Stray Cattle Must Be Registered In Sosua; Owners To Be Held Responsible

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Recently, Mayor Ilana Neumann had a meeting with about 20 stray cattle owners at City Hall of Sos?a. There are horses, cows, donkeys and pigs walking the streets of Sos?a and are a danger to traffic. Several times mopeds and cars collided with suddenly crossing cattle, often with a lot of damage, but also serious injuries to drivers and livestock. Once even fatal for the driver.

The meeting was also attended by representatives of the National Police, fire department, traffic police and aldermen. In the meeting everybody was given the chance to speak out. It was decided that henceforth all cattle must be registered and bear the name and address of the owner. In emergencies the owners can therefore be held liable. Unregistered animals will be removed by the fire department.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is a very good idea and should be applied to any large animals that are left to roam the roads and potentially cause major accidents. Horses are a "big" problem as well.

Last edited:

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
From today's Sosua News:

Unregistered animals will be removed by the fire department.

WOW, I didn't know we had a fire department in Sosua!
Maybe they mean they'll use the fire guys from the airport to round-up the stray animals! :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I hope this catches on. Where we live the animals all roam free, and they wander onto our finca to eat the grass - and sometimes the newly planted trees too. We've actually had sections of the barbed wire at the rear of the property cut, so they can let their cows graze. The law isn't much help, the last cow we tied up ended up belonging to the mayor.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hope this catches on. Where we live the animals all roam free, and they wander onto our finca to eat the grass - and sometimes the newly planted trees too. We've actually had sections of the barbed wire at the rear of the property cut, so they can let their cows graze. The law isn't much help, the last cow we tied up ended up belonging to the mayor.

And for that very reason, expect nothing like this in your location!

But keep this in mind: I think Sosua just might have jurisdiction over this problem even in Cabarete since the Sosua Fire Department is responsible for Cabarete. Just I thought that I hope will help.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Quite a few times I was driving in Sosua and encountered cattle in the streets. One day I was walking on Sosua beach and I saw a dead cow that had some how crash landed into one of those beach stalls.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It only makes sense. First the two legged cattle on Pedro Clisante, now the four legged animals everywhere else.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Just wonder how many stray cows there would be if the stray cows could be impaled on the spits of the owners of lands they violate without recourse for the animal owners.

Regards,

PJT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just wonder how many stray cows there would be if the stray cows could be impaled on the spits of the owners of lands they violate without recourse for the animal owners.

Regards,

PJT

Exactly what Mr. AE threatened the last offender.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
It only makes sense. First the two legged cattle on Pedro Clisante, now the four legged animals everywhere else.

You noticed that too. The last time I drove over to Sosua, there did seem to be a lot of bovine walking around P.C

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it's amazing how when someone crashes into one of them poor cows they always seem to be feral and they belong to no one. but try to generously offer it a brief shelter prior to bbq feast and you'll have five different owners, each charging you as if it was the best kobe beef on earth.