Interviewing Lawyers

M

MaxxJaxx

I know my "First Impressions" post caused a little stir but I tell it the way I see it.

When I first arrived I decided I would apply for residency as soon as possible. Mostly for the Tax advantages residency offers.

I interviewed 3 Lawyers which were recommended to me from this forum and I finally picked Graciela Fermin as the best person to handle the paperwork. I will post later how the process turned out. As I tried to find out information about her prior to coming down here I thought I would post her latest address as she has recently moved.

Dra. Graciela Fermin N.
Edificio Louber III
Suite 1-1
Calle 0 Urbanizacion Torre Alta
Puerto Plata, R.D.
Tele 809 586 9534
email f.graciela@codetel.net.do

---------------
The scam I encountered by one of the expats was they could get my residency in 4 days for US$2300.00, even the most expensive lawyer doesn't charge that. I hope this helps others who are looking at getting their residency the legit way.

E

Ed and Mame

Thanks for that post, Maxx. We're trying to look into that, too, and will be waiting for your post regarding how the process (the "real" process) goes. We've e-mailed DR/US embassy, several times, but it's taking them forever to answer - not yet, so far! Thanks, Ed and Mame

A

Anny Mosity

Why on earth would you want to get residency? I know people who own several properties here, have owned various businesses and have NEVER been asked to show their residency in 25 years. You atre both thinking like gringos, not latinos.

Several months ago the PRD govenrnment warned everyone to get their residency within 45 days or face dire consequences. Andy, who is a law abiding citizen, insisted that this time they meant it. Well, the deadline has come and gone and I haven't heard of anyone in Puerto Plata having the slightest problem or being asked by anyone to show a cedula or residency papers,

Residency has only one purpose. To generate revenue for lawyers and government employees.

W

William Leslie

Re: Interviewing Lawyers(Anny Mosity)

It also gets you a Cedula which you need to get a Drivers Licence and enables you to cash cheques and things at many places like banks and stores and money changers etc.

E

ECH, MD.

Mr. Leslie,
I got all the things you mentioned, driver's license, cash checks, health insurance, bank account, etc. AND ALL WITH A PASSPORT. No cedula. And while we are at it, have never been asked for documents by any government official (police type) on the streets.

G

Grahame Bush

I agree with Anny Mosity & ECH in that in 9 years here I have NEVER been requested to show my residencia - my cedulsr is sometimes requested for cheques etc. but a passport WOULD surfice. I HAVE residencia & I would recommend peopkle to get it ALL IN DUE TIME!!! It is NOT a requirement in the first 3 months, not really essential for the first 6 months (or more) & should ONLY be applied for when you KNOW this is the country you wish to stay in!!!! Once your application papers are in & a application number issued, you are legal anyway - So DON'T FLAP!!!
Residencia is (supposedly) in the process of changing - 12 categories rather than 3 or 4 previously - which is right for YOU? How do you know until you have looked around & tested the water? You can then check prices of various lawyers (always check prices 3 or 4 times for everything & THEN haggle price with the person you choose!!). Good luck to all who apply - Grahame.

A

Anny Mosity

You can insure and drive your car in the DR with your foreign driver's licence. If you get a residencia you then should obtain a DR driver's license which is another fun procedure.
If you want a gun permit, you will need your residencia and cedula. The gun permit now costs RD 4,000 per annum to renew. My friends mostly want to sell their guns and permits to avoid the cost and hassles.

On the residencia application which I filled out years ago, it said in big letters: "Residence is no guarantee against deportation." There goes that reason.

If you want to transport your car and personal effects here when you move to the DR, your residencia theoretically allows you to do so duty free. Almost every one that I know who has tried this ended up paying anyway and wished that they had purchased those items here instead of shipping them. Nothing will increase your blood pressure faster than a few days spent explaining the law to a customs officer here.

M

Marc

As a Canadian citizen, having residency here precludes the Canadian government from getting its hands on my money.

marc

A

Anny Mosity

Marc,

Are you saying that you are a tax evader? Why not just have a Cayman Island or Turks and Caicos bank account?

R

Richard

Maybe you should wait a while before you decide who the scam artists are. When I lived in the DR a well known lawyer in Puerto Plata advised my partner and I that we should apply quickly for residence because immigration was due in Sosua in the near future and they would be deporting everyone without residencia or aplications in the works. of course he would give us a special deal. Guess what? It didn't happen. No immigration, no deportation even though we had a fairly high profile in town operating businesses and employing Dominicans.

A

azb

Its always good to have your papers straight and in a legal manner. I never have to worry about unnecessary deportation in case if a raid does take place. Maybe you will never be asked but what if the law changes and you are asked to provide the proof of your residencia?
I suggest, if you will only stay here for a few months or a few years and not planning on buying any property or making any kind of worth-while investment, then go ahead and live without the residency papers. However, if you plan other-wise, then make yourself legal and live without looking over your shoulders.
Many people who would encourage you to live without the legal residency papers could be the ones who don?t hold any kind of serious jobs nor live a normal life (living on cuba libres and young street hookers). Other individuals are old and retired and not looking forward to making any kind of investment in this country. For them, it?s ok to live as a tourist (a guest).
(P.S. I got my residencia (temporary) through Graciala fermin. She is super!!!! In less than 3 months, i had it all without any hidden costs or surprises. Good luck)

H

HongKong Fooey

Anny, I don't think he is saying this. Canadians, and most other nationalities other than the US (Aussies, Brits etc), do not pay taxes at 'home' when they live overseas. American citizenship, on the other hand, is quite expensive for us expats because we continue to pay taxes at home regardless of the source of our income or our legal residence. Without arguing this as fair or unfair, I would offer that perhaps Marc is a legal tax avoider rather than a tax evader. If so, he is a wise man. Regards.

W

William Leslie

Re: Interviewing Lawyers(ECH,MD.)

Hello Ech.
The passport I was told, is no longer valid to get a drivers licence and was discontinued some years ago. I originally applied with my passport and after MONTHS of waiting the licence office posted a letter on the wall listing everyone who had applied under a passport and stated that under new law that you now required a cedula to apply.
Regards to identification it is certainly a lot easier to carry around a small plastic cedula card than a passport and nobody tries to steal the cedula.
I also lived here for 10 years before obtaining a cedula or residency but finally got mine as I can not afford to be threatened with deportation like people I know (a hard working, honest, well liked lady and long time resident) who was actually deported for the ONLY REASON that they had no residency. Admitedly it is rare that this would happen BUT if one is here with your own company, your family and this is your HOME then you may not want to take the risk.

A

Anny Mosity

You simply have to state that you live outside Canada in order not to pay taxes. They do not require proof of residency.

E

Eddy

Re: Residency

I have also heard that in the case of a legal battle, if you don't have residency you have to deposit 1/2 million pesos or a bond for that amount before you can do anything.

M

MaxxJaxx

Not True Anny Mosity

I am not so much interested in becoming residence of DR but rather being declared a non residence of Canada under the Tax Act. The Supreme Court of Canada has declared that just leaving Canada even for many years does NOT mean you are not non resident for the purposes of the Tax act. You must obtain official residency in another country before they will declare you a non residence of Canada and ONLY then is any money made not subject to Canadian Taxes. I have been to Court over this matter in canada and I know the rules very good.

M

Marc

Not a tax evader, a tax PAYER. I pay taxes for the infrastructure and services that I use. I live in the DR now, and I therefore pay my income taxes here. I also pay for my power, my water, cable...etc, rather than steal it like most people in my neck of the woods do...

I do not agree with paying taxes to a country in which I no longer live, and no longer use any of their services. I am no burden on them, and they ain't gettin' my money!

Non-residency is very complicated. Being a legal tax resident of another country is one piece of the puzzle. I am still not 100% sure about whether it is required. I have heard that it is, and that it isn't...Given the enormous tax rate in Canada, I do not want to take the chance, especially given stories from people like MaxxJaxx.

Another reason to get residency is that you need a VISA/residency to work here legally. I know people that have had good jobs, but no VISA/residency, only to loose their jobs when immigration came knocking on the door of their workplace. How did immigration know? Because they pissed somebody off, and that person ratted them out.

Anyways, long post, in any event I anxiously await my residency.

marc

A

A Gringo in Puerto Plata

Re: Interviewing Lawyers(Graciala Fermin)

I also got mine through Graciala Fermin six years ago, I paid her at that time RD $20.000 expensive yes, problems none.
She is very good and well connected in the Capital( She will not flee with your money!)I was aware at the time that I was paying her more then others, However I got my residency were many people I have met DID NOT! with other Lawyers.