Amazing News from Cabrera

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I felt I just had to share this because I'm astounded that it happened.

After living in this country for nearly a decade I've become very used to politicians (and others) promising the moon and delivering cow dung (if they deliver anything at all). In other words, a promise is only as good as it takes for them to get out of you what they want out of you.

So when President Danilo showed up not too long ago and promised to pave the malecon in Cabrera I rolled my eyes. How many times had I heard that old promise? I can't count that high. Our malecon has been a dusty road alongside the ocean and will always remain that dusty side road, or so I thought.

Lo and behold! Danilo did what he said he was gonna do and now we have a brand new, perfectly paved, sidewalk framed, well-lit malecon in Cabrera! He sure fooled my ass! A man who does what he says...in this country...sheesh, maybe the world really IS round(ish)!

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
It is pretty amazing! We go for a walk down there most evenings now and it is just so nice to see so many people out walking, pushing strollers, rollerblading, sitting on the benches (and I mean before the madness that is this weekend's festivities). What a change! I have a few photos I'll try to put up on this thread tomorrow.

I felt I just had to share this because I'm astounded that it happened.

After living in this country for nearly a decade I've become very used to politicians (and others) promising the moon and delivering cow dung (if they deliver anything at all). In other words, a promise is only as good as it takes for them to get out of you what they want out of you.

So when President Danilo showed up not too long ago and promised to pave the malecon in Cabrera I rolled my eyes. How many times had I heard that old promise? I can't count that high. Our malecon has been a dusty road alongside the ocean and will always remain that dusty side road, or so I thought.

Lo and behold! Danilo did what he said he was gonna do and now we have a brand new, perfectly paved, sidewalk framed, well-lit malecon in Cabrera! He sure fooled my ass! A man who does what he says...in this country...sheesh, maybe the world really IS round(ish)!

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I will say he seems to be making a difference and he does do what he says he will do. Some of my family is involved in politics here, some PLD and some PRD so the family is split. I just listen and stay out of it myself. But what I hear at family gatherings is that even those who were against him at first are now saying that he is doing a good job and that they are impressed. Some things he focuses on seem so unimportant in the big scheme of things, but at least he is getting stuff done. This country needs a lot of improvements and it isn't going to all happen over night but a lot of small steps will add up.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I was amazed by road markings and zebra crossings in sosua- they even appear to have used the correct paint this time rather than poster paint

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If only he could be that new style President and sit long term like the other two have seemed to pull off. Sadly I think it may all be part of the Lionel agenda and things will change at the right moment for the wolfs return. It could all be script! Damn I hope Im wrong!!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The amazing part is the paving took place in a non-presidential election year.

Regards,

PJT

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
i noticed a huge change when Danillo took over. First thing i noticed was the streets were remarkably cleaner. And now they have painted stripes on the autopista to the airport and even put down reflectors. Yay. He was my choice before the election. Papa just seemed loco and struck me as class agitator. Granted there are huge class problems here but agitating the problem doesnt solve it. Soon we will have fishing piers on the malecon in Santo Domingo. Yay again.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i noticed a huge change when Danillo took over. First thing i noticed was the streets were remarkably cleaner. And now they have painted stripes on the autopista to the airport and even put down reflectors. Yay. He was my choice before the election. Papa just seemed loco and struck me as class agitator. Granted there are huge class problems here but agitating the problem doesnt solve it. Soon we will have fishing piers on the malecon in Santo Domingo. Yay again.

Danilo is doing a really good job. what makes it seem even better is that his predecessor, Lie-onel, is such a useless load, a broomstick would look great by comparison.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
60007_10151766157520560_861154555_n.jpg

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sr Danilo also said we were going to get asphalt in ProCab, Cabarete. Unfortunately, he forgot that the mayor here has other matters on his mind - such as ongoing court cases. The result is, the roads were prepared at residents' expense as agreed with the mayor's sidekick but the asphalt has never appeared. All the expensive preparation work is now being undone by traffic and rain. Even Danilo can't make miracles happen in Cabarete!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Nice pictures, looks great. Thanks Travelhippo.

These are some of the things that need to happen in Sosua before any of the stuff they are talking about. In Sosua they painted up the same old crappy roads...infrastructure is the key.