Fighting Dengue In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Mayor Ilana Neumann ordered to use Insecticides extensively to combat the mosquito that spreads dengue. The spray team is doing it's job in the neighborhoods and hamlets Sos?a Abajo, Karen Villa, Los Castillos and Villa Para?so. It's a precaution, because so far there are only a very few known cases of dengue infections in these neighborhoods. Furthermore, leaflets have been distributed with information how to prevent mosquito bites, thus preventing dengue.

The mosquito bites at daytime and this can be prevented with a simple mosquito spray that also works against the common mosquito. In addition, the mayor also ordered the construction of street lighting in the neighborhoods Camino Llibre, La Uni?n and Cangrejos. Furthermore, the sidewalks in the district Cangrejos been finished and also the pot holes in the roads have been filled with tarmac.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The spray kills the mosquitos and their eggs, so it is affective. Any good mosquito spray lasts much longer than 10 minutes. Gotta have deet!

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
"DEET can damage Spandex, rayon, acetate, waterproof coatings and the plastic in sunglasses "so dont wear spandex.

" put your socks up over pant legs."- very long socks for English pants lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
these are some good measures. i hope the leaflets are illustrated for the benefit of those illiterate. education and knowledge are very important in reducing dengue cases: closing water tanks, tinacos and cisterns, taking care there is no rubbish around where water may gather and mosquitoes will breed.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I try to avoid walking around in the late evening in just my speedo and small flip flops, the hair on my back only gives me so much protection.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken, DV8 , Seamonky et al,

I know of at least ten cases amonsgt Expats in the last 3 weeks centered around Sosua. Some needed three or four days in CMC and others toughed it out -but in doing so they could well have spread it to others. DV8 will probably correct me but the particular Mosquito does not live for more than two weeks and has to bit someone in the "fever" stage of Dengue to be able to transmitt it to the next person it bites.
It is not nice and a very dibilitating illness.
This is a real problem so do not dismiss it!
Olly and the Team

I usually place tablets de chloro where i know we have water and sometimes humid conditions. The tablets are the ones for the pool. They last for a long time.

Less mosquitos here now after i started with this little private experiment of mine.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Tambo and Paul,
You studs are probably providing the source for mosquitoes to pass it on to others. It's not macho its stupid! and yes Paul it is not contageous but it is passed on by mosqitoes.
One problem is those people who own property with swimming pools and only come for a short while - a holiday home - and try to save money by keeping the pools empty. With the rain here there is usually two to three inches of water in the bottom of the pool and it breeds mosquitoes. Once the right sort of mosquitoe is around then all it needs is someone with Dengue to be bitten to start the spread of this illness.

Olly and the Team

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dengue is, in a way, contagious from one person to the other. that is, like olly said, if mosquito bites a sick person it will spread dengue further. this mosquito remains contagious for the rest of his life, which may be few weeks.

also, in a way, pauleast is correct that dengue is like a long lasting hangover, this is mild form of dengue. however, if you start to vomit a lot or vomit blood; if you have strong stomach pains; if you have black poo; if you are very drowsy - you should immediately seek medical attention. remember that dengue can kill you. 57 people died from it so far this year.

we all know about not leaving any water containers outside. but the eggs can survive even if you empty the container. so i suggest that if you have a dog water bowl outside, like us, wash it every other day, inside and outside. with cloro or even mistolin. those little buggers are very persistent and they adapt very fast.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Tambo and Paul,
You studs are probably providing the source for mosquitoes to pass it on to others. It's not macho its stupid! and yes Paul it is not contageous but it is passed on by mosqitoes.
One problem is those people who own property with swimming pools and only come for a short while - a holiday home - and try to save money by keeping the pools empty. With the rain here there is usually two to three inches of water in the bottom of the pool and it breeds mosquitoes. Once the right sort of mosquitoe is around then all it needs is someone with Dengue to be bitten to start the spread of this illness.

Olly and the Team

What are you talking about ? If you are infected you are a host. It makes no difference where you convalesce at home or in a hospital. Actually its best to stay at home. Most healthy adults will recover at home w/o complications. The only thing that is "stupid" is your assumptions. Dengue is absolutely not contagious from person to person therefore no care giver should be alarmed. I suppose if one mosquito made it into my air conditioned home fed on the host (me) than went into another room and found my housekeeper and fed on her she would be at risk. Highly unlikely. She would be much more at risk walking home in the evening.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
olly is correct, mosquitoes transfer dengue from person to person but this is not immediate:

Dengue is transmitted between people by the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus, which are found throughout the world. Insects that transmit disease are vectors. Symptoms of infection usually begin 4 - 7 days after the mosquito bite and typically last 3 - 10 days. In order for transmission to occur the mosquito must feed on a person during a 5- day period when large amounts of virus are in the blood; this period usually begins a little before the person become symptomatic. Some people never have significant symptoms but can still infect mosquitoes. After entering the mosquito in the blood meal, the virus will require an additional 8-12 days incubation before it can then be transmitted to another human. The mosquito remains infected for the remainder of its life, which might be days or a few weeks.

more info on epidemiology, treatment and prevention can be found here:
CDC - Epidemiology - Dengue

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One problem is those people who own property with swimming pools and only come for a short while - a holiday home - and try to save money by keeping the pools empty. With the rain here there is usually two to three inches of water in the bottom of the pool and it breeds mosquitoes.

My neighbour has a pool that's full but green. Is that equally dangerous?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My neighbour has a pool that's full but green. Is that equally dangerous?

yes, in terms of mosquitoes, at least, because i understand it is not so good to leave the pool empty and dry for long periods of time. anyways, the water needs to be treated. normal pool has lots of chemicals inside including cloro and this stuff for algae. well maintained pool should not not be at danger to become breeding ground.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tambo, a stud like you treats Dengue the same way I would, like a Sosua hangover. Lots of Gator-aide , aspirin and mucho sleep.

Listen boys - listen to a Dengue veteran - it ain't no hangover if you get the advanced case..... knee buckling sh!t is what it is.... headache beyond tolerance, can't comb your hair (if you have any)

Whoever said stay at home is foolish - iwas getting 3-4 bags of saline a day.... that guava juice was useless (said my SD doctor - a 4 time Dengue victim)

The mosquito bites a Dengue patient and gets infected - then bites another.... thats how it spreads between people

there are HUGE threads on this - why rehash it here????

Bunty Miller

Aug 26, 2013
Wear something diaphanous that floats away from the body, the movement will keep mosquitoes away, try to move your hips around when walking through the bush