A lawyers obligations?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm in a bit of a muddle about when a lawyers responsibilities are considered complete. I employed a lawyer to represent me in a dispute. We went to court, and an order was made, agreed, signed and legalized. I thought case closed, great, I'm happy.
Now several months down the line the other party involved is not honoring the court order, yet I am constantly meeting my end of the agreement, and some if the truth be known.

I have told my lawyer and he tells me his obligations are complete. We signed an agreement between us at the beginning of all this stating I was paying for him to represent me in the case including X, Y and Z to be resolved, we thought it was, but it isn't being honored. Any more action would require more money, but it states on the agreement the money paid was to complete these existing issues, and so in reality what is on paper is not being honored, by anyone other than me.

I admit maybe I have this wrong but what would be your view on this?

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
It stinks doesn,t it...and I hope that someone on the forum will be able to help you get what you paid for....good luck

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As usual, getting a judgement is one thing and collecting something else.

You might should have given him a % of whatever he collected, like 30%.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That breaks down as the same as me paying out for more of his services and so exactly what I'd like to avoid. If he is not honoring his end then that's it, I'm done with him, if he is then I might consider my options with him. Also if he is fleecing me then offering more fleecing opportunities would be a little thoughtless of me, a bit like offering a rapist a jar of Vaseline and drugging myself.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How will you collect, then?

That's the cost/benefit/hassle analysis that needs to be done before hiring any lawyer anywhere...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It really sticks when you are him.

ANOTHER DRAMA!

Every time you post in my threads you lower your value as a person, not just a DR1 member. Your infactuations with me are now a part of DR1 routine and attract as much attention as those pesky pop ups, nada. Yu seem to think anything in my life is a drama which kind of tells us how much of an anti climax your life must be as this stuff is day to day living Ringo, nothing near a drama, unfortunately for you. I suspect if I told you I took a taxi today you'd try to convince yourself or others (I dunno who is more important to you, what people think of me, or think of you) it was the most dramatic taxi ride in Dominican history. Just like asking what documents would have my blood type on them, which you consider a huge drama. Asking best routes into the city on public transport when my car was broke, which had you almost frothing at the mouth at how crazy I was for asking such a thing. And now asking members on their opinion of when a lawyers duties are complete, which has also got you cumming in your pants apparently. Yu are aware of how similar you are to R&B, and that is not a good thing.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
here we go again......

Yes, and all on me I suppose?
I'm making all these pathetic immature comments on serious threads?

Haha, c'mon in Olly and R&B, might as Well, seems like my legal thread has already turning into a mincers meeting?

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
hey this post does not call for a bitching session....its a sensible post and a member needs help/advice/opinion

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
ALL his posts are urgent and important. to him. Look up his past "wolf" hollers.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf is one of Aesop's Fables, numbered 210 in the Perry Index. From it is derived the English idiom "to cry wolf", meaning to give a false alarm.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf
Yes thanks Ringo...I don't need a lecture on the story nor its moral....I am BRITISH
And yes I have noticed that certain people will post anything in order to capture an audience for their "5 minutes of fame"
I could suggest that you cease reading "HIS" posts if they cause you such pointless emotion.....try joining a volunteer corps and make your life and that of others a little more worthwhile.
If you really want to retort then read some of my posts and replies!!!!
You could have a critical feast lol

Jan 9, 2004
I'm in a bit of a muddle about when a lawyers responsibilities are considered complete. I employed a lawyer to represent me in a dispute. We went to court, and an order was made, agreed, signed and legalized. I thought case closed, great, I'm happy.
Now several months down the line the other party involved is not honoring the court order, yet I am constantly meeting my end of the agreement, and some if the truth be known.

I have told my lawyer and he tells me his obligations are complete. We signed an agreement between us at the beginning of all this stating I was paying for him to represent me in the case including X, Y and Z to be resolved, we thought it was, but it isn't being honored. Any more action would require more money, but it states on the agreement the money paid was to complete these existing issues, and so in reality what is on paper is not being honored, by anyone other than me.

I admit maybe I have this wrong but what would be your view on this?

The biggest mistake that many lawyers make is not setting the parameters of their representation and putting them clearly and in writing.

That having been said, it appears you got what you paid for. He/she is not your lifetime counsel or even your continuing counsel....if x, y, and z have been met.

By way of example, if you hired counsel to represent you in lets say a divorce matter and after two years of court battles a separation agreement is signed and the divorce becomes final....that matter is over.

Now lets say a month later your spouse fails to pay child support or violates the agreement and does not let you see the children. While those issues may be related to the divorce, they are separate ancillary matters and would/may require renewed representation......and that sounds very much like your situation.

You paid for representation to reach an agreement...it appears you did reach an agreement, and the lawyers obligations are finished. Violations of that agreement by the opposing party, unless covered in writing to the contrary, are entirely separate matters.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
ALL his posts are urgent and important. to him. Look up his past "wolf" hollers.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf is one of Aesop's Fables, numbered 210 in the Perry Index. From it is derived the English idiom "to cry wolf", meaning to give a false alarm.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf

Point out to the readers please what makes you consider this OP urgent?
I am sure I am not the only one wondering how you read the urgency not an OP simply asking for those 'opinions'.
Then please kindly explain the 'wolf' posts, again, I am interested. Now I know you read all my posts and so this should be easy. If you can do neither then I suggest you do as others have suggested and find a hobby to distract you from what I am doing with my life, my dramatic lifestyle that you describe.

Now you can not explain yourself, can we please get back to the OP, I'd like to remind some of our more troubled readers that this is on the legal forum and not the off topic, as some seem confused.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The biggest mistake that many lawyers make is not setting the parameters of their representation and putting them clearly and in writing.

That having been said, it appears you got what you paid for. He/she is not your lifetime counsel or even your continuing counsel....if x, y, and z have been met.

By way of example, if you hired counsel to represent you in lets say a divorce matter and after two years of court battles a separation agreement is signed and the divorce becomes final....that matter is over.

Now lets say a month later your spouse fails to pay child support or violates the agreement and does not let you see the children. While those issues may be related to the divorce, they are separate ancillary matters and would/may require renewed representation......and that sounds very much like your situation.

You paid for representation to reach an agreement...it appears you did reach an agreement, and the lawyers obligations are finished. Violations of that agreement by the opposing party, unless covered in writing to the contrary, are entirely separate matters.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thankyou, I suppose this makes sense and yes you covered what I was asking. You say that lawyers making mistakes with not clarifying specifics. If I have an agreement that states 'all related' to X,Y and Z then might that be enough or are we dead set that once that court closes and the orders are legalized then we part? It's very unclear in the way the agreement is written, but I expect as he is the lawyer he has all the power to make it mean whatever he wants?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I tried to download something and it didn't work. CXL.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
[video=youtube;mEu8DrO9PbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEu8DrO9PbY[/video]

OK gadah. This is a simple but great song that no one knows. Like Frank12 in his book and he hears some music that moves him and he starts wailing.. I do the same to this type of music on my piano.

Let's move forward. This song is for you in good spirit and with sincerity. I'll try to do better to stand next to you and with you.

Last edited: