Sand Fleas and Manatees - Punta Rucia

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Did a two day trip to Punta Rucia, stayed at the Punta Rucia Lodge. Very nice accommodations. Here are my two cents:

1) We did a day trip to Paradise Island was pleasantly surprised. Did not have much expectations, its just a sand bar, but the snorkeling off the reef there was pretty good. Then on the way back, we avoided the rough sea by going through natural mangrove rivers, this was pretty exciting. Got a video here:

GOPR0159 on Vimeo

2) We hung out at a place at the end of Punta Rucia beach, was very pretty there, but got eaten by sand fleas, still itching 10 days later. My GF covered in about 200 bites, me about 50. She has been itching since two days after trip, I started a few days ago and still going. Those are real bad pests.

3) Visited the manatee sanctuary - only saw 1, about 100 yards away from observation point.

4) Good and cheap (relatively speaking) lobster available everywhere. We ate at Damaris's, was very good.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nice. I got to pet a manatee at the aquarium in Santo Domingo. Very interesting animals.

I checked the price on the Punta Rucia Lodge. Way over what I would pay anywhere to stay for a night, but it does look wonderful for those into that kind of place.

Thanks for the warning on the sand fleas. Anyone know a repellent that works against them?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not sand fleas.. Those are mi-mis...or ge-genes...or no-see-ems.....Nasty little bastids that leave a red dot in the middle.
Your GF looks like she has chicken pox, I'll bet.

HB

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
been subject to the "Red Dot" bite myself....I sterilised a needle to let the gunk out then treated with TCP and antiseptic cream.
Always find that itching is worst at nite....incredible but true remedy....peppermint toothpaste....however unlike me remember to wash it off next morning, I have been dog walking numerous times with white paste smeared over my legs....it does however prove to be a great remedy for Sanky attention:bunny:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have heard that the water there is very shallow.. is this so?

the water off the beaches off Paradise Island is shallow yes, but you can find deeper areas. There is also a cut through the reef and you can snorkel on the outside of the reef, where the water is 7M+ deep. You can see from the videos that it gets deeper.