Prepaid GSM card

S

Svein

Hi,
Does anybody know if it is possible to buy a prepaid GSM phone card in DR? I have a tri-band Ericsson R520m (GSM 900, 1800 and 1900) which is supposed to work in DR, but as my Norwegian GSM provider has no roaming agreement with a Dominican telecompany I am looking for other solutions.

B

Bobs

With a (euro-bought) triband, I don't think it will be a great problem to reprogram your Ericsson's Subscriber Identity Module at a major DR-outlet that sells cellulars. With a DR-programmed SIM you'll be issued a (temporary) tel.number. You can then buy prepaid cards at any corner colmado on the island. Check with your Norge provider if they will reprogram the SIM upon your return. European providers tend to be territorial (SIM-locks) about that sort of thing. But I'm sure a vendor (other than where you got your cellular) with the right equipment can open the lock and reprogram your mobile for your country again. Not a major operation and EEU-rules will soon be outbanning the SIM-lock practice. Have fun !