Best way to send a 1 lbs package (Smartphone) to USA

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Encargopaq, EPS, other options? Anyone that has done it? It is a smartphone (190 USD) bought on eBay, but defect...

Thank you in advance.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Send it UPS or Fed Ex. Make sure there is a statement with the package on what you paid for the item. If you have the original invoice sent make a copy and send with it. It will cost you a minimum of $50-60usd to send it back. Is the seller paying for the shipment back?

LTsteve

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
No the seller is not paying for the return... so UPS and FedEx is out of the question. I might look for somebody going back to the US hmmm so Encargopaq or EPS in Cabarete/Sosua is not shipping to the US?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
inposdom, no joke. yes, dominican postal services. come to POP and send the package from the office in the city center. we are in the same position and we will use that. used it once before, arrived to the states with no issues. also a smartphone. 15-20 dollars.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
inposdom, no joke. yes, dominican postal services. come to POP and send the package from the office in the city center. we are in the same position and we will use that. used it once before, arrived to the states with no issues. also a smartphone. 15-20 dollars.

In the City Center? Can you be more precise? thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
avenida 12 de Julio with separaci?n (on the corner). (809) 586-4545 and (809) 910-4833.

we used them once before. it worked well. you get shipping number and everything. EPS and other private companies are very expensive, sadly.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we will be sending our item tomorrow. will let you know how it works out. i hear now they may charge more and some restrictions apply (value of the package and so on) so i will have more details tomorrow. not sure the seller will pay for all that.
dang :(

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
we will be sending our item tomorrow. will let you know how it works out. i hear now they may charge more and some restrictions apply (value of the package and so on) so i will have more details tomorrow. not sure the seller will pay for all that.
dang :(

Good luck and thank you very much. :) Please keep me updated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
update:
we sent the package and it was 898 pesos (when miesposo inquired with EPS they said 2500, btw).
if you send the package before midday it will leave POP around 1pm to SD. from SD it is handled by US postal services.
you receive a tracking number that you can track on US post website.
delivery time is from 5 to 6 working days.

they manage packages up to 35 kg.
you can send them all over the world, divided in 6 zones: zone 1 is PR, USA and canada; zone 2 is carribean islands; zone 3 is central and south america; zone 4 is europe; zone 5 is asia and zone 6 is africa and oceania.
off the limits are jewelry and inflammable materials. miesposo did not ask but i am sure restrictions apply to comestibles as well (i will check as i would like to send some coffee).
there is a different tariff for documents (slightly cheaper) and packets.

tariff example, packet of 1 kg:
to zone 1 = 990 pesos
to zone 2 = 1087 pesos
to zone 3 = 1245 pesos
to zone 4 = 1313 pesos
to zone 5 = 1366 pesos
to zone 6 = 1643 pesos

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
update:
we sent the package and it was 898 pesos (when miesposo inquired with EPS they said 2500, btw).
if you send the package before midday it will leave POP around 1pm to SD. from SD it is handled by US postal services.
you receive a tracking number that you can track on US post website.
delivery time is from 5 to 6 working days.

they manage packages up to 35 kg.
you can send them all over the world, divided in 6 zones: zone 1 is PR, USA and canada; zone 2 is carribean islands; zone 3 is central and south america; zone 4 is europe; zone 5 is asia and zone 6 is africa and oceania.
off the limits are jewelry and inflammable materials. miesposo did not ask but i am sure restrictions apply to comestibles as well (i will check as i would like to send some coffee).
there is a different tariff for documents (slightly cheaper) and packets.

tariff example, packet of 1 kg:
to zone 1 = 990 pesos
to zone 2 = 1087 pesos
to zone 3 = 1245 pesos
to zone 4 = 1313 pesos
to zone 5 = 1366 pesos
to zone 6 = 1643 pesos

Thank you very much!! Very useful information :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
update: in the USPS tracking page the status is "inbound out of customs". slow but almost there. sighs.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Dv8 ..that is some excellent info. .... How long have u had. That under your mattress??? Lol did not know they. Actually had different. Zones to a asia country??
2efj6sk.jpg

Last edited:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

I used Inposdom, and yes they have an office in Sosua. 880 pesos, for 1/2 lbs of SmartPhone. EncargoPaq wanted 2300 pesos. Package arrived today, 8 working days after I entered the office in Sosua.

Cutomer service, que?? -"Calendario?" -"No hay!!, Tu no tiene celular????" "Si..." I think the lady tries her best, but it felt like DR Monopoly long time ago. Had a Cuba feeling over the whole thing. I was in a good mood so I enjoyed it. Don't go there if you don't speak Spanish or expect EPS/EncargoPaq-service.

Last edited:

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

dv8, is the inverse true as well? Can I send a package there by USPS?