Sosua Beach getting a facelift???

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Perhaps they should start with the BIGGER task of cleaning up the river that dumps into Sosua bay and has killed the reef and fishing in the area. I would not swim anywhere NEAR Sosua beach. I see and smell the crap, for real, after every heavy rain that comes out of the bay from the river.

This guy does not have a clue other then how to dream, and he dreams BIG and fill his friends and own pockets.

IMO... this is big trouble unless you got big $billions. So he went to Hawaii once and wants the D.R. to be like that? No thank you.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It is one huge project, but maybe (just maybe) they have designed everything into it. They do mention health solutions, so it could be they are addressing sewage waste/river/ etc. The place does stink after a rain.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
It is one huge project, but maybe (just maybe) they have designed everything into it. They do mention health solutions, so it could be they are addressing sewage waste/river/ etc. The place does stink after a rain.

Designing is easy. Making it work? Getting everyone near the river and on the beach... on the new road to the beach, new bridges, NEW HUGE infrastructure... changing a whole landscape and way of living and thinking of thousands... fishing fleet gone and the charm of the beach turned into expensive Hawaii.

The cruise lines will only develop what they need and get a cut from but demand that the area cater to them at the costs of others.

Just maybe.... someone should pay the electric bill first.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Perhaps they should start with the BIGGER task of cleaning up the river that dumps into Sosua bay and has killed the reef and fishing in the area. I would not swim anywhere NEAR Sosua beach. I see and smell the crap, for real, after every heavy rain that comes out of the bay from the river.

This guy does not have a clue other then how to dream, and he dreams BIG and fill his friends and own pockets.

IMO... this is big trouble unless you got big $billions. So he went to Hawaii once and wants the D.R. to be like that? No thank you.

OMG Ringo, do you have nothing positive to say about Sosua??? The reef is not dead, there are plenty of fish there. People, including myself go swimming in that water all the time. The water is super clear and I have NEVER stepped or seen garbage where we go...which is at Pappa's location. The most I've seen are a few plastic cups and bottles of water. The beach is sweped each morning.

When was the last time you went to Sosua beach? It smells like sea water and nothing else.

Seriously dude you are jaded and it's time for you to go back to your country.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OMG Ringo, do you have nothing positive to say about Sosua??? The reef is not dead, there are plenty of fish there. People, including myself go swimming in that water all the time. The water is super clear and I have NEVER stepped or seen garbage where we go...which is at Pappa's location. The most I've seen is a few plastic cups and bottles of water. The beach is sweped each morning.

When was the last time you went to Sosua beach? It smells like sea water and nothing else.

Seriously dude you are jaded and it's time for you to go back to your country.

Not jaded. I can see and do see. I can smell it. After every hard rain I see the pollution from the rivers changing the color of the ocean. Other groups have firm evidence (don't have that on hand now) concerning the pollution from the river. Sousa reef has been dead for a long time. Take a dive boat and experience a healthy reef. The fishing fleet goes out further and further to get a days catch. I see them going out over the years. I talk with the locals that dive off our area, "the water is dirty and not many fish." I see them with only a couple of small fish after several hours in the water.

So Seriously DUDE. Do you really know how things have changed in the last shot 15 years? Seriously....... dude.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Google, images: dead coral reef. Then Google, images: live coral reef.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Turismo

Is this for real this time, the owners of the land behind the beach, The Pastoriza Family have agreed to donate land to facilitate development.

Realizar?n plaza y parqueos organizar playa de Sos?a | periodicoelfaro.com.do

Tourism Director Announces New Plaza For Vendors of Sosua Beach

People in power are out to make money, as expected so let them invest.
"Un proyecto tur?stico inmobiliario, que incluye un proyecto residencial, un proyecto de villas y un hotel cinco estrella."
The anchor to be real estate and cruise ship passengers.
Two plazas and parking to sell trinkets to tourists.
The beach is the real destination, people want to swim, eat and drink on the beach.
At the moment it's comfy with a lot of shade. This won't be the first place where the simple charm has been destroyed. Mismaloya, Zihuatanejo, Playa Del Carmen, Ko Phi Phi, Ko Samui just to name a few.
It's hard to keep away from "progress" and all the same tourism.
The focus should be on sewage treatment, reliable electricity, drinking water, real law and order.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
With all the talk about nothing but business ladies all over Sosua, I find the beach there to be usually peaceful, clean and attractive every time i am there.. great views of hills. Much nicer than say boca chica.

Last edited:

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Ringo,

I dive in Sosua every week. The reef is in the best shape it's been in , in the last 5 years and continues to get better. Feel free to join me for a dive if you wish. Yep, it's not in the same shape as Curacao, BUT, it is getting better, and marine life is increasing EVERY year.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Flying Fish?

Thinking about things and sometimes things just start coming back to you.

We are outside of Sosua bay and have had a large amount of people setting nets in our area this last month. The nets have a rock to keep them in place and a clorox type bottle to keep the net to the surface. They set them very early and come back late. The trapped fish are small and no one appears to get a large amount.

Someone told me that they are catching Flying Fish.

I pondered this for some time and only tonight did I connect a couple of dots.

Over a decade ago my wife and I would sit in the evenings after dark and see the lights of the city of POP. At certain times of the year, like now, we would see dozens of boats with lights on them between our place and POP that would attract the Flying Fish.

Tonight, a night just like a decade ago, I see ONE boat with a light. He is a least 3 miles out to sea... and all alone.
----

We knew the owner of one of the dive shops and he sold. "No tourist and the fish have left the reef." From Sousa beach to the bay reef is .17 miles. Easy swim and the bright fishes would come out and in masses if you had a banana... 15 years ago. The fish stay around a dead reef for some time. 8 years ago, a dozen fish? We learned and never got in the water again.

Going back to the dive guy. They boat out to a reef 2.7 miles out of Sosua Bay to have a good dive on a living reef. Going back to what he said and what the new owners say.... It's hard to get tourist and ... harder seeing the reef dying.

Pollution does not just come from the river that enters Sousa Bay, it comes from other projects to the east also. It is very easy and obvious to see the currents that move the pollution in very distinct lines in the ocean.

I hope that the one lonely fisherman can catch something tonight. It's dark and if you have ever been to sea alone.. then you know how alone you are.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Ringo, just a question?

What are you doing to improve the health of the reef?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo, just a question?

What are you doing to improve the health of the reef?

I'm sorry to say.... not much. I've worked with and supported Somonca (sp) in the past but lost touch with Gerry and Milo over the years. Being a gringo, not much I can do as an individual and no one really wants to see or admit that their is a problem. I've moved my battles over the years to, just ONE person that I might be able to make a difference.

Support and help a few old friends here and their. Perhaps just get a little uppity and post what I have experienced to challenge what they just saw and have no history of what was compared to what they think is great.

I think that I'll go back to my one on one efforts. :)

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
I'm a gringo as well, but, I have Dominicans asking me after almost every dive "what is the health of our reef?" I have photos, my photos, of the reefs 5 years ago and as recent as this week. HUGE improvement. WAYYYYY less garbage now on the reefs, way more marine life.

I want to organize a reef clean-up dive and also create another artificial reef here. Yep, I know it's a big project but I have the time.

We should meet and talk

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Perhaps start another thread on reef health folks, pics before and after!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm a gringo as well, but, I have Dominicans asking me after almost every dive "what is the health of our reef?" I have photos, my photos, of the reefs 5 years ago and as recent as this week. HUGE improvement. WAYYYYY less garbage now on the reefs, way more marine life.

I want to organize a reef clean-up dive and also create another artificial reef here. Yep, I know it's a big project but I have the time.

We should meet and talk

I have heard that some areas have made an effort and that some understand the importance.

May I suggest that you start a NEW thread about the project that you are involved with. All the details and please.... photos.

And thank you for ..... doing.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
A plan is, and has been decided and agreed upon by the gov't., vendor's unions, taxis and the rest, for Sosua beach.
At least that's what the "news" papers say. Could be all spin.
Love it or hate it. Sounds good on paper, with 2 complexes, employing 250 casetas, centralized, and controlled.
They say they have a total consensus. That in itself would be very rare.
If it will happen? WTFK

Francisco Javier Garcia may very well be the next President....he's already announced.
He has a lot of support, deserved or not. He's banking heavily on the success of the Maimon
cruise ship thing and the 4-way road to Navarette (which depends on the port success and vice versa).

But with the PRD in-fighting, it's hard to see PRD gaining support without some huge concession that
would likely end in disappointment.