Moving to the DR on tourist visa?

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
My family and I are planning a move to DR mid-Sept., and are buying one way tickets and coming in on tourist visas. We will also have 12 suitcases/boxes (we are a family of 5). We plan to renew visas and start process of residency once settled. Is it crazy to enter the country this way, is customs going to even let us? Oh, and we will have our dog :)

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You have to start the process at the embassy/ consulate of the DR in your home country, so better buy return tickets.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
My family and I are planning a move to DR mid-Sept., and are buying one way tickets and coming in on tourist visas. We will also have 12 suitcases/boxes (we are a family of 5). We plan to renew visas and start process of residency once settled. Is it crazy to enter the country this way, is customs going to even let us? Oh, and we will have our dog :)

Yes you can, but it will be just more problematic down the line to get things the right way after all that.

A lot of folks do it that way (well before that is), but things have changed a whole lot since then.

Where are you coming from if I may ask?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Better start the process in your country, also i sugest you to buy a return tickets, I know now for Canadians to come to Dominican Republic must have a return ticket. You can stay over 90 days and then ask for an extension that way you wont have to pay taxes when going back for overstay the 90 days limit. Good Luck.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Better start the process in your country, also i sugest you to buy a return tickets, I know now for Canadians to come to Dominican Republic must have a return ticket. You can stay over 90 days and then ask for an extension that way you wont have to pay taxes when going back for overstay the 90 days limit. Good Luck.

Perhaps you are speaking about Canadian taxes, but for the DR tourist visa, you are only allowed a 30 day stay.

To the OP, your situation will depend on the country from which you are coming and if you or your spouse is a Dominican citizen.

Some airlines will allow you to purchase refundable tickets, but there are rules about how the money can be refunded. It depends on the airline and the country from which you are emigrating.

Bringing the dog in is easy, provided you have a health certificate. You can bring a dog with only a tourist visa.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I read your other post in a different thread.

MOST DEFINITELY, you will want to begin the process before you move. In fact, you should have already started. You're planning on starting a business here, and that will be an involved process. The Cedula will be necessary.

Given your situation, you will want to return to the US in a few months to pick up supllies that you cannot find here. After you have residency, you or your spouse can make a quick trip back and then get refunds on the other tickets.

I have found that on American Airlines, the difference between coach and business class is so small that it is more cost effective for me to purchase a business class ticket and bring in three checked bags. I also can take coffee with me back to the US for friends and to sell to others. The money I make selling the coffee pays for the supplies.

I'm going to be honest here: this is not an easy country. I'm very nervous for you, especially given that you have not researched something as basic as residency with your move coming in only a month. For your sake and that of your children, please make sure you have a good exit strategy in the event of an emerigency. For example, I keep enough money and frequent flier miles at all times in case I get sick or something happens to a family member back in the States and I have to rush home. I'm hoping that you and your spouse have done lots and lots and lots of research regarding starting a business here. I understand that the red tape is horrible. You will find lots of good advice and some not-so-good advice on this forum. We are helpful when we can, but keep in mind that many of us have seen enough expats crash and burn here that we tend to be straightforward.

With that, I wish you well and promise to be as helpful as I can.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Perhaps you are speaking about Canadian taxes, but for the DR tourist visa, you are only allowed a 30 day stay.

To the OP, your situation will depend on the country from which you are coming and if you or your spouse is a Dominican citizen.

Some airlines will allow you to purchase refundable tickets, but there are rules about how the money can be refunded. It depends on the airline and the country from which you are emigrating.

Bringing the dog in is easy, provided you have a health certificate. You can bring a dog with only a tourist visa.

The 30 days visa you can extended to 90 days, and if you stay over 90 days at the moment of your departure you will have to pay taxes to inmigration department, I have cousins that they wasborn in USA, came and stayed over a year and they had to pay taxes before let them to board the plane.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The 30 days visa you can extended to 90 days, and if you stay over 90 days at the moment of your departure you will have to pay taxes to inmigration department, I have cousins that they wasborn in USA, came and stayed over a year and they had to pay taxes before let them to board the plane.

It's called an overstay fine, not "Taxes".

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
We started all of our residency papers with the nearest consulate before we moved down last year. We are still waiting on our residency after filling out the paperwork over a year ago (time moves very slowly on the island). My wife and kids were here for 6 months and just paid the overstay fee when they left with no problems at all. Our temporary residency stamp that they put in our passports of course expired.

Best of luck to you and if you call the local consulate like we did they can expedite your process for you. We managed to do ours in about 4 weeks time span and got our papers and stamps back about 2 days before we flew out.

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
Hello, thank you for taking the time to give me much advice! We will in fact be back and forth from the US for business regularly and able to start the process later, but my husband's company will be buying future flights, which is why we only want to purchase one way. We researched the process, talked to the consulate in Chicago, but decided to wait to start the process, despite it not being the proper way. I started this post looking for un-forseen angles or snags, and to hear the wisdom from the road already traveled- you all are awesome. :) We have things ready to ship once we decide 100% to stay, and have heard that once residency is established we can ship one load of stuff tax free? We are leasing with contract an already established DR business, with option to buy, hopefully that doesn't turn into a sticky situation! We have found the same with flights, 12 75lbs bags for free first class versus 18 50 lbs bags coach paid equals only $200 more for the whole family to business! I was glad to hear someone say that with the appropriate documents our dog shouldn't be an issue. I appreciate your honesty, I also have my reservations, and hope there is no crashing and definitely no burning! Namaste

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello, thank you for taking the time to give me much advice! We will in fact be back and forth from the US for business regularly and able to start the process later, but my husband's company will be buying future flights, which is why we only want to purchase one way. We researched the process, talked to the consulate in Chicago, but decided to wait to start the process, despite it not being the proper way. I started this post looking for un-forseen angles or snags, and to hear the wisdom from the road already traveled- you all are awesome. :) We have things ready to ship once we decide 100% to stay, and have heard that once residency is established we can ship one load of stuff tax free? We are leasing with contract an already established DR business, with option to buy, hopefully that doesn't turn into a sticky situation! We have found the same with flights, 12 75lbs bags for free first class versus 18 50 lbs bags coach paid equals only $200 more for the whole family to business! I was glad to hear someone say that with the appropriate documents our dog shouldn't be an issue. I appreciate your honesty, I also have my reservations, and hope there is no crashing and definitely no burning! Namaste

Depending on the amount paid for the business in the DR you can speed up the permanent residency a whole lot.

Are you doing all the paperwork without a lawyer?

The following applicants may apply immediately for permanent residency status without having to previously obtain temporary residency status:

1) Investors of at least 200,000 USD in local businesses (including free zones and government contracts) or in local financial instruments.

2) Retirees with a monthly pension of at least 1,500 USD (plus 250 USD per dependent).

3) Applicants with monthly income of at least 2,000 USD for five years or more (rentistas).

4) Applicants related to Dominicans or to foreigners with permanent residency status in DR (spouses and children).

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
We have a lawyer in puerto plata that did our contract for the property we are leasing that does residency, probably we will use him. Thank you for the info! Honestly, we are being lazy by not doing it ahead of time, and want to be sure we can hack it in what I consider the tropical version of the Wild West!

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Overstays will be about $50 I think for 6 months stay so if you don't have the paperwork ahead of time it will be ok. Double check those one way tickets I had to show proof of a return one time in Denver that I was indeed flying back or they would not let me board. And yes the business class when flying down on AA is the only way to go unless you depart out of a regional airport. My wife found that out yesterday and had to pay for a 3rd bag! The teller in Miami told her though that the previous AA employee screwed up since it was international travel.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Okay, I feel much better about your situation now. From your previous post, I envisioned a couple of dreamers throwing caution to the wind, coming to purchase some property and establish a business. That was a disaster waiting to happen, and it has occurred too many times. Instead, you have an established company backing you and you are taking over an already existing business. It won't be easy, but I think you know that, and you are in a good position.

The airline company may ask about return tickets. If you explain your situation, then the agent might let you get by. If bad comes to worse, purchase refundable tickets and then refund them the next time you are in the states. American Airlines usually insists that refunds be made in the US.

I'd be curious if there are any other folks in the country who home school their children. They would be good for you to contact for support.

You might also consider eventually enrolling your children in the local school so that they can make friends and learn Spanish. Though the situation is quickly changing, school is only four hours per day, and you will definitely want to supplement their education by home schooling.

Your kids are fortunate that they get this wonderful opportunity. I wish you all well.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
ANOTHER. Word of caution ! Not all lawyers are Equal Make sure if you are using a lawyer for residency that you have good reports from people here in the dr ! Using just any lawyer is a BIG MISTAKE!

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
Thanks Arrugala, the lawyer was recommended by a friend. My original question mostly remains regarding potential hassles with customs with having a one way ticket. From reading other posts on the topic it sounds like the airline might actually be the one to give us a hard time? I'm sure you DR1 veterans get sick of newbie asking the same questions OVER and over, so thanks in advance do any advice! We will be flying Delta from the US.