You Can't Call 911 From France Telecom Cell Phones

E

Eric

It's amazing that you can't call 911 from France Telecom (Orange) cell phones.

I was on my way to work the other day on the Venezuela Avenue, near the corner of Presidente Vazquez, when I saw a trailer truck stopped in the middle of the street. In front of the truck was an elderly woman laying there with a few people assisting her. I'm not sure if she was unconscious or dead. Struck by the whole scene, my first reaction was to grab my cell phone and dial 911.

I was almost dumbfounded when I heard the following message:
"The Orange number you have dialed is not in service, or your subscription does not give you access. Please contact Orange customer services."

I was able to call my wife and ask her to call 911 for me from our home phone.

It is inconceivable that in this country there could be a telephone company selling cellular phones with the emergency numbers disabled. This is an irresponsible act by Orange and it shows their concern towards their customers.

If you feel insulted and annoyed by the lack of conscience by France Telecom I suggest you call their customer service at 809-859-6555 and complain. Or you if have any friends that have Orange cell phones please pass this message along to them.

C

criss colon

Re: You Can't Call 911 From France Telecom Cell Ph

Don,t bother calling 911,call Movi-Med.they actually know first aid!The 911 responders just "haul meat!"Criss

E

Eric

That's not the issue Criss.
The issue is that we're being sold phones that can't dial 911. If it would've been in another country they would have had to close shop or fix this problem.

A

a_andy

Welcome to the DR !

A friend of mine with many years' experience here says, "Remember where you're at (sic)."

C

criss colon

Come on Eric,what happens when you dial 911?Does something really happen?I wouldn.t want to be waiting for an emergency response team in the DR!Criss

E

Eric

Criss,
I think you're still missing the point.
But to answer your question, something does happen. I've called 911 for the fire department and the police, to help others, and in both cases help arrived.

Granted, emergency response in the DR cannot be compared to that of a civilized country, but it does work.

Now, back to my point, I think it's outrageous that France Telecom is selling phones that can't call for help. It's not the phone company's decision if you need 911 or not, regardless of it having a slow response.

It's a shame that Orange is doing that to its clients and there hasn't been any action taken against the company.

W

William Leslie

Re: You Can't Call 911(nada happens anyway) Ph

Some friends of ours had a robbery at their house about a year ago and called us as as the robbers were leaving. We called direct to the police station for approx 6 to 7 minutes but the line was always busy so we called 911 who promptly answered and told us we should call the police station as the line was busy and gave us the same number we had been calling and hung up.
I understand that our stations on the north coast area (Sosua in particular) often leave the phones off the hook or sometimes the boys are talking with their girlfriends for hours etc so it is impossible in the night to contact them for an emergency. Apparently the best here is to drive directly to the station to get someone.
HOWEVER yes I agree if this is so about Orange they should be forced to change this.