The real Dominican

P

P.M.

Hello all! Our 6th visit to the DR will be on Nov. 3rd. of this year. After having read and posted here in the DR1 forum for quite some time we would really like to visit the real DR, outside of the resorts. We will be at the Iberostar in Puerta Plata and was hoping that maybe there was a benevolent English speaking resident that would like to show us the real DR. We really love it there but would also love to see what real Dominican life is like. Thank-you in advance.

K

KenDP

Why not get out and walk the streets, visit the shops, get a beer or soda in a Dominican, not tourist, bar; communicate as best you can. Puerto Plata isn't true Dominican Republic because of strong tourist influence over the years, but by avoiding the tourists shops and going where Dominicans go, you can get a much better idea, just as I wouldn't in a large city in the US if I didn't know the neighborhood, but you can explore the city safely during the day.

Don't hesitate the smile and say buenos dias (or buenas tardes) when you meet people on the street. It is the custom here.

K

KenDP

I see something got left out of my previous message. What I said was that I wouldn't walk the side streets after dark, just as I wouldn't do so in a large American city where I didn't know the neighborhood, but you can go virtually anywhere in Puerto Plata during the day without fear

C

criss colon

I suggest you get on a bus for Santiago early one morning,Caribe Tours,Metro,or Terra Bus,all go. Spend the day walking around Santiago.Talk to everyone you meet.Someone will invite you to have lunch at their house,I garantee it! take an afternoon bus back north.Santiago is not like Puerto Plata,or Sto.Dgo. I live in S.D.,but I like Santiago. Criss

P

P.M.

Thanks for the input....although we were hoping to connect with some residents while on our trip your input has been wonderful and sounds like it will be doable. What we will do is simply get out into the populace and enjoy ourselves...during the day. How far is Santiago from Puerta Plata? Thanks!

Phil & Jill....NY

M

Marc

my wife and her friend were held up by a man in the middle of the day in Puerto Plata. Always be aware.

marc

M

Marc

Why don't you drop us an email. My wife and I live in Sosua and would be more than happy to meet up with you there for a cold presidente and further discussion on what to do/see in the DR outside of your resort.

I'll even buy your first beer for you when you get to Sosua!

marc

K

KenDP

Suggestion to go to Santiago is very good. Caribe Tour (big, comfortable, airconditioned) leaves Puerto Plata every hour on the hour. Trip takes about 1.5 hours. Take taxis in Santiago; very reasonable price. We like Santiago very much. Definitely not a tourist city; easy to get around, lacks the congestion, etc., of Santo Domingo; is 2nd largest city in the DR.

T

Tony Castaneira

lacks Congestion? Took me an hour and a half to cross Santiago last month.

A

Anny Mosity

I have walked around Santiago and many Dominican cities and never been invited to lunch. I have been asked to buy lunch, medicine, hospital, bail, etc. How do you do it?

J

jim

get out of the city *DC*

rio sanjuan,cabrera, never mind the city get up in the mountains....jim

C

criss colon

You make the first move.Tell them you are visiting and want to see how most dominicans live.My experiance is that even someone with a dirt floor is proud to have a visitor in their house.(I know who is looking for a handout,so don,t start!)I was in Villa Altagracia drinking a great cup of coffee,"Where did you get this coffee?" "I asked" "Right there!" ansewered my host.From the coffee bush growing right thru the window! Now that,s fresh!Criss

P

PITA

TO ANNY MOSITY: Re: The real Dominican

Ditto your response !!!!!
pita

R

RickW

This is probably too late according to the dates in this thread, but this is MY experience (Sosua). ( maybe I'm just "lucky" or have an exceptional personality : ) ---- doubtful ) I have met people who I've trusted by INSTINCT. I've been invited to many, but have actually GONE to 2 of their "houses" (no idea exactly where, but way out and up and down many dirt roads by moto. They are so proud to show you their dirt floor house with no plumbing, which is not as big as just your kitchen or a single bedroom that most of us have. I have also had girls as well as guys, who work as bartenders, waitresses, beach vendors, or moto concho's, that I see frequently, bring there BAMBINOS to work with them for me to see. I also went to a place one weekend "the river", where Dominicans gather for fun and food and drink (cooked me a version of Sancocho, I'm still trying to make it at home). It was the best time I had on my vacation. Yes, there are those who you can't trust, or that are trying to take advantage of you, but so far, I've been able to tell the difference and therefore, continue to return. And I also take care of these people, with money or food, or gifts, not because they ever asked, or because I had to....but because I wanted too. I'd rather give them something than a "tour company".

C

criss colon

Rick,it,s never to late here!You have the "sixth sense", which most people lack.You can tell when someone is "sincere", and when you are being "scammed" This is of utmost importance in the RD.!!! "I" could have "written" your post! Many on this board will say you "were" scammed! That they only wanted the gifts! Thats because the lack "The Sense!" You, I,m sure, love the DR and "some" of it,s people,because you can "weed-out" the "Scammers!" from the sincere! Criss PS. I,m sure you do have an "Exceptional"personality!