Health Care Question

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
Does anyone use any of the Federal Health Care plans (FEHB) such as BlueCross/BlueShield or the
Military Tricare? If so, how do they work in Sosua and Santiago?

Also, does anyone have experience with medical care in Sosua or do folks fly to go to Santiago
or fly back to Florida for serious medical issues.

Thanks
Harry

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have no idea if such medical plans from the US cover you in the DR. Medicare/Medicaid do not for example.
Perhaps with those plans you can receive medical care in the DR and be reimbursed by the state side companies?

As for who gets what care where, that depends entirely upon the person. Since I have medical insurance in the DR and no medical coverage in the US, I am unlikely to go back to the US for medical care at this time. If I need something done I will go to the best location in the DR I can find out about (and make it to, if time critical) when I need care. Santiago and Santo Domingo have more options, but for those on the north coast it may not be easy to use those options.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Acute care or trauma care ,Santiago or Santo Domingo anything else, the States

Jan 17, 2009
Medical care in Sosua, well, only if you're in such emergency that you can't go to Santiago or Santo Domingo. I go back to the US annually for check ups, etc., and any serious medical issues if there's a way/time of flying out of here, I would go back to the US.

CMC in Sosua takes all foreign insurance plans. In my experience having gone there a couple of times for really simple things, they just charge your insurance the prevailing rates in the US. If you pay cash, you pay local rates. Fraudulent practices if you ask me. I don't support insurance fraud. I pay cash if I really need to go there.

Check BlueCross/BlueShield website. I used to have that years ago. They have coverage in many countries outside the US, but you have to go to their participating providers.

Does anyone use any of the Federal Health Care plans (FEHB) such as BlueCross/BlueShield or the
Military Tricare? If so, how do they work in Sosua and Santiago?

Also, does anyone have experience with medical care in Sosua or do folks fly to go to Santiago
or fly back to Florida for serious medical issues.

Thanks
Harry

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
CMC in Sosua is good for minor injuries or illness, they take almost all insurance and they will check it out for you...we carry a Dominican policy and it has covered 90% of everything.....Dr Reyes is a great orthopedic doctor..just tore the tendons in my ankle and went to ER and they called him in, only problem is the amount of pain and lack of pain meds available. They gave me an injection of what we call Toradol in the US (which has been banned in the states for over 8 years due to kidney problems, adema and blood pressure issues) and then they gave me a script for the pills.not going to take because of the noted contraindications......How to get a decent pain med when needed might be a consideration if you need surgery!!!!

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Harry,

I had blood clots in my leg last year on the North Coast. My US insurance was not accepted by Bournigal Hospital. They only accept insurance purchased in the DR. Upon my return to the US I checked with my US insurer and they allowed me to file a claim with receipts and paid less a $250 deductible. If you are living in the DR it is better to buy your insurance there. It is pretty cheap compared to US insurance.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I have had treatment in Centro Medico Bournigal a few years ago for a minor matter and my Canadian out of country insurance paid for it - processed at the hospital. I know other people who had treatment there and their U.S. insurance was accepted.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yes US international insurance is accepted, but not Medicare, or Medicaid.