renting a car/suv in Puerto Plata and maps

B

bryan

Hello,

I was wondering where the best place to rent a car would be. Should I rent at the airport or is there better places in town. Also do they rent convertibles or SUVs.

Where can I buy street maps of Puerto Plata,Sosua,Santiago,Cabarete

Thanks,
Bryan

J

Jerry

I've had great luck renting from National at the Puerto Plata airport, on over ten trips. Ask for Christian. No nonsense or tricks, cars in good condition and no surprises. They can fix you up with maps too.

M

Marc

Sounds like Jerry has had some good luck, nothing is more valuable than first hand experience.

One word of caution is around the insurance. They all (pretty much all) have insurance included, however the deductible varies. Some places we have looked at have deductibles of $2500USD. OUCH!

When we go into the mountains we rent a tracker soft top from Formula One in Sosua on Pedro Clisante. They are $650RD/day there and a deductible of $5000RD. The crappy thing about a soft top is that anyone that wants to can get into it...so you can't leave anything in it...just like anywhere else in the world I suppose.

Good luck, and congrats on the idea of renting a car. It is the best way to see the north coast if you ask me.

marc