Haitians protest discrimination in PR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Haitians protest in Puerto Rico about Dominican citizenship?

:D

That's almost funny.

I wonder if those Haitians were also illegal in Puerto Rico?

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I feel bad about the haitians thought... that court decision may come back and bite the DR in the ass... in front of the rest of the world it looks pretty racist and heavy handed...

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I feel bad about the haitians thought... that court decision may come back and bite the DR in the ass... in front of the rest of the world it looks pretty racist and heavy handed...

I wonder why "the Prince" allowed that to happen (after all, all those judges answer to HIM at the end of the day) in the first place.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Delite,

The protesters are Dominicans not some recent arrival Haitian national that can't speak Spanish. I am assuming many can be effected by this sentence. Besides, this picture was from a protest in the DR of Dominicans of Haitian ancestry. . USA needs to implement the same sentence specifically to Americans of Dominican descent. This is racist as it only targets Haitian origin.as Bob's children would be given Dominican nationality even if he didn't request it.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Who cares if it is racist.

DR has a right to set its own immigration policies and use any criteria it see fits.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Maybe, in our book, but not in THE EYES OF INTELLIGENT PEOPLE!

What intelligent people would that be, the other countries in the Caribbean that turn the Haitians away from their borders and repatriate them almost immediately.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Delite,

The protesters are Dominicans not some recent arrival Haitian national that can't speak Spanish. I am assuming many can be effected by this sentence. Besides, this picture was from a protest in the DR of Dominicans of Haitian ancestry. . USA needs to implement the same sentence specifically to Americans of Dominican descent. This is racist as it only targets Haitian origin.as Bob's children would be given Dominican nationality even if he didn't request it.

No they said it effects 34,000 people of other origin, non-Haitian. Of my children would, I'm a legal resident and my wife is Dominican.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
No they said it effects 34,000 people of other origin, non-Haitian. Of my children would, I'm a legal resident and my wife is Dominican.

Bob please. Even if you were illegal this would not effect you. You are considered an asset to improve their race "mejorando la raza". I have seen Colombians employees in the DR treat Dominicans less than. This sentence is solely for people of Haitian origin. I guess Vicini,Fanjul, Hasbun etc will be stripped of their Dominican nationality. Please tell me you aren't this ignorant.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob please. Even if you were illegal this would not effect you. You are considered an asset to improve their race "mejorando la raza". I have seen Colombians employees in the DR treat Dominicans less than. This sentence is solely for people of Haitian origin. I guess Vicini,Fanjul, Hasbun etc will be stripped of their Dominican nationality. Please tell me you aren't this ignorant.

All the above members of Dominican society entered illegally? That's more or less what you have suggested. Before getting too excited and throwing out insults, remember that things happen slowly in the DR. The government has said there will be a path to citizenship for these people. They are going to have to jump through some hoops that their grandparents were either too ignorant ( as in uneducated) or lazy to jump through ( like actually having papers or legal status). I doubt there will be any deporting to Haiti of anyone other than recent arrivals.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Who cares if it is racist.

DR has a right to set its own immigration policies and use any criteria it see fits.

so, then, i take it that you would be equally cavalier in your assessment if the USA decided to disallow Dominicans from entering the country because of ethnicity? i mean, it has a right to use any criteria it sees fit, right?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
so, then, i take it that you would be equally cavalier in your assessment if the USA decided to disallow Dominicans from entering the country because of ethnicity? i mean, it has a right to use any criteria it sees fit, right?

I think you're preaching to the choir gorgon - I believe GWOZOZO is Haitian.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
In this report tailed why Constitutional Court said are not Dominicans borns of Ilegals. Juliana: "Prefiero morir antes de que el TC me trate como extranjera" - Hoy Digital

That statement exist in Dominican Constitution from 1966 and the Lady was born after 1966 from Haitian parents.

http://bonoc.files.wordpress.com/200...icana-1966.pdf

TITULO III Derechos Pol?ticos.
SECCI?N I De la Nacionalidad.
Art?culo 11. Son dominicanos:
1. Todas las personas que nacieren en el territorio de la Rep?blica, con excepci?n
de los hijos leg?timos de los extranjeros residentes en el pa?s en representaci?n
diplom?tica o los que est?n de tr?nsito en ?l.
2. Las personas que al presente est?n investidas de esta calidad en virtud de
constituciones y leyes anteriores.
3. Todas las personas nacidas en el extranjero de padre o madre dominicanos,
siempre que, de acuerdo con las leyes del pa?s de su nacimiento, no hubieren
adquirido una nacionalidad extra?a, o que, en caso de haberla adquirido,
manifestaren, por acto ante un oficial p?blico remitido al Poder Ejecutivo, despu?s de alcanzar la edad de diez y ocho a?os, su voluntad de optar por la
nacionalidad dominicana

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
All the above members of Dominican society entered illegally? That's more or less what you have suggested. Before getting too excited and throwing out insults, remember that things happen slowly in the DR. The government has said there will be a path to citizenship for these people. They are going to have to jump through some hoops that their grandparents were either too ignorant ( as in uneducated) or lazy to jump through ( like actually having papers or legal status). I doubt there will be any deporting to Haiti of anyone other than recent arrivals.

I know a French guy who fled Paris for Santo Domingo, because he should have gone to jail there so better hidding in the DR. I can bet whatever you want that his sons/daughters ( if he decides to have a family in the DR) will have that citizenship.

Same remarks for The French community in Las Terrenas who few years ago, replaced French Guyana as a "convict settlement colony" (most of the crooks of south of France were settled there), not counting all the gringos convicts who took refuge in the DR (Canadians, Americans, Russians etc) fleeing Interpol. If I were a Dominican politician I would have expelled all this people, in a NY minute, because they can't bring anything posivitive to the DR except more crimes.

Bob sometimes your comments amaze me, are you not a foreigner in somebody's else country ?