I don't like this country anymore, specially Sosua!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElAlien

Mar 10, 2013
:alien:I have been here since 2008. The first 2 years, I loved the Dominican Republic. I enjoyed the music, it's people and its beaches. Now, I can't wait to leave after a few days been in the country.
Most of the locals are always trying to hassle you for money. This gets tiring after a few days. Then, dealing with hoes makes you lose site on how to treat a real woman and be normal. Also, I'm tired to see nasty old men with very young women, or young teenagers. Gas is very expensive and the prices just keep on going up every other week. Dominicans are too noisy. Many drive their cars with loud music playing at all times of the day. What is worst is the killing of expatriates across the island. Provably these last months have been the worst for expats with regards to violent crimes. Then, 80% of the new HIV infections of Latino America are in the Dominican Republic. I can keep on going on and going...I no longer like this country and especially Sosua.
:dead:

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
So is this goodbye? When are you leaving? I'm not being sarcastic, just asking.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This is hilarious. All, except the killing part. ElAlien describes the RD perfectly. I love it. Stay long enough, though, they will clean all this &^%% up. There is so much money to be made here - that will eventually carry the day. I hope I am not here long enough to see it, though. I love this place. I guess if you want it to be like where you came from, though, it might be shocking. I hear Belize is nice.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I guess I just try to avoid the places I don't like and enjoy the heck out of the ones I do. And in the end, the beach cures all (for me anyway).

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
:alien:I have been here since 2008. The first 2 years, I loved the Dominican Republic. I enjoyed the music, it's people and its beaches. Now, I can't wait to leave after a few days been in the country.
Most of the locals are always trying to hassle you for money. This gets tiring after a few days. Then, dealing with hoes makes you lose site on how to treat a real woman and be normal. Also, I'm tired to see nasty old men with very young women, or young teenagers. Gas is very expensive and the prices just keep on going up every other week. Dominicans are too noisy. Many drive their cars with loud music playing at all times of the day. What is worst is the killing of expatriates across the island. Provably these last months have been the worst for expats with regards to violent crimes. Then, 80% of the new HIV infections of Latino America are in the Dominican Republic. I can keep on going on and going...I no longer like this country and especially Sosua.

What part of the country are you in if you do not mind asking? I can switch and you can take my desk job in NYC if you want and I will save you we can switch for a few months :) i do not want to see you suffering in a tropical island in the Caribbean full of pretty beaches palm tress hot women and good food and music.

Then you have two choices the way i see it- One, you can live in another place of this country., Two, you can go home again. There is nothing wrong with that.
(Yes there is probably 6000.000 choices, i just try to keep it simple.)

Like we have said a trillion times before: Republica Dominicana are not for everyone. After the "touristfeeling" is over- then you must sink or swim.

I hope you will be happy, no matter what you choose to to.

Maybe Sosua isn't the best place to live then.... I don't come across most of what you say...
Violence happens everywhere and you don't get cut up into many pieces unless you have done something BAD!
Still have not seen any violence here.
While I was gone on Vacay apparently there were gun shots near by and the whole Village (50-100 dominicans) came to see if my wife was ok.

I don't agree that the DR is as bad as what most say on here!

I

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Is life here difficult at times, YES..but it is like this many places. I too at times have said enough is enough but then I realize that not all the grass is greener on the other side. Crime everywhere is on the upswing as well as prices. If I leave here it is for something better not because of a momentary "crisis". Life here has its good moments and bad moments, right now for me the good outweighs the bad..for now...

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
:alien:I have been here since 2008. The first 2 years, I loved the Dominican Republic. I enjoyed the music, it's people and its beaches. Now, I can't wait to leave after a few days been in the country. I can keep on going on and going.............

:alien:Dear alien,
Yes you must keep on going to another galaxy far far away and spend your galactic credits there.
May you find happiness......:alien:

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I tend to agree with the sentiment concerning Sosua. I started going in 2007, and noticed a progressive change for the worse. That started about 2010 for me. My last couple of trips, the negative started outweighing the positive.

I spent a lot of time in the DR, compared with your average tourist. 14 trips, most that were 30 days or longer.

Some have questioned why I still have an interest in the DR if I spend my vacations somewhere else now. Well, I do still have friends that live there.

I long for the days where it wasn't so much of an aggravation to spend an extended period of time there.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
To my opinion, the recent increase of crimes is the main issue. And I think it is linked to the increase of prices on basic goods...
Increasing the itbis on rice, spaghs, oils... was a very bad idea. Politicians should definitively have thought about some consequences which to my opinion will have some very negative side effects...

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
well, I guess the issue here is how attractive is RD for foreigners?
If it decreases... they will leave...

DieselFuel

Jan 15, 2013
Is life here difficult at times, YES..but it is like this many places. I too at times have said enough is enough but then I realize that not all the grass is greener on the other side. Crime everywhere is on the upswing as well as prices. If I leave here it is for something better not because of a momentary "crisis". Life here has its good moments and bad moments, right now for me the good outweighs the bad..for now...

Crime is down in NYC 20% year over year. 280 murders last year compared to 212 this year (1500 in 1990). So I don't think crime is on the upswing everywhere. From what I have been reading lately, I believe crime is on the rise on the North Coast.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
just for the record there is a natural dip in the relocation process when the honeymoon is over

and life in a very small beach town.. is .. well

life in a very small beach town..

why not get on a bus and take a vacation to the South west? well maybe not in August

but then to the mountains?

you need a holiday from your holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.