Copper Thieves Strike Again

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The road between El Batey and Charamicos has for some days been unlightened because miscreants stole at least 200 meters of cable which conected the lampposts. The road had been upgraded for the Semana Santa celebrations in Sos?a even with a new layer of asphalt, extra lights and road markings. This is to improve road safety during these holidays. Now it is dangerous again during the evening and night hours because it is very dark on the road. The National Police is doing everything to find the miscreants and get them behind bars.

Video: www.youtube.com[/h]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How much time does it take to remove 200 meters of high power electrical wire? Something tells me it took quite a while. Something also tells me someone must have been looking the other way while it was happening...

that's odd; that something tells me the same thing too. 200 meters? 600 feet? you can't just roll that up like a wad of chewing gum wrapper, and stick it in your pocket. only in the DR.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wouldn't take more than 15 minutes at most if it was a person with experience in things electrical. After Hurricane Katrina there were 3 different cases where people got killed trying to steal wire that was hooked up to power.
Der Fish

getting it down is only half the story. how do you move 600 feet of high tension wire without being detected?

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Or you cut it down and cut it in pieces with a hacksaw. Then you throw it in a fire to melt off the plastic and sell the copper some thieves are very fast

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
As I remember, some years ago they stole kilometers of cable from Las Americas highway between SD and the airport. Why there is no such thing as Nobel Prize for stealing? Dominicans could win it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As I remember, some years ago they stole kilometers of cable from Las Americas highway between SD and the airport. Why there is no such thing as Nobel Prize for stealing? Dominicans could win it.

actually, they stole a section of the security fence at Las Americas airport. yes; you heard right. the security fence.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
actually, they stole a section of the security fence at Las Americas airport. yes; you heard right. the security fence.
That's a different story. I remember that shortly after (a few months) the lights were installed first time between SD and the airport, they stole almost all of the cables in 2 days, and it was dark there again for some months until new aluminum cables were installed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's a different story. I remember that shortly after (a few months) the lights were installed first time between SD and the airport, they stole almost all of the cables in 2 days, and it was dark there again for some months until new aluminum cables were installed.

holy jeezus....