"La Chismosa" Bar Restaurant in SD.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Bar was locked down by "Procurador general de la republica "prosecutor general of DR" in order to stop discrimination in the country.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/En3gDsKauP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Both girls were not allowed in this restaurant just because of their skin color, both of them professional.

That's sad!

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chismosa was not closed because of this. some 17 year old got his face slapped there last week and that renewed everyone's interest in the place. yeni berenice had it closed up. she needs some public points after funglode story came out. here's the scoop on the story:
Jueza ordena cierre del bar La Chismosa tras incidente que culmin? con menor herido - DiarioLibre.com
maybe the kid who got his ass kicked is related to someone important who can pull the strings. because sure like hell no one gave a damn about those two morenas enough to shut down the bar...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The two girls being rejected was on Facebook or some other social network weeks ago. I didn't believe it by then either. I have almost been rejected entrance in a place while they noticed I came spying for the competition, maybe there were other reasons why they weren't let in. They are not even that 'dark' to be rejected based on racism. (Obviously NOT saying that anyone should be rejected based on skin color). Maybe the birthday was reserved for 30 people and 50 showed up? Too less information to determine if their story is valid.

What dv8 says makes more sense.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no one cares about racial discrimination, that issue died fast. but fiscalia is a bit tight lately when it comes to kids and adolescents so they were forced to step in.
makes me want to go and visit the place. anyone has been there?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
no one cares about racial discrimination, that issue died fast. but fiscalia is a bit tight lately when it comes to kids and adolescents so they were forced to step in.
makes me want to go and visit the place. anyone has been there?
My wife has, seems to be a nice place.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
chismosa was not closed because of this. some 17 year old got his face slapped there last week and that renewed everyone's interest in the place. yeni berenice had it closed up. she needs some public points after funglode story came out. here's the scoop on the story:
Jueza ordena cierre del bar La Chismosa tras incidente que culmin? con menor herido - DiarioLibre.com
maybe the kid who got his ass kicked is related to someone important who can pull the strings. because sure like hell no one gave a damn about those two morenas enough to shut down the bar...

It was a 16 year old who was badly injured during a fight inside the bar. He happens to be the grandson of the brother of a Ex-Minister in the Government and from a recognised family so yes it's highly probable that's why it was shut down. The press has been focused on his age and the fact that he was in the bar.
BTW, it is also true that this bar had multiple previous press reports of racial discrimination in regards to entry.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks for correction. i read this report Hieren menor en el bar La Chismosa - DiarioLibre.com and it gave age as 17.

it seems there are more important names included... one of the comments in DL says: Los due?os de ese bar no son hijos de machepa, asi que no se porque la jueza se molesta en hacer ese bulto si sabe que los papis de esos ni?itos tiene mas poder que ella en este pais... o bien en unos meses lo reabren o bien anulan la sentencia o bien lo cierran y en un mes ya los due?os abrieron otro con otro nombre.

and someone else goes: Si fuera otro bar, otros apellidos, otros ciudadanos... Hubieran 100 presos en lo que se resuelve el caso.

and there is more: Por favor...si la Policia designo un General para esta investigacion y solo hay uno detenido..esta mas claro que el agua..Todos, incluyendo los due?os del bar son hijos de papi y mami con apellidos sonoros..de esos 15 que sabemos son los due?os del pais..ademas 1 solo detenido..que pasa..en mi barrio un pleito menor que este y hasta el que pasaba por el frente estaba preso..aqui esta la mueestra mas clara de la diferencias de clases..inclusive apoyadas por el mismo aparato gubernamental..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not let those two in my bar either. you are told "no go" and you hang outside for nearly an hour to see who's let and and who's not? that's petty.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
That May television broadcast was the first mainstream report, but it was marinating in some social media and lesser press since late 2012. After reading about this incident I remembered that Twitter was abuzz around Christmas last year with this Latino Profesor (he wasnt Dominican) who claimed he was denied entry because of skin colour/color
on the discrimination: this is what I found. Comunicado del Due?o del Bar Restaurant La Chismosa | El Pa?s - Noticias de Rep. Dom. y el Mundo

Just like I thought, the reservation for the birthday was for only 10 people, so they couldnt allow more people in. The girl in the video says: "I looked around at who were accepted and they were all white...", that's pulling the racism card.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Just have "Obama" show up, and see if he gets in.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I remember a night driving from STI / Bonao JB flight 2:45 am... Two caps pulled me out at the old Peaje station La vega, you know giving us a hard time looking to make some money...

When my client AA guy identified him self as a US military guy everything change for good, they let us go with not problem.

haha

JJ

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
on the discrimination: this is what I found. Comunicado del Due?o del Bar Restaurant La Chismosa | El Pa?s - Noticias de Rep. Dom. y el Mundo

Just like I thought, the reservation for the birthday was for only 10 people, so they couldnt allow more people in. The girl in the video says: "I looked around at who were accepted and they were all white...", that's pulling the racism card.

I don't buy that. I've never seen a bar in DR where people are not accepted because "all tables are full", that's BS. People in bars stand and walk around while drinking, sit at the bar or just stand in a little space between bar stools. I can't tell for sure there are racial issues behind this, but that statement from the alleged owners makes me think something's fishy. And knowing DR as I do, I think the racial reason is very high among the probably causes. I've seen it happen multiple times, so it's not like it's rare.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This has been going on for years, nothing new. It will continue to go on, racism is alive and well in the DR.

Maybe if they studied at PUCCM, they would have had a better chance of getting in ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
2z66pnc.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The problem with many of these discrimination stories that makes it to the press is that often times, the decision to exclude a person more often than not has nothing to do with their skin color and more with how the act, their speech pattern, etc. Chopismo is simply not something that will be tolerated in certain places because it will affect the main client base, and chopismo is NOT tied to color at all, because there are many pasty chopos out there and they are not allowed in either.

In this particular place, quite a few people know darker people that have been there and this is the only reason why I don't believe the story.

I've said it many times (though not on this board) that when a white Dominican is prevented from entering a place (and this happens A LOT, often for the same reason someone of color is not allowed in and it has to do with chopismo or simply dress codes), no one, including the person that is rejected, thinks much of it. But when it happens to anyone with a slight tan on darker, suddenly the first thing they think is that its due to their skin color. This has become quite in vogue in recent decades because of all the noise the whole racism argument has been making in certain circles and how the media jumps at anything like this without even digging deeper. Its not so hard to meet people that either know someone that is dark and has been there or a dark people themselves that have been there.