American involved car accident general questions and information/direction needed.

Iceberg

Apr 5, 2010
Wife has Mapfre insurance. Last night had fender bender at a light intersection. Long story short. I crashed our Mercedes. Was wondering with me not having a DR driver license will we encounter reluctance of claims reimbursement for repairs? What steps can I take to prevent this loss and not being a victim of a gringo. The other driver has or appears to plan on extorting me oppose letting our insurance companies handle the situation. Was just happy was not detained in jail over this sad situation. I need protection advice. Am not a rich individual. Have two children here that are Dominican and need my presence for survival. To be taken advantage of would jeopardize the family stability. Has anyone here have or experienced disservice from Mapfre seguro? have heard read many stories of great success from insurance companies companies repairing claims without realizing AM without a license and overstaying one tourist visa. And, have read many nightmares of stories. Guess what am trying do is prevent me becoming one of these horror stories. Any information how proceed forward will be greatly appreciated.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wife has Mapfre insurance. Last night had fender bender at a light intersection. Long story short. I crashed our Mercedes. Was wondering with me not having a DR driver license will we encounter reluctance of claims reimbursement for repairs? What steps can I take to prevent this loss and not being a victim of a gringo. The other driver has or appears to plan on extorting me oppose letting our insurance companies handle the situation. Was just happy was not detained in jail over this sad situation. I need protection advice. Am not a rich individual. Have two children here that are Dominican and need my presence for survival. To be taken advantage of would jeopardize the family stability. Has anyone here have or experienced disservice from Mapfre seguro? have heard read many stories of great success from insurance companies companies repairing claims without realizing AM without a license and overstaying one tourist visa. And, have read many nightmares of stories. Guess what am trying do is prevent me becoming one of these horror stories. Any information how proceed forward will be greatly appreciated.

i wish i could help you, but insurance in the DR is something with which i am unfamiliar. i handled insurance claims for 30 years in the USA, but there are things in the USA called LAWS, and that novel concept is yet to arrive on these shores. i wish you well.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Submit the claim to your insurance company. They will handle getting the automobile fixed. My collective family here has had quite a few accidents (not me, tho) and the various insurance companies we have had responded fine. I used Seguros Universal now days because I like the service better but all of them I've used seem fair. I have never had Mapfre, tho, but it has a decent reputation.

As for the other guy, lots depends upon how much he wants to scam you for. Once accident my sister was in went from $20,000 to RD$1,000 in the course of a few conversations. Funny as heck but basically it just came down to paying the "tip" to make it go away. Other times we have had to involve lawyers so if you do that, make sure it's a good one.

Good luck!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Submit the claim to your insurance company. They will handle getting the automobile fixed. My collective family here has had quite a few accidents (not me, tho) and the various insurance companies we have had responded fine. I used Seguros Universal now days because I like the service better but all of them I've used seem fair. I have never had Mapfre, tho, but it has a decent reputation.

As for the other guy, lots depends upon how much he wants to scam you for. Once accident my sister was in went from $20,000 to RD$1,000 in the course of a few conversations. Funny as heck but basically it just came down to paying the "tip" to make it go away. Other times we have had to involve lawyers so if you do that, make sure it's a good one.

Good luck!

if he submits the claim to his carrier, they should also handle the property damage liability claims. the OP should not even be negotiating anything with the owner of the other car. that is what insurance is for. or, should be for.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The only problem may be that you don't have a DR driving licence - if your tourist visa is expired. Officially your insurance isn't valid, but some say insurance companies have paid out nevertheless (suppose they're too lazy to check the licence situation).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The only problem may be that you don't have a DR driving licence - if your tourist visa is expired. Officially your insurance isn't valid, but some say insurance companies have paid out nevertheless (suppose they're too lazy to check the licence situation).
^^^This^^^

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Just had the driverside door and fender wiped out, tomorrow, he and I go to casa de conductor, he has full insurance as his car is being financed! I have basic coverage, so his insurance should cover all! only problem should be finding a replacement door for mine. expect no problems.
94 Toyota tercel vs Jeep Compass.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Ok, I have had 2 people hit me in the last 6 months... both not my fault I might add. The first I said my wife was driving as it was just easier to get it sorted at Casa de Conductor, the second some guy went straight in to the side of me as I was driving down Indepencia - luckily it was a nice guy with full insurance - my wife wasnt in the car so I had to go with the guy to Casa de conductor - he admitted all faults and his insurance company has agreed to pay. HOWEVER the police at Casa de conductor did want to see my entry stamp in my passport - I had overstayed my tourist visa but that doesnt matter but he did say you can only drive for up to 90 days on a foreign license... luckily 87 days before I got back from a weekend in the states so I was all good. But they do check!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ok, I have had 2 people hit me in the last 6 months... both not my fault I might add. The first I said my wife was driving as it was just easier to get it sorted at Casa de Conductor, the second some guy went straight in to the side of me as I was driving down Indepencia - luckily it was a nice guy with full insurance - my wife wasnt in the car so I had to go with the guy to Casa de conductor - he admitted all faults and his insurance company has agreed to pay. HOWEVER the police at Casa de conductor did want to see my entry stamp in my passport - I had overstayed my tourist visa but that doesnt matter but he did say you can only drive for up to 90 days on a foreign license... luckily 87 days before I got back from a weekend in the states so I was all good. But they do check!

in any 21st century jurisdiction, it should not matter if your license expired. that is a road traffic offense. you could have gotten a summons, but that does not mean that the adverse carrier can ignore your claim

May 12, 2005
American/foreigner in a car accident in DR? Just remember this,

You are;

Rear ended while waiting in traffic? Your fault

Car hit while parked? Your fault

Get t-boned by someone running a red light? Your fault

Get the idea?

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
in any 21st century jurisdiction, it should not matter if your license expired. that is a road traffic offense. you could have gotten a summons, but that does not mean that the adverse carrier can ignore your claim

I dont know about where you come from but if your license is expired in the UK there is no way the insurance would pay out.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I dont know about where you come from but if your license is expired in the UK there is no way the insurance would pay out.

i come from the United States, and if i am driving on an expired license, and a guy hits my car, his company has to pay. my driving status is immaterial. it is a case of damage to property, which does not change whether or not my license is valid. why should it? my property is no less damaged because my license is expired. the cops can issue me a summons, but the adverse carrier cannot decline the claim.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I had an accident with a motorcyclist in Santiago a few weeks ago. I think it was actually his fault, but with a trip ahead out of the country I paid his so called damage (merely a compensation for him not being able to work for 14 days and some small damage on his motorcycle). I thought my damage was minimal but when bringing the car to the garage the gave me a 60,000 pesos quote. I do have a Dominican drivers license, but no full insurance...:cry:

Sep 4, 2012
As CC states on many of his post. This is not the USA, it's the DR. Their country, their laws. As weird as they are, must be respected.

Sep 4, 2012
Buddy I don't argue in the internet. Calm down and enjoy life!

There are so many things to be happy about, I won't miss those by arguing. Disregard my post and be happy!