marrying a Domincan man...

bellakins

May 31, 2008
I am considering marrying a Dominican man who I have known for several years. Is there a thread on this?
How involved is the paperwork? and the financial considerations? I would like to also obtain Dominican citizenship and passport. What is the most expedient way to accomplish this. I am in the USA and travel to
the DR quite often. most likely I will need an attorney in Cabarete or Sosua...

please respond with helpful info. Not dumb comments.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I would never even date a Dominican man let alone marry one, sorry no good advice here!

g'luck!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry, but I am a little skiddish on your marriage. If you have to ask all these questions than I think you will be in over your head. Why are you considering marriage? Is this so your future husband can come to the States or are you going to live in the DR? The citizenship process is long and expensive. You need to start off with the residency process and then go from there.
Do your homework. It is all available on line.

LTSTeve

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
You sound like a great person. You sound like you really want to love and care for him and give him things that he does not have. Is he going to give you money or a residence to the DR? Is he going to stay with you after he gets his residence and citizenship? I do not know him. Is he a serious guy who never cheated, works, provides for himself and finished school?
Be careful because some Dominican men have horrible track records and are dishonest and manipulative and just want someone to give them residency or citizenship so they can come and fool around and act immature and childish and cause misery for the person who helped them. I am a guy, take it from me. I know some things. I used to be immature myself as a very young adult and consider myself a player. To many Dominican men and some foreign men, it is a sport to mac or pimp a woman to get everything and then split when they feel that they accomplished the challenge.

roymustang9

Nov 6, 2012
I would never even date a Dominican man let alone marry one, sorry no good advice here!

g'luck!

Is that because you are a man? The OP in question is a woman. I don't understand why virgins are the ones who try to give out relationship advice on the internet. The posters on this forum continue to be as useless as ever.

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
You need to start off with the residency process and then go from there.

LTSTeve

That's not true, you have to be married 6 months and you can apply directly for citizenship. You do NOT need a lawyer, if your hubby is proactive you guys can do it together. It doesn't cost that much, it is less expensive than residency. It would take you around 1 year.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Legal Forum not Mars/Venus..............................................

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

LTSTeve

So glad you brought that up. I always wondered why we have a legal forum. Some might consider it a place to get legal info and wow we are also online:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i believe the issue is that all docs should be apostilled now, no? you will need birth certificate and a statement you are single (like divorce papers, if that applies). plus passport. plus money. i suggest you go to JCE to fill the formal "sign here" part and then do the cover wedding where anyone can perform a ceremony (since you'd be officially and legally married).
if you want to do church roman catholics do concordat weddings. someone else as well but i am always at a loss when it comes to other religions.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
i believe the issue is that all docs should be apostilled now, no? you will need birth certificate and a statement you are single (like divorce papers, if that applies). plus passport. plus money. i suggest you go to JCE to fill the formal "sign here" part and then do the cover wedding where anyone can perform a ceremony (since you'd be officially and legally married).
if you want to do church roman catholics do concordat weddings. someone else as well but i am always at a loss when it comes to other religions.

everthing birth certificates, letter of divorce have to be apostled, your correct, Notarized means nothing. we did the civil wedding then two day later the church wedding just to be sure jajajajaaj..bring your photo man along also if a civil weddng.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Is that because you are a man? The OP in question is a woman. I don't understand why virgins are the ones who try to give out relationship advice on the internet. The posters on this forum continue to be as useless as ever.

The OP never stated gender, so there you go assuming, talk about useless and your assuming I would not marry a man, I just made it very clear it would not be a Dominican man..............

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Roy is out the building...............................

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
The OP never stated gender, so there you go assuming, talk about useless and your assuming I would not marry a man, I just made it very clear it would not be a Dominican man..............

I was just making a point, really I would not marry any man, well, Maria simply won't even let me look at another girl....dominicanas are so jealous, anyway roys gone now! by roy!

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Thanks for the helpful, positive info.

That's not true, you have to be married 6 months and you can apply directly for citizenship. You do NOT need a lawyer, if your hubby is proactive you guys can do it together. It doesn't cost that much, it is less expensive than residency. It would take you around 1 year.

Thanks again for the straight-forward info.
I was under the impression that the process is fairly simple, and it sounds like this is true. Good.
Bella