Decisions decisons

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I find myself in between jobs and the opportunity to travel for a few days or maybe a week. The sale with jetBlue is motivating me to consider the DR. This time, it would be by myself, no familial or other obligations. However, I find myself totally incapable of making a decision where to go. When I go to the DR, I generally stay in or around Santo Domingo and that's the last place I want to go this time. While I've been to most of the larger towns, it's been a while.

I am mostly looking for a relaxing time where I can hang around the hotel or beach and read or simply turn off my brain. However, I don't want to be totally unsociable. I definitely don't want an AI. I am not a party person (maybe I should go to the North Pole) and only drink socially. Perhaps some, uh, gentlemanly things to do on occasion would be nice, though I assure you, this isn't one of THOSE trips. So, I was thinking Puerto Plata or Sosua. Is it difficult to have a quiet time in Sosua and not get molested by females every other second? Or do my thoughts from a visit years ago still hold - it's a sewer?

Any suggestions for a locale and hotel and anything else appreciated. I'll spend up to about $100 for a hotel.

Thanks.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
You can stay in Sosua and have alone time. Look on home away dot com for a nice condo. Then you can party as much or as little as you see fit. Have a safe trip.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A couple of years ago I stayed at Sosua by the Sea hotel. It was quiet (most of the guests then were Christian missionaries who were out saving the DR people all day) and calming, with reasonable food in a lovely restaurant overlooking the sea. Reasonably priced too. If you want to go out and have some fun, all that Sosua has to offer is there, although you can't bring a "guest" back to your room. Have a look on Tripadvisor.

Failing that, why not check out hotels in Cabarete?

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I think an apartment in Sosua (or Cabarete) sounds like my best option. I'm not crazy about homeaway dot com and there was just an article in the NYT about a reporter who tried something like 9 rentals in NYC for the article. He didn't have much good to say. There are places listed in tripadvisor, but knowing next to nothing about the area, it's difficult. It would be great if someone could recommend a place.

As for Sosua by the Sea, I dunno, but I'll keep my options open.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Samana Peninsula = Jet Blue to AZS but only Saturday flights
Beach right across from the hotel - quiet but not too quiet
A bit of $$$ for a taxi

Rio san Juan = really quiet + need transportation

Sos/Cab = no car needed

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
@ Gas,
In sosua you can't go wrong with a condo in Infinite Blue or The Garden Condos. I.B is on its own beach and is very quiet. T.G.C. is 300ft inland from I.B. and you can use the same beach. You won't need a car in Sosua or Caberate. If you don't feel comfortable with home away then go to the real estate agencies. They rent condos as well. Hope this helps. If not p.m. me.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Thanks to drescape, I emailed the manager at Garden Condos. I also found a flipkey rental available at Garden Condos on the internet and emailed the owner. One of the beefs that the NYT article had with such places like flipkey and homeaway is that the response rate was horrible - very often there was no response - and that the owner can change his mind at the last second and there's no recourse. That is why I'd prefer to deal directly with a management or realty company. I'm still looking, so if anyone has further suggestions, I'm all ears. The deadline for discounted airline reservations is tomorrow so I certainly need to decide between Sosua/Puerto Plata and Samana, though it appears I'll be booking a flight to POP. Thanks to everyone ... so far.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Punta Cana can be nice and it is slow season right now you can rent a bachelor apartment for $51 a night about 300 meters from the beach located in a small shopping plaza in los corales, I always rent through reliable Realty and their site has these places available. reliablerealtydr.com, remember I am no expert I only come down for three months a year but Todd and Maria are good honest folks and easy to deal with.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I find myself in between jobs and the opportunity to travel for a few days or maybe a week. The sale with jetBlue is motivating me to consider the DR. This time, it would be by myself, no familial or other obligations. However, I find myself totally incapable of making a decision where to go. When I go to the DR, I generally stay in or around Santo Domingo and that's the last place I want to go this time. While I've been to most of the larger towns, it's been a while.

I am mostly looking for a relaxing time where I can hang around the hotel or beach and read or simply turn off my brain. However, I don't want to be totally unsociable. I definitely don't want an AI. I am not a party person (maybe I should go to the North Pole) and only drink socially. Perhaps some, uh, gentlemanly things to do on occasion would be nice, though I assure you, this isn't one of THOSE trips. So, I was thinking Puerto Plata or Sosua. Is it difficult to have a quiet time in Sosua and not get molested by females every other second? Or do my thoughts from a visit years ago still hold - it's a sewer?

Any suggestions for a locale and hotel and anything else appreciated. I'll spend up to about $100 for a hotel.

Thanks.

Try Cabarete

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Thanks everyone. I'd love to do everything suggested and hopefully, in my lifetime I'll have that chance. Meanwhile, I chose to stay in a condo in Sosua.