Attn: Pool installers, electricians, nerds!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
The house I am renting has a pool, sort of. At the moment it is a cement hole in the ground. It does not have a pump, filter, or chlorinater. There is no power to the pool area, and the closest power is about 500 feet away. The plumbing is intact, it used to have a pump and filter.

I have two options:

1. Purchase a traditional pump and filter system, and solar panels. I've been told this will be about $3,500

2. Purchase the Savior Floating Solar pool pump, and a drop in Salt Chlorine GeneratorAmazon.com: Solaxx CLG10A Saltron Retro Retrofit Drop-in Salt Chlorine Generator with Timer for Pools, 20,000: Patio, Lawn & Garden

The Floating Pool Pump and Filter is solar, and independent.

The drop in Chlorinator is not, it needs 120V AC. I would like it to run on solar. My question is, what size solar panel do I need. I have done the following calculations:

The Chlorinator consumes 1.5 amps at 115Volts= 172 Watts. It needs to run for 20 hours per day, so that is 30 aH.

A 60 aH deep cycle battery and 400 Watt inverter should be sufficient, correct?

To charge this, I would need to replace 30 aH, assuming I get 6 hours of sunlight, I would need a solar panel that charges at 5 amps/ hr at 12V= 60 Watts. I would need a 60 Watt solar panel?

Please be nice if I didn't calculate this correctly, or I am wayyy off!

I would need a 60 Watt 12(17.5) Volt solar panel, 60aH battery, and a 400 Watt inverter to run the Salt Chlorine Generator for 20 hours per day?!? I priced all this out on Amazon, and it came to about $1300

Thanks