at that station. It has happened to me twice that I have noticed. This is how they do it so you can beware next time you're filling there, 2 different regular attendants have pulled the same trick on me so I believe they all know it.

When you ask for lets say 1000 pesos worth of gas they punch in 1000 to the keypad.
This 1000 shows up on the pumps display where the amount of purchase is shown.
They will then start filling your tank, the display starts showing the amount of your purchase.
Under this display will show the amount you have received in gallons, pay attention to this display
When the display gets to say 600-800 and you aren't looking they will flip the switch on the pump or hit a reset button.
The display for the amount of the purchase will read 1000 again but the gallons received will read zero.
A properly completed pump will continue to show the gallons until the next purchase.

I now get out and stare at them when I HAVE to fill there, I avoid the crooks there at all cost. If you don't wanna get ripped off at this station never let your eyes off the attendant when filling up.