Weird food question

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
I don't suppose there is a Pho joint anywhere on the north coast, is there? The inevitability of my move there, and the excitement that comes with it, is beginning to be temepered buy what I'm looking at loosing. Still super-siced but the list grows:

College Footbal
Limited NFL
Pho (I think)
Select firearms
Ridonkously fast internet

Just a short list...

Thanks!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pho? what the phock is that? ;) there is a vietnamese restaurant in cabarete. the review is somewhere on dr1: viet cafe?
cannot speak about sport as i think this is the most ridiculous of all human activities.
not sure what "selected firearms" mean. bazooka? ;) guns are expensive in DR anyways.
fast internet can be obtained at a cost. large companies (and i know some individual people as well) have a special super fast line, T1 or whatever they call it. costs arm and leg, thou.

May 29, 2006
The list of *unobtainium* items is pretty long in the DR. People get excited just over decent pizza. Many imported items are easy enough to get, but at more than double the mainland price.

It's not the exotic items that cause the most frustration. It's the little things that will wear you down ~items you can find at any gas station in the US may involve a trip to a major city to get in the DR and five different supermarkets. Toiletries and spices are esp vulnerable to this.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The list of *unobtainium* items is pretty long in the DR. People get excited just over decent pizza. Many imported items are easy enough to get, but at more than double the mainland price.

It's not the exotic items that cause the most frustration. It's the little things that will wear you down ~items you can find at any gas station in the US may involve a trip to a major city to get in the DR and five different supermarkets. Toiletries and spices are esp vulnerable to this.

Is there a place to get White Castle burgers?

May 29, 2006
Sure as long as you bring one of these with you:

slider-burger-press.jpg

and some dried onions to sprinkle on top..

Seriously, if you can bring a Foreman Grill, you won't regret it...

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
No pho anywhere on the North Coast or Cibao valley - I'd like to be wrong on this one. Vietcafe in Cabarete is out of business since May, not that they had pho a single time when I was there.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

Yes bravo in santiago has them in the frozen foods section, I am almost to the point where there is nothing I can't find in the DR anymore, if it's not here in santiago, it will most definitely be in the capital..

The problem with the small beach towns is the same issue you'd have living in any small town anywhere in the world really, just small selection based on what's mostly consumed.

On topic : I've eaten at the Viet Cafe in Cabarete a few times and it was always awesome, I've only had the Pad Thai tho, but I've seen Pho on the menu.. Warning: This place has the most erratic hours I've ever seen for a restaurant, I went like 4 times in one week and they were closed everyday but one of them.

Edit: Well I guess they closed down, last time I went was in April and that was when they had the issue of opening on random days.. farewell great place to get pad thai, now I know of almost nowhere on the island to get a decent pad thai. pls don't suggest yamazoto lol

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Over the years, I have stocked up on spices I need to cook. And I have learned how to make the things I couldn't find.

For example: pimiento cheese. I can't find it anywhere here, but I can find all the ingredients at the local Sirena. And now I have adapted the recipe for my personal tastes, using half cheddar cheese and half pepper jack cheese.

I just looked up a recipe for pho on allrecipes.com. Most all the ingredients are available here, though a couple will involve some searching. And you can always order spices from amazon.com and have them shipped via EPS or CPS. Though I understand there are less expensive alternatives for shipping.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Nothing "weird" about your question....guess we all miss something eh?
My misses are
Burger King
Proper British chocolate
Bisto gravy and
Frozen Yorkshire puddings....no lard either to make real ones

Dec 26, 2011
Someone should open up a pho place, they are so popular in Van, could be of our Asian population though....All my gringo friends are addicted to it!!!

There's really nothing like it.:

[video=youtube;PsSiA-JHm0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsSiA-JHm0U[/video]

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Nothing "weird" about your question....guess we all miss something eh?
My misses are
Burger King
Proper British chocolate
Bisto gravy and
Frozen Yorkshire puddings....no lard either to make real ones
There's a Brit pub, near me in Sunrise that sells Bisto in a side store. PM me, if interested
Roll

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
You don't have to miss college football. In SD I used to watch either on my computer through a paid for package or at the 5 Star sports bar. Another option that I use more often now is to watch the games with my sister using Skype. We video call and she points the laptop camera at her TV so I can watch off her game. I like this option the best since it also allows for family time, even if she does tease me by always having bacon sandwiches or some other pork based food since where I am currently living pork is not allowed. So I always have the 24/7 Burger King Delivery bring something even though it is usually three or so in the morning. :rambo:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

Maybe in DR:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AAX-el7ZaN0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NOT:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8I1HfVPVzQ0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Bisto gravy
i am going to the UK soon and i will fill a bathtub with that (laughs crazily, while stroking a white cat with a diamond studded collar). no, mister bond, i expect you to DIE (laughs, chokes).

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There's really nothing like it.:

Thanks for the clip, as I had no idea what we were talking about. Was it friend or pho? We don't have many Vietnamese restaurants where I come from in the UK.

I'm still a bit alarmed about the OP's desire for "select firearms" at the same time though!