Canadian moving to DR via Bahamas

kbaley

Jun 7, 2013
Hi All,I'm moving down to DR this fall with my family after spending the last ten years in the Bahamas. Heading to the Sosua area. I'm interested in others' experience, especially those familiar with life in the Bahamas. Going to look around a bit before asking specific questions but the forum said to introduce yourself so here I am.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Not sure Sosua is the place for your family. RENT don't BUY and look around. Sosua is a neat place to go to but not live.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Welcome and hope you find what you're looking for here in the DR. We did 8 years ago and have lived in the Sosua/ Cabarete area since. Many families reside in this area and are quite happy here.

kbaley

Jun 7, 2013
Ya, we're renting for sure before we commit. Not selling our house in the Bahamas either, just in case. CaptnGlenn, that should answer your question :)

As for the location, that's out of our hands. We're moving for work and work is in Sosua. That said, nothing in my research suggested it wasn't a good place to live other than people saying it's not the "real" DR. Those suggesting other locations, can you expand?

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
I am from New Zealand and have lived the last 18 years in the Turks and Caicos Islands, fairly similar to the Bahamas.
I have been coming to the DR for the last 10 years and have seen a lot of the country, but like Sosua and have bought property here and am also moving here full time in October.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Welcome to Dr1 and to the Dominican Republic. Don't let the negative posts about Sosua influence you. Spend time there and make your own opinion. Good luck with your move.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I just can tell you, Dominican style of living is very diferent than you are used to see, so maybe you will think we are crazy or maybe you will think we are more freedom. Welcome again

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have lived, worked, and raised a family, in Santo Domingo for 18 years!
I go to Sosua for vacations!
Besides, some of the best Expats live in Sosua, and the North Coast!
Right Ken ????????????????
Eddy,????????????????
"DV8"??????????????
Cris colon

kbaley

Jun 7, 2013
@Riva_31 Is that compared to life in Canada or life in the Bahamas? Because after being in Nassau for 10 years, I've gotten used to regular power outages, sketchy work ethics, rampant corruption, variable infrastructure, and a high crime rate. I understand there are similar issues in DR so I'm mostly trying to figure out if it's better or worse.

kbaley

Jun 7, 2013
My last post left a bad taste in my mouth so wanted to clarify. Yes, I've gotten used to all those things in the Bahamas and yes, I've read that there are issues in the DR. But despite them, we chose to stay in Nassau because there's plenty to love about it. It took me a good two years to get used to it but that was because I was focusing more on what I lost after moving from Canada rather than what I had gained. I'm certain the same will hold true for the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ya, we're renting for sure before we commit. Not selling our house in the Bahamas either, just in case. CaptnGlenn, that should answer your question :)

As for the location, that's out of our hands. We're moving for work and work is in Sosua. That said, nothing in my research suggested it wasn't a good place to live other than people saying it's not the "real" DR. Those suggesting other locations, can you expand?

I think "not the real DR" is expressing the difference between a tourist area and a non-tourist area.
A continuing discussion/topic here.

Being from Nassau (touristy) you shouldn't notice a big difference.

As you say, your choice is limited due to your work.

I think you'll find the locals friendlier than Nassau....IMO

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
@Riva_31 Is that compared to life in Canada or life in the Bahamas? Because after being in Nassau for 10 years, I've gotten used to regular power outages, sketchy work ethics, rampant corruption, variable infrastructure, and a high crime rate. I understand there are similar issues in DR so I'm mostly trying to figure out if it's better or worse.

Sounds like you have an adaptation that will suit you well in the DR. No need to apologize on that. You have already had your 2 year "break-in" period, so to speak.