Sosua Rotary Club Starts Handwashing Campaign

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The representative of the Rotary Club of Sos?a, Ms. Loly de Esca?o announced the start of a hand washing campaign for schools and other public places.

Loly de Esca?o told that both the government, as the Rotary Clubs of the Dominican Republic and other institutions support this hand washing campaign. In Sos?a the campaign has started among the students of Colegio Luis Hess. It started with information by a health physician who brought the health benefits of hand washing under the attention of the students. In the Dominican Republic at each meeting extensively shaking hands is part of the culture. But frequently shaking hands is also a source for transmission of infectious diseases. Washing your hands before you shake them, is a good protection against the infection.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hello, my friend. oh, wait, let me wash my hands. hello, my frie... my friend? hello? why you walk away, my friend?

i would have forgotten, please find below a much better version of this article that makes just as much sense:
The representative of the Rotary Club of Sosua, you Loly de Esca?o announced the launch of handwashing campaigns in schools and other public places.
Loly de Esca?o said that both the government Dominican Rotary clubs and other institutions to support this campaign handwashing. In Sosua started a campaign among students of Colegio Luis Hess. It started with information by a health practitioner who has brought health benefits handwashing for students. In the Dominican Republic at each meeting widely handshake is part of the culture. But often shaking hands is also a source of transmission of infectious diseases. Wash your hands before shaking them, is a good protection against infection.

this guy needs to stop. i understand his literary ambitions but for the love of god, if you need to use google translate to write in english, consider sticking to your native language.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My experience is that hand shaking is less common in the DR than in the US. Here there have been times when I held out my hand the person offered his arm for me to grip rather than his hand. I never experienced that in the US.

dv8, a principle of journalism is to include something for everyone in an article. The Sosua News may be carrying that to an extreme by including something for those who want to bitch about the translation.

May 29, 2006
I worked at this retreat center and we were wasting hundreds of dollars by putting those tiny hotel bars of soap in the guest rooms. They only cost about 10 cents each but it was adding up(health code wouldn't allow bigger bars). So we switched over to pump soap to save on costs. But then people were actually stealing the pump soap dispensers and they were talking about going back to the tiny bar soaps, which were costing us close to $1000 a year~ for soap! We ended up fixing the prob by drilling holes in the tops of the dispensers. The pumps still worked, but they'd make a huge mess if someone decided to take them.

Promoting hand washing is all fine and good in the DR, but they are going to have to figure out how to prevent theft of soap. It's hard enough to keep them from them stealing toilet paper..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
diogenes of sinope seeing a rough looking musician commented: it is remarkable that with such face he chose a career in music and not in assault. here all i can say is that i will never stop being puzzled that a person with such language skills settled for journalism...

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Fix a liquid soap dispenser to the wall. In many hotels now even the shower gel and shampoo is done like that.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
My experience is that hand shaking is less common in the DR than in the US. Here there have been times when I held out my hand the person offered his arm for me to grip rather than his hand. I never experienced that in the US.

I think this is usually done if the person has wet or dirty hands.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
That's very true Frank, some of the bathrooms are very poor and not just in Dominican establishments!