buying tires for a pathfinder in the Dr

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Does anyone know how much 225/235 r75 15 rim diameter would cost new or used? Would it pay to bring them down at $50 each. tks for your info

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
A tire of that size should be between 10k and 15k RD$ each, depending on brand.

Shipping tires is expensive. I had to order one earlier this year, 225/55/r16 and had to pay almost us$100 in shipment (28 pounds). But I had no choice since it could not be found locally. Adding the original cost, I paid almost $400 for a single tire.
Of course, you can negotiate with your carrier to get a cheaper rate if you're shipping 4 tires.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
A tire of that size should be between 10k and 15k RD$ each, depending on brand.

Shipping tires is expensive. I had to order one earlier this year, 225/55/r16 and had to pay almost us$100 in shipment (28 pounds). But I had no choice since it could not be found locally. Adding the original cost, I paid almost $400 for a single tire.
Of course, you can negotiate with your carrier to get a cheaper rate if you're shipping 4 tires.

thanks that is very helpful

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Like most other things - the RD quality is different.

My choice is to import - mudanza style - from Tire Rack or some other such vendor..... better quality and selection.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Reading this thread quickly I thought you were BURNING TYRE for a PATHFINER! Wow - has the Gringo Huelga already started!!
Sorry did not want to Hihjack the thread but we always get our tyres from Davids near Sosua.

Olly and the Team

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I always bought used for my montero. 2500 pesos each. Looked almost new but they don't last more than one and a half or two years

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
PriceSmart has a very large selection of good tires, Firestone, Bridgestone, Kuhmo, Goodyear, Pirelli, Dunlop, Falken and a few "off" brands.

We bought a set of rugged Kuhmo's that now have 25,000 on them and still over half the tread left. No problems except for a couple of nail punctures.

PLUS they give lifetime balancing & rotation. We've taken advantage twice now when we make a PS run...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK, I hear you....

Nails --- last visit of 6 weeks gave me 3 punctures on 2 different cars.... clavito was the word if I remember...

Tire life is the issue for me.... I may try Pricesmart.... 2 1/2 hrs for me.... tricky, with my wheelchair:dead:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I have a Toyota hilux surf which is the same as a 4 runner only it's a diesal, I bought my tires at pricesmart (kumo) 3 yrs ago for $ 150.00 each.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Like most other things - the RD quality is different.

My choice is to import - mudanza style - from Tire Rack or some other such vendor..... better quality and selection.

WW, the tire I ordered was from Tirerack.com, however I was wondering how you can make it work with a mudanza style kind of shipping. How did you do it? I will soon have to buy the other 3 tires and as I said I have no other choice but to order them as they are not available in DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I too recommend PriceSmart. If they were not in Santiago, I would probably use a door to door shipper.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
$150.00 each is about the right price for a new radial tire of good quality. It doesn't pay to buy junk. Tires take a beating here and it is the only thing between you and road.

LTSteve

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
$150.00 each is about the right price for a new radial tire of good quality. It doesn't pay to buy junk. Tires take a beating here and it is the only thing between you and road.

LTSteve
I think we paid RD$24,000 for our set of Kuhmo's. Fine tires.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW, the tire I ordered was from Tirerack.com, however I was wondering how you can make it work with a mudanza style kind of shipping. How did you do it? I will soon have to buy the other 3 tires and as I said I have no other choice but to order them as they are not available in DR.

Oftentimes, Tire Rack has free shipping - so ship to the mudanza of choice and they come C.O.D.
Tire Rack will even mount them on rims if you want to do the whole wheel thing

Sorry - pay for the tires w/ CC and the shipping is COD

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Oftentimes, Tire Rack has free shipping - so ship to the mudanza of choice and they come C.O.D.
Tire Rack will even mount them on rims if you want to do the whole wheel thing

Sorry - pay for the tires w/ CC and the shipping is COD

Yes, that's how I did it before, but using my regular courier, which charged me about us$100 from MIA to SD. I thought the mudanza companies required a physical address for them to pick up the stuff, I didn't know they could receive packages sent by, in this case, tirerack. It's good to know.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right, just send them the stuff - you'reonfile w/ your name , phone, etc and it goes from there.

I have said before - I did it w/ a lawnmower from Lowe's/Home Depot- free ship to Awilda

poof !! at my RD door in 3 weeks... 81lbs and $110, if I recall correctly

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Castle,

Awilda , and the others have offices in Santiago.... you could go there and set everything up... like opening an account.

Really good service..... very customer friendly.

They broke a copper tube on the back of my 'fridge once...
No problema , we'll be back tomorrow w/ it fixed...... and they were

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Castle,

Awilda , and the others have offices in Santiago.... you could go there and set everything up... like opening an account.

Really good service..... very customer friendly.

Thanks, WW. I do live in SD, but I guess I could make the trip to Santiago if need be.