Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

few points:
    gorgon: damn it, you have le creuset cookware? tell the lady it costs more than her yearly salary, that should keep them in check.
    jabejuventus: dominicans do not clean their pots. it's a profession. i forgot what they are called but basically it's just folks who go around the campo/barrio and for a small rate polish those pots. and believe it or not this is done with fire.
    finally, the OP: those things are not even cheap. i wanted to buy one for the dogs since they ate two plastic bowls. i saw the price and nah, could not be bothered.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    few points:
    gorgon: damn it, you have le creuset cookware? tell the lady it costs more than her yearly salary, that should keep them in check.
    jabejuventus: dominicans do not clean their pots. it's a profession. i forgot what they are called but basically it's just folks who go around the campo/barrio and for a small rate polish those pots. and believe it or not this is done with fire.
    finally, the OP: those things are not even cheap. i wanted to buy one for the dogs since they ate two plastic bowls. i saw the price and nah, could not be bothered.
    yeaah; then she would get her motoconcho marido to come kill me to heist them.

3. Likes Rattus_Rattus liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Many Dominicans are still coming from households with kerosene stoves. They tend to leave a layer of soot on the outside of pots and pans and besides looking bad, it can spread to any other surface it contacts. So they make a real effort to get it off. I think one trick is they use a little kero as a solvent before washing again with soap. I used to use a dab of Coleman fuel to help clean my pots after I went camping with them.

There are many trivial items that we simply take for granted. When I was staying with a GF about 10 years ago, she had a single light bulb for her house that was wired in without a switch, so that to turn it off and on her son had to get on a chair to unscrew the lightbulb every time. I went to the local hardware store and got her a pull chain that screwed into the socket so they could turn it off on without all of the fuss. My GF had never seen a pull chain for a light before. It's the same as the concept of a device made just for opening cans.

Dominicans are also constantly amused by our lack of "common sense." I had this happen to me when I tried to get a chicken to go after a giant cockroach. "Chickens don't eat cockroaches!" Who knew? Apparently, just about anyone over 5 in the DR...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    dominicans do not clean their pots. it's a profession. i forgot what they are called but basically it's just folks who go around the campo/barrio and for a small rate polish those pots. and believe it or not this is done with fire.
    Spoke to my wife after my post. Some of what you say is true. Miesposa says, though, that "brillando" is more cultural than anything else. Something along the lines of Dominican households always "trapiando."

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This would break my heart. I adore my Le Creuset cookware but do not permit anyone but myself to use or clean.

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i learned real fast. the first time a housekeeper took steel wool to my Le Creuset dutch oven, i knew, then and there, that certain things are best done yourself.

7. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thatoneguy View Post
    Are you 100% sure on the chicken/cockroach thing?
    They apparently have some kind of stink gland that makes them inedible. The chicken was practically stepping on it and showed no interest at all and they were telling me it was a waste of time...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't even let Americans handle my kitchen gear unless I'm directly supervising them. I've seen some obscene stupidity in supposedly professional kitchens. At one kitchen I was visiting that I use to manage, I had to stop them from tossing out a huge aluminum roasting pan set as scrap metal that was worth over $250. They also wanted to toss out some cast large iron skillets because they were rusty. They had been running them through the dishwasher.. ugh.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"MANY Dominicans still use kerosene stoves"???????????????????????????
    Since 1986 I have not seen one yet!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    A propane stove/burner, that is not adjusted correctly WILL leave a "sooty" pan.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

11. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    "MANY Dominicans still use kerosene stoves"???????????????????????????
    Since 1986 I have not seen one yet!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    A propane stove/burner, that is not adjusted correctly WILL leave a "sooty" pan.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    I've never seen a kerosene stove either - many of our DR neighbors still cook with wood, they have a little 'casita' or tent out behind their house where they do their cooking. Now I'm sure THAT leaves soot.

Admin
    DR1.com

13. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I've never seen a kerosene stove either - many of our DR neighbors still cook with wood, they have a little 'casita' or tent out behind their house where they do their cooking. Now I'm sure THAT leaves soot.
    I've seen them in the campo, but it was a long time ago. They prob have switched to propane since then. The black pots issue hasn't gone away yet..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast