Getting around Sosua

N

Nelly

My friend and I will be traveling to Sosua in a few weeks. This is our second time visiting. We are going all inclusive but would like to get out and enjoy some of the nightlife in and around Sosua. Our problem was that last time we had trouble figuring out what was a real taxi? As two women traveling alone, we would like some advice on the safest way to get around. If anyone can help that would be great! Many thanks!!
Nelly

A

AmyG

call ahead taxis

Ask for numbers at your hotel. They should be able to provide. Many taxis will also give you their business cards for re-calls on the return trip.
It is much safer to do it this way and thus avoid flagging down an unscrupulous provider.

have fun! :)

M

Marc

Motoconchos in Sosua are inexpensive, and my recommended method of travel within Sosua, so long as you know what the price is and let them know what you are going to pay BEFORE you get on. 5pesos anywhere in town during the day (per person) and 10pesos at night. Taxis are more expensive, but safer for the longer hauls, especially at night. Don't take a concho on the highway (to Cabarete, for example), night or day.

Travelling to Cabarete/Puerto Plata is best done on a guagua or publico during the day. Guagua is 5pesos to Cabarete, 10pesos to PP. Publico is 10 and 15 pesos during the day, 15 and 20 at night. Trouble with public transit is that you have to wait on the side of the road...which is ok in the day but can be scary at night.

"Real" taxis in Sosua are parked at taxi stands, not on the side of the highway near the Texaco. The real ones are beige, and in good condition...fairly easy to spot. Like AmyG said, get a business card if you like, and you can use the same one for most of your trip if you want.

Have a great trip!
marc

C

ChicacagoChris

There are taxi stands on both ends of Calle Pedro Clisante, one over by Perdomo Real Estate and the Farmacia and the other at the opposite end of the street by the Gringo jewelry store. For discos and the like, there will usually be some cabbies hanging out. The tan taxis are well marked though and those are the legitimate taxis. Always remember to set the price before you go.

N

Nelly

Thank you all for the information. Very much appreciated!
Nelly