Tasers and Mace for Christmas

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I just read the 13 murders post, and seeing as the Theivery season is upon us... My father in law is coming to visit. I am thinking of sending him tasers and mace from Amazon, among other things, and have him bring them with to save on shipping costs.

Can he come through customs/ immigration with tasers and pepper spray in his checked bag?

If he can't can those items be shipped?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wasp spray is just as effective as pepper spray, with a much longer 'reach'.

I know they sell tasers in SD, a couple of DR1ers have bought them there.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
No idea of law, but I always bring mace in luggage and a couple of years ago I brought over a taser ( or shocker thing that does not fire darts, uve got to touch him with it ) . No problem at customs....

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
You can buy all this on the corner of Churchill and Sarasota, there are also shops on Duerte. Not tasers as such but the hand held devices that sends a beam between the two points, maybe they are called tasers I'm unsure but they don't fire cables is what I mean $80 and something like 40,000 volts. You can also buy pepper sprays for $40, but they look a bit clunky to carry around casually. The taser zapper things are the size of a cell phone and fit in your trouser pocket or on your belt loop. They also sell none lethal pistols, advertised as none lethal but will floor someone for at least 30 seconds, how that works I dunno, but it seems the bullets are not metal, more like capsular things with lots of little rubber balls inside. The pistol itself is the same as a normal pistol but the handle is slightly bigger to compensate the gas canister.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
You can buy all this on the corner of Churchill and Sarasota, there are also shops on Duerte. Not tasers as such but the hand held devices that sends a beam between the two points, maybe they are called tasers I'm unsure but they don't fire cables is what I mean $80 and something like 40,000 volts. You can also buy pepper sprays for $40
These toys will not save your life. Buy a serious 9mm tool in the same shop.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012

Yes they will, fact, maze saves people from attack every day. Taser stun people and safe people including the police, every day. Killing someone is last resort to most people, 99% of people who own a gun will go through their life and never fire that gun in anger once. Worth the paperwork, expense? Maybe in the US but here? Not for me it's not, I'd rather have a holiday and go fishing than sit and polish a lump of steel I'll probably never use.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013

Well, as much as I would agree, these toys are for the wifey. She is not a gun fan. And, from what I have read here on DR1, having a gun makes you a target because people want to rob your for your guns. But, more importantly, I do not have residency nor do I speak Spanish well, so getting a permit to carry is not possible at the moment. I will at one point have a shot gun, I have heard you do not need a permit.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013

Well, as much as I would agree, these toys are for the wifey. She is not a gun fan. And, from what I have read here on DR1, having a gun makes you a target because people want to rob your for your guns. But, more importantly, I do not have residency nor do I speak Spanish well, so getting a permit to carry is not possible at the moment. I will at one point have a shot gun, I have heard you do not need a permit.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You can buy all this on the corner of Churchill and Sarasota, there are also shops on Duerte. Not tasers as such but the hand held devices that sends a beam between the two points, maybe they are called tasers I'm unsure but they don't fire cables is what I mean $80 and something like 40,000 volts. You can also buy pepper sprays for $40, but they look a bit clunky to carry around casually. The taser zapper things are the size of a cell phone and fit in your trouser pocket or on your belt loop. They also sell none lethal pistols, advertised as none lethal but will floor someone for at least 30 seconds, how that works I dunno, but it seems the bullets are not metal, more like capsular things with lots of little rubber balls inside. The pistol itself is the same as a normal pistol but the handle is slightly bigger to compensate the gas canister.

In Santo Domingo? I just moved, am located near Puerto Plata.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mace?

11rt5yf.jpg

i'm all for self defense but this seems to be a bit over the top.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
mace?

11rt5yf.jpg

i'm all for self defense but this seems to be a bit over the top.

Have you ever seen the medieval looking things kept behind colmados counters? Really, I've been go smacked a couple of times wondering what the hell someone would really do with these things.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sure...provide the thugs a way to mace and tase you until you give up the combination to the safe. You do realize that they have the advantage as YOU're the one not expecting to find someone in your bedroom, but they've been watching you the whole time.

A gun is probably even worse. Most people in that situation wouldn't be quick enough to shoot the perp and instead they're the ones who end up shot.

Really your best bet is to keep a baseball bat and/or a machete under the bed.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Sure...provide the thugs a way to mace and tase you until you give up the combination to the safe. You do realize that they have the advantage as YOU're the one not expecting to find someone in your bedroom, but they've been watching you the whole time.

A gun is probably even worse. Most people in that situation wouldn't be quick enough to shoot the perp and instead they're the ones who end up shot.

I fail to see the difference in providing the assailants with a taser, mace, machete, or baseball bat. I would much rather be tased, and yes I have been tased before, then hit with a baseball bat or chopped with a machete. Pepper spray to stop them from getting any closer and disorientation, taser to put them on the ground, and then once they incapacitated, a few boots to the head. I do agree that it probably better to just let them take what they want, and not be confrontational, but its nice to have some toys to give you the illusion of safety

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The best bet is to live in the place where you don't need any weapons under your bed in your own bedroom. And when you go outside, it's better to have a real gun or no weapon at all. Pepper spray? Your wife will spray a robber in his face and get a bullet in return. Electric shocker that require a body contact? You can be stabbed with a knife in return. Taser??? c'mon guys :))

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Have you ever seen the medieval looking things kept behind colmados counters? Really, I've been go smacked a couple of times wondering what the hell someone would really do with these things.

something like that?

k012cz.jpg

yeah, i need one to keep under the passenger seat...